PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

HowlingBlackWolf
01-25-2006, 02:27 AM
I'm new to tropical fish. I set up my first tank about a month and a half ago. It's a 30 gal Oceanic Cube, filtered by an AquaClear Power Filter 110. There are no live plants. Currently it's populated by 5 zebra danios, 6 rosy barbs, and one red-tailed shark.

My first question is about water changes. When I do water changes, should I remove the decorations from the tank? If not, how do I clean all of the gravel? I have a siphon gravel filter, but when I use it, I upset everything in the tank. And when I add water, it's cloudy for a few days afterward. I've been doing 25% water changes about every 10-11 days.

I started with 3 zebra danios, and after two weeks added the 6 barbs. After another week or so I added 4 more danios. Two of them disappeared, eaten by the barbs, I assume, because I found no dead fish in the tank. My water tests showed zero ammonia at this point. ph, nitrate and nitrite levels also were fine. About a week and a half ago, I added the red-tailed shark. My most recent water tests have shown increased ammonia levels. I did a 25% change yesterday, but the ammonia level did not go down. I replaced the carbon filter cartridge with an ammonia-removing cartridge today. I'm hoping that will help, but I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. From my reading, I assumed the water changes would keep the ammonia levels in check. I also thought that the fact that my filter is rated for 60-100 gallon tanks would keep it nice and clean. Is it possible to have too much filtration?

Also, recently I've noticed brown spots on the tank decorations, including the artifical plants. Is this some kind of algae? There's nothing growing on the insides of the tank. Should I be removing the decorations and cleaning them when I do a water change?

I'd appreciate any insights or suggestions that anyone can offer. Thanks in advance.

nick

Full3R
01-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Hey Nick,
Ok when you do the water changes u should clean the decorations as the algea on the can spread from the decoration around the tank.

As for the cloudy water i would recommend puting the gravelk through numerous washes while cleaning the tank.

And im sorry but i don't know much about the ammonia cures and other things of that relation

William
01-25-2006, 09:19 AM
I have to disagree to a certain extent as cleaning the gravel and the decoration each time you change water prevents you from getting a fully functional aquarium. You will remove too much of needed bacteria. You should never clean all gravel, it will cause higher ammonia levels in your aquarium in the long run.

Don't disturb the gravel more than you have to. Removing the gravel and washing it is only needed once every 1-2 years in a functioning aquarium. (Sometimes even more seldom)

Use your Siphon to clean the gravel even if stirs up some debris into the water. And remember that you’re not supposed to remove all debris in the gravel when you siphon it. Just work your way across the bottom and stick the siphon a little bit into the gravel and you'll be fine.

Regarding decorations. You shouldn't clean them every time you change water either but it can be needed every now and again. Like now to remove the algae. I recommend that you boil them as part of the cleaning.

HowlingBlackWolf
01-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Any insight into my ammonia issue? Could this be a result of overfeeding?

nick

William
01-26-2006, 05:35 AM
It could since your aquarium can handle less debris / left over food if you clean it to much.

HowlingBlackWolf
01-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but when you say "clean it too much" what do you mean? I've never "cleaned" the aquarium per se. All I've done is use a gravel vac when I've done water changes. I haven't removed the decorations to clean them (yet. I'll be doing that during the next water change, to remove the algae that's grown on them).

Any other ideas about how to address the ammonia issue? Other things that might cause it? I don't believe my tank is overcrowded, is it?

Does using an oversize filter help or hurt?

thanks again
nick

William
01-26-2006, 07:38 PM
ok.

To much would as an exampel have been if you hade removed and cleaned all the gravel when you changed the water. But judging form your last post i doubt thats the problem.

Regarding the ammonia: I have a few question to help solve that.
Did you cycle the tank?
how do you clean your filter? do you use cold or hot water for doing that?
How much and often do you feed?

I might add to the original post that itis doubtful that your barbs eat your danios. atleats before the died, they might have eaten the dead fish.

tzelinski7701
01-29-2006, 05:28 AM
sounds like your tank might be cycling...if so your amonia levels will be high for 2 to 3 weeks and then your nitrite levels will rise for same time period and then your nitrate levels will rise and then your tank has cycled

jenniiiiii
01-29-2006, 05:59 PM
ALL MY GUPPIES ARE DYEING EVER SINCE I PUT 3 NEW GUPPIES I BOUGHT IN THEIR AND I HAD A TANK WITH BABYS NOW ALL OF THEM ARE DYIENG THEY ARE LOOSING THIER TAILS AND I DONT KNOW WHY IM USING EVERY TYPE OF CEMICAL AND NOTHING IS GETTING BETTER.. PLEASE HELP

jenniiiiii
01-29-2006, 06:08 PM
PLEASE HELP ALL OF MY BABYS ARE NOW DYEING AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO STOP IT.. AT THE SAME TIME IM USING ALL THE DIFFERENT CHIMICALS THAT IM SUPOSE TO, AND NOTHING IS HELPING

Full3R
01-30-2006, 12:42 AM
if there loosing there tails it could be fin rot, or the 3 new guppies could be biting there tails off

SanBill
01-30-2006, 12:05 PM
We just set up our 55 gal fresh water tank a week ago. My husband had a loggerhead turtle skull that he has had for 30 years that he thought would look neat in the tank :D . We put it in about 3 days ago and have lost 2 fish and there is fuzz growing from the turtle head :!: so I took it out. Is there anything I need to do to our tank to medicate the other fish they are just guppys but we do like them and want other fish.

William
01-31-2006, 09:17 AM
It is not likely that the turtle diseases (likely fungus) can infect the fish.

The turtle might have eaten the "lost" fish. Or do you by lost mean that they died in a disease?

SanBill
01-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Yes they died, the turtle head was also dead it was a skull. I do believe that they had Ick. I have treated the tank and they seem to be much better. I never knew that there was so much to do with a fish tank but we do love it.

William
02-01-2006, 04:50 AM
It goes u and down. when something have gone wrong there are lots to do but when eveything is going right there is much less that needs to be done.