PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching rocks?

aceofspades991
12-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking into converting my salt water tank to fresh water and I was wondering if theres a way to re-use the live rocks. I'd like to bleach them and get them to the point where they would be safe to put in a fresh tank. Is this possible? How would you do it?

Thanks.

Sir Tristen
12-17-2008, 06:17 PM
You could put them in a 10% solution of bleach and water for a day or so, then rinse and soak and rinse and soak until you can't smell the bleach anymore. That would probably get rid of anything you don't want to transfer.

gourami*girl
12-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking into converting my salt water tank to fresh water and I was wondering if theres a way to re-use the live rocks. I'd like to bleach them and get them to the point where they would be safe to put in a fresh tank. Is this possible? How would you do it?

Thanks.

I have bleached rocks that I found in a river by soaking and scrubbing them in 10% bleach and rinsing extremely well. I have no idea about how that would work for live rocks from a salt water tank. What kind of rocks are they?

Another thought, aren't live rocks pretty expensive, like 5 dollars a pound or so? Maybe you could sell them and go find your own free rocks to use in your freshwater tank. Might help a little for funding new equipment too! thumbs2:

Northernguy
12-17-2008, 07:27 PM
I would find a buyer for your live rock and go buy some nice decor for FW.
Contact the lfs and see if you can make a deal.

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 10:05 PM
:fish: :fish: Slate is an excellent rock for Freshwater tanks.

stubbytheplecostomus
12-19-2008, 04:05 AM
most fish stores will buy your live rock