PDA

View Full Version : any fishermen/women out there ???

Crispy
12-17-2008, 11:50 PM
well, I must say, I've been fishing my whole life and thats part of why I love fish so much. Anyone else share an admiration for this great sport?? Lets see some fishin' pictures!!! Here's me with some rainbow trout from lake Erie. These fish put up a spectacular fight and are quite difficult to land. Nothing like a 10 minute fight with an 8 pound steelhead!!

Northernguy
12-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Nice catch!
I used to fish those lakes!I would much rather fish up here though!
I feel a whole lot safer eating the fish from lakes North of the great lakes.lol
I havent taken a picture of any fish I caught in the last 5 yrs.I have caught a lot of trout ,pike, pickeral and bass lately though!

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Ok Crispy you know how to make a fella jealous, those trout are awesome.
My bud keeps inviting me to Canada, I may have to take him up on his offer.

OscarFan
12-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Nice trout. I fish alot and now that the waters hard ill definitely be out. Heres my giant perch...
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj34/PerchFan/Gore/IMG_1131.jpg
:shappy:

mac
12-18-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi,
Nice catch. I am a Fisher man.

I love fish just as much as working posting on this forum, and keeping fish.

That is one nice size red Fin Perch.

mac

Northernguy
12-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Thats a nice perch! Great catch!thumbs2:

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 03:03 AM
Thats a cracking perch Oscarfan, did you catch it on a lure?

MCHRKiller
12-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Alas Ive never been fishing outside of an aquarium. The closest thing I ever have done to fishing is dremeling the sharp part off of a large fishing hook tieing a string to it and using it to hold a chunk of meat for my old tank of red bellies...theyd always go nuts if you faught back a little with them by pulling on the string. Nice fish tho, I wouldnt mind seeing that perch swimming around in a tank its a beautiful fish :)

Algenco
12-18-2008, 04:04 AM
I've been involved with fish/ fishing my entire life. Grandfather was a commercial fisherman who caught catfish, when I was 5 he knicknamed me "motor", stuck a paddle in my hand and away we went.
I've held a commercial guide license for 30 yrs.
I fish primarily for Striped Bass

I'll get some pics from my other computer and post a couple:hmm3grin2orange:

Algenco
12-18-2008, 04:14 AM
Her's a small Striper caught this summer

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/hunting%20and%20fishing/Tropicalfish085.jpg

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Her's a small Striper caught this summer

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/hunting%20and%20fishing/Tropicalfish085.jpg

Yes that's pretty small mate wow, awesome fish, striped bass right?

Algenco
12-18-2008, 04:30 AM
yep, that one is about 20#, I've boated 5 over 50#

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 04:33 AM
yep, that one is about 20#, I've boated 5 over 50#

Thats amazing, I wish we could get sport fish like that in these parts.

Northernguy
12-18-2008, 05:42 AM
I have always wanted to go fishing for bullnosed pike in Ireland!
Isn't that a game fish there? I believe thats what they are called.
I read about them years ago.It some kind of fish related to our Northern Pike.

Sasquatch
12-18-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm a very avid fisherman and I'm missing it a lot. Haven't had much time this year, but still managed a good catch late this summer. The big one was around 10 lbs, biggest walleye I've ever caught.

Lady Hobbs
12-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Wow. Some awesome fish here.

My mother fished (and hunted), I fished but my daughter is a fishing fool. Before she had her two kids, she was fishing every night. I only have a couple shots out of tons she's sent me, tho.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/carolo/Corie%20and%20Kids/Picture018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/carolo/Corie%20and%20Kids/019.jpg

Red
12-18-2008, 01:53 PM
I fish a lot... I like to fish for bass but i also love to bow fish for carp and gar..

Lady Hobbs
12-18-2008, 01:55 PM
I fished but don't know one bloody fish from another unless they are an Oscar, a silver dollar, a firemouth, an angelfish, a blue ram........etc, etc. LOL

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 02:35 PM
I have always wanted to go fishing for bullnosed pike in Ireland!
Isn't that a game fish there? I believe thats what they are called.
I read about them years ago.It some kind of fish related to our Northern Pike.

I never heard of bullnosed pike mate but there are huge common pike
and they put up a hell of a fight, I'm just envious of the bass walleye etc
that you get to go after lol.
Great pics btw guys, some awesome catches there.thumbs2:

Northernguy
12-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Your Pike fishing looks as good as ours.I found this about pike in Ireland.Nice fishing.http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/pike/pike.htm
If you ever want some good fishin',let me know before you cme up!LOL

Nobodynotime
12-18-2008, 06:28 PM
YEEYA!!!
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/nobodynotime/Fish/335631966_1150112901_0-1.jpg
Kinda sucks that outta all the fishing pics I had on my celly before I broke it, that this was the only one that made it on my computer! Hahaha

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 06:57 PM
YEEYA!!!
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp349/nobodynotime/Fish/335631966_1150112901_0-1.jpg
Kinda sucks that outta all the fishing pics I had on my celly before I broke it, that this was the only one that made it on my computer! Hahaha

They all count bud, I seen competitions won with smaller fish than that lol
thanks for the offer NG, you may live to regret it.:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
12-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Just make sure its summer LOL thumbs2:
Winter here is a b*tch!

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Just make sure its summer LOL thumbs2:
Winter here is a b*tch!

I've seen the pics of your winters mate and i'm not really into
ice fishing lol, I think i'll pass on winter.:22:

Northernguy
12-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Its pretty bad when you have to dig through 5ft of snow before you hit ice!lol
Do you fish the pike at home.Most of the world records are recorded there.I know of lakes up here with record fish but you need a plane to get there.
LOL here is a tank size Pickeral!

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Do you fish the pike at home.Most of the world records are recorded there.I know of lakes up here with record fish but you need a plane to get there.

The biggest pike I have caught was a 28lb specimen on a dead roach in winter,
you'll have to take my word, no pic evidence lol but I have seen specimens caught that are way bigger than that, the Irish record is 42lb 12oz,
here's a link to a few other record pike ...

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/aboutpike/records.html

Crispy
12-18-2008, 07:24 PM
wow... nice fish all.. that striped bass was impressive algenco... here's a 43.5 inch, 9.5 pound northern pike from Lake Nippissing up north some years ago.

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 09:19 PM
wow... nice fish all.. that striped bass was impressive algenco... here's a 43.5 inch, 9.5 pound northern pike from Lake Nippissing up north some years ago.

Nice catch Crispy.thumbs2:

Northernguy
12-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Thats a good sized pike Crispy!
Thanks for the link Brookfish.Those are nice fish!
I am sure there are fish that size out there still.

cocoa_pleco
12-18-2008, 10:27 PM
tried fishing when i was young and went 2 dozen times but i could never catch anything. 2 closest times were i had a bit in a deep lake one time and in a small river i usually offroad on, i got some pike eyeing my bait in shallow water but none wanted to bite. gave up on it a few years ago, never caught anything!

Crispy
12-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Nice catch Crispy.thumbs2:

he's mounted and hanging around in my living room now :)

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 11:19 PM
he's mounted and hanging around in my living room now :)

You'll have to post a pic of that mate.:22:

mac
12-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi,
Guys. Seems that this thread has taken off. I will try and dig up some pics of the fish i have caught. I have managed to get a 150 kg Manteray. That was fun bringing, on only 40 pound nylon.

mac

mightymike59
12-19-2008, 10:35 AM
I have also been fishing my entire life and can apreciate a good catch. But i must also say that im a firm beleiver in the catch and release program so my grandchildrens grandkids will enjoy the same sport. Although i acasoinally keep a walleye or catfish to eat.

LORENZO
12-19-2008, 10:45 AM
:fish: I have caught salmon i have a cabin near a salmon river. Lots of cod. But now being a "serious" fish keeper I won't fish. can't hook anything anymore. What is a walleye by the way?

Sasquatch
12-19-2008, 01:25 PM
LOL here is a tank size Pickeral!

Well, if you want to get into record (small) fish ... here's my pic.

The only catch ice-fishing that afternoon. At least it wasn't too cold.

My real record (small) is a 3" long, 6g perch ... sorry no pics.:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
12-19-2008, 05:24 PM
LOL Great catch Sasquatch!thumbs2:
That pic I posted was my pops big catch of the day.He made up for it the next day with a few really nice Pickeral.All over 7 lbs.I had more pics on another computer but the line got struck by lightening one night.Thank god the rest were laptops. I know I have more pics somewhere but I will have to scan them first.They are all real pictures!thumbs2:
Lorenzo a Walleye is a Pickeral.Does that help?

Crispy
12-19-2008, 07:37 PM
here's something I've never seen before, nor has any of the fisherman I've talked to. My dad caught this BLUE PERCH!! We catch a thousand perch a year and we've never ever seen one.. this photo was not doctored in any way...

Northernguy
12-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I have seen blue perch before.I don't know why they turn blue either.
LOL I guess the odd blue one pops out now and then.
They sure would be nice in a tank!

Brookfish
12-19-2008, 10:01 PM
here's something I've never seen before, nor has any of the fisherman I've talked to. My dad caught this BLUE PERCH!! We catch a thousand perch a year and we've never ever seen one.. this photo was not doctored in any way...

Wow stunning fish.thumbs2:

KingFisher
12-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Nice, Crispy! We catch a few of these guys ice fishing on lake Erie every winter. They lack the pigment that usually makes them yellow. They are pretty rare and it's always a surprise when we pull one up.

Crispy
12-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Nice, Crispy! We catch a few of these guys ice fishing on lake Erie every winter. They lack the pigment that usually makes them yellow. They are pretty rare and it's always a surprise when we pull one up.

I've seen a news story with a blue pickeral, but never a perch... makes sense what you say about the pigment, I think that was the reason they gave for the pickeral. Lake Erie has some stellar fishin' when you know what you're doing.. thats where we get quite a few rainbows from!!

Algenco
12-21-2008, 08:12 PM
These stripers were caught in 1 hr using 2 rods , 25-30# each

It was the young fellows birthday , what a present

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/hunting%20and%20fishing/July2007174.jpg

Algenco
12-21-2008, 08:13 PM
another from the same area , these 3 of 8 boated that afternoon were all over 30#

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/hunting%20and%20fishing/lc2.jpg

Crispy
12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
wow, those look like some serious fish algenco. Beauties!!! thumbs2: :19:

Algenco
12-21-2008, 08:17 PM
wow, those look like some serious fish algenco. Beauties!!! thumbs2: :19:

love summer striper fishing :hmm3grin2orange:

when you find a large school they eat everything! 3-4 on at a time is common

Northernguy
12-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Where did you catch those beauties! Nice fish!

Algenco
12-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Where did you catch those beauties! Nice fish!

Lake Cumberland , Kentucky
over the years I've pulled out 5 over 50# and had a world record within 5' of the boat when the hook pulled, estimated around 75#

Northernguy
12-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Thats a b*tch! lol I'll bet you think about that fish every cast!:fish:
My brother caught the biggest pike we have ever seen a few years back.It was a small out of the way lake.It took chains and a good winch to get in and out with my Bronco,but was well worth it.We could have had our limit in about 15 minutes but waited until the end of the day to keep any.
I would have put that up against a few world records.Once he got it beside the boat,he decided to just remove the hook and let it go.We didn't even have to take it out of the water.Thankfully the hook was barely in the side of its mouth.I let go of the tail and it casually swam away.It splashed us from about ten feet away.

Crispy
12-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Thats a b*tch! lol I'll bet you think about that fish every cast!:fish:
My brother caught the biggest pike we have ever seen a few years back.It was a small out of the way lake.It took chains and a good winch to get in and out with my Bronco,but was well worth it.We could have had our limit in about 15 minutes but waited until the end of the day to keep any.
I would have put that up against a few world records.Once he got it beside the boat,he decided to just remove the hook and let it go.We didn't even have to take it out of the water.Thankfully the hook was barely in the side of its mouth.I let go of the tail and it casually swam away.It splashed us from about ten feet away.

You got great pike fishing up north there NG!! Everytime I go north, I make sure to bring my fishin' pole. So many little out of the way lakes that hardly anyone fishes. Like you say, just getting to them is the hard part!

Crispy
12-23-2008, 03:09 AM
here's my dad with some rainbow trout from the niagara river (part of lake ontario). He's a huge fisherman and taught me everything I know.

jb300m01
12-23-2008, 03:40 AM
Beautiful stripers!

Here is a carp my father caught at Raystown a few years ago:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/5/52575/fish/1.JPG

Saugeye (I think)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/5/52575/fish/saug1.jpg

My fav:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/5/52575/fish/fish-1589.jpg

Caught years ago in a farm pond. There was a goldfish just as big but it died. And no, this is not one of the fish that come up to you begging for food when it sees you. If he sees you, you will not see him the rest of the day :goldfish: He always hangs around 3 huge mirror carp (http://www.leics.gov.uk/mirror_carp.jpg). Boy do they put up a fight!

Crispy
12-23-2008, 06:41 AM
here's me and a pretty big carp outta lake St. Clair.

Crispy
01-09-2009, 10:12 PM
My buddy just came back from florida (where he is from), and he took this pic of his uncle bringing in a really big grouper...

Northernguy
01-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Did he keep it or not try to get it in the boat?
Thats a nice catch!thumbs2:

Ghostknife
01-09-2009, 11:38 PM
I am thinking about taking the sport up, however I am a bit nervous about killing them! Soft, I know! :hmm3grin2orange:

Algenco
01-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Did he keep it or not try to get it in the boat?
Thats a nice catch!thumbs2:

Goliath grouper aka "Jewfish" are federally protected, you can not remove them from the water

Crispy
01-10-2009, 04:18 AM
Goliath grouper aka "Jewfish" are federally protected, you can not remove them from the water

Apparently this fish was way too heavy to get into the boat! But what a fight it musta been! He said 70 minutes to reel it in! Can't beat some deep sea fishin' !!!
That would wear me out after about 20 - 30 mins.

Northernguy
01-10-2009, 05:12 AM
I don't think I would mind the battle.thumbs2:
Know matter how much it hurts!:hmm3grin2orange:

atomicjade
01-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Jew fish get up to about 800 lbs and I wouldn't be surprised if there were bigger.

Are there any saltwater fishermen here? I've grown up offshore fishing with my dad and my uncle who is a charter boat captain. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures on the computer but I'd love to post some old pics of back in the day when it wasn't illegal to catch those huge groupers... :)

Ghostknife
01-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Jew fish get up to about 800 lbs and I wouldn't be surprised if there were bigger.

Are there any saltwater fishermen here? I've grown up offshore fishing with my dad and my uncle who is a charter boat captain. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures on the computer but I'd love to post some old pics of back in the day when it wasn't illegal to catch those huge groupers... :)

I used to Crab fish when I was a kid, in Wexford, Ireland (for anyone who may know where that is). Always threw them back though. I remember one pinched my finger. Hurt quite badly. Oh and just a tip if you would like to go crab fishing, don't use baby sharks as bait, it doesn't work, lol
(please note that I was about 9, and usually it was just a bit of meat on string, except for the baby shark, which was dead, and tied onto my rope). The Crabs would hold on til you got them out of the water. Wasn't proper crab fishing, but certainly was fun

reptile dude007
01-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I like salt water fishing the best
Yes I know what I was calling sand bass were really sand dabs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU1tXWo6T_8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg7U0kS1mJk&feature=related

reptile dude007
01-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I use to go fresh water but we nether caught any thing. My dad and I are working on a 20 ft boat right now so we can go any time we want :).

Glub
01-12-2009, 01:43 AM
I haven't been fishing in years but used to go every year until I was about 16...

I used to go salmon fishing with a family friend who owned a rig.

Somewhere in a box in a closet there's an hour long video of me fighting a 30lb salmon back when I was about 10. Of course I had someone standing behind me with 1 hand on the rod so the tugging didn't damage my arm at that age, but my arm was still pretty dead by the end of it.

The family's got another good picture of me when I was about 13 or 14 (barely) holding up a scale with a 34lb coho hanging from it that I also caught in Lake Ontario. I was old enough by that point to bring it in on my own, luckily it didn't put up as much of a long-winded fight as the 30lb.

VERY good salmon fishing in that lake...

Crispy
01-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes, there is very good salmon/trout fishing in Lake Ontario... Lake Erie also..
We go every summer for rainbows.

Northernguy
01-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I fished lake Ontario for a couple of years. I really didn't enjoy the water but catching a big Rainbow made forget about it until we got close to shore.
The smell is retchid!
Apparently, Lake Ontario has some of the cleanest rainbows around.That came directly from the Game Warden.lol
I don't know if I can believe that after fishing up here for most of my life.The water is just too messed up for that.
I was scared to eat it.

Glub
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
The cleanest fish are caught in the dirtiest water? Riiight...

Deleted User
01-13-2009, 04:47 PM
I have done both River , lake and sea fishing. I would love to catch a pike one day though. I recon that would be a hell of a fight. :ssmile:

My first go at sea fishing was quite an experience. I was about 14 years old and I was fishing off a pier. I caught a young mackerel. I reeled it in and threw it back into the water a seagull flew down snatched it out the water and flew off with it. :ssuprised:

Those are some cool fish you guys have caught.

Northernguy
01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Seagulls never play by the rules!
I would love to salt water fish one day.:19:

Crispy
02-13-2009, 08:14 PM
I thought I would revive this great thread when I found this article... this is about a 30 minute drive from my house in Wheatley, Ontario. Right out of Lake Erie... here is the complete article...

NO COMPUTER TRICK PHOTO HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS IS ONTARIO!!!!!!!!!
FYI: This Sturgeon is Still alive , just worn out from the fight.
They turned him loose after the photo. This Sturgeon was caught at TWO CREEKS CONSERVATION AREA,
Wheatley, ON (at Lake Erie) 11/19/2007 It weighed out at over 1,000 lbs
and measured out at 11'1'. It was 56' around the girth;
took over 6 and a half hours, and 4 dozen beers, for the 4 guys taking
turns at the reeling it in. Any Sturgeon OVER five feet has to be
released unharmed and cannot be removed from the water. They are
brood/breeding stock and probably older than most of us.

Deleted User
02-13-2009, 08:20 PM
OMG that thing is huge. Thanks for sharing Crispy.

I'm glad to know they put them back. :ssmile:

mxgibby911
02-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Love fishing got a great little dam by my house and its loaded with all kinds of stuff and good sizes, everything from needlenose gar, carp, and bass. to all kinds of panfish. Even saw a couple of fish there i had never seen before like a red horse. Want to go up to great lakes this summer and take a charter too. If you want a good time get a light rod some corn and wait for a carp. set your drag loose and have fun.

Nightside_Eclipse
02-13-2009, 08:50 PM
I LOVE saltwater fishing.

The best fight I ever had was a very unexpected one...

I hooked something that felt massive and was kicking my butt.

I fought it a good 30 minutes then it finally came up....

And was a huge GREEN SEA TURTLE!!!

He broke the line and got away before we could cut it though... we didn't want to harm the big guy!

cocoa_pleco
02-13-2009, 10:37 PM
OMG that thing is huge.

hate to sound like a kid but...

THATS WHAT SHE SAID! ROFL, sorry, i had to

Northernguy
02-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Crispy, I saw that when it was on the net a while back!
It would be a dream catch,Especially after 4 dozen beer!:hmm3grin2orange:

escamosa
02-13-2009, 11:03 PM
That's a huge fish would of taken some dragging in.

I caught a stingray when i was about 9, that was a bit of work getting him up to the boat, i reckon he was about 28 inches across.
I remember my dad helping me hold the rod, it was like tying to drag a large plastic bag through the water.
But the effort was worth it, one of the best eating fish you will find.thumbs2:

Crispy
02-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Crispy, I saw that when it was on the net a while back!
It would be a dream catch,Especially after 4 dozen beer!:hmm3grin2orange:

imagine if it just broke the line after 4 hours. you'd be pretty ticked off fighting it the whole time and never getting to see it. I've fought fish for about a half hour and they've snapped the line... who knows what it could have been...

Northernguy
02-14-2009, 12:17 AM
imagine if it just broke the line after 4 hours. you'd be pretty ticked off fighting it the whole time and never getting to see it. I've fought fish for about a half hour and they've snapped the line... who knows what it could have been...
I once caught an I don't know! lol
It towed me around the bay for a good half hour before I snapped the line.
I think it was either a huge lake trout or a big snapping turtle!

HomaridNoob6
02-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Oh man, i so wanna go out fishing right now after seeing this thread. Last few years I haven't been able to do anything real serious. Some fishing at a terrible local pond where you catch weird stuff thats inedible, and a few charter trips.
When I was younger i worked 2 crabbing boats on the east coast, and two private charter companies, one that fished back bays for flounder, and one that took small groups out for tuna and some wreck fishing mainly for tog. Also worked as a deckhand on a private deep sea charter boat here on the west coast mmmm Lingcod. It's hard work, but it's a lot of fun if your into it.I have a good many actual photographs (the ones they used to print on that stuff called paper) of other people's catches, but probably only one or two of myself, seeing as most of the time i wasn't fishing anyways. I think I'm gonna walk down to the beach now and try for some surf perch, got a bit of daylight left!

Crispy
02-14-2009, 05:07 AM
I once caught an I don't know! lol
It towed me around the bay for a good half hour before I snapped the line.
I think it was either a huge lake trout or a big snapping turtle!

ya really never know whats on the other end of your line until you reel 'er in.
My dad took 45 mins to pull up a 20lbs bullhead catfish last summer. We all swore it was a muskie or sturgeon but alas, who woulda thunk it?? a big ol' catfish!!