PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

boston
01-27-2007, 01:43 AM
my catfish and spiny ell have small white spots on them what is it and what can i do since they are scaless?

Lady Hobbs
01-27-2007, 01:45 AM
Sparklie white spots like salt or larger white spots like fungus?

boston
01-27-2007, 01:46 AM
small like salt, i also have a young clown knife in the tank.

Lady Hobbs
01-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Your tank has ICK then and can reproduce very quickly. You'll need to treat your whole tank with Quick Cure or Jungle Labs tablets for ICK. Both contain
Malachite green which will change the color of your tank water. Remove the carbon from the tank before using and replace it after treating and do water changes to remove it from your tank again.

You can also raise your temps to about 82 to speed up the life cycle of ICK but you can't use aquarium salt with these guys.

It's not uncommon to get ICK with new fish or fish that's being used to cycle a tank, which yours are. Problem is, this medication will most likely set your cycle back again. Sorry. Treating them is necessary, however, or the ICK will eventually get into their gills and smother them.

boston
01-27-2007, 02:20 AM
actually ive had the fish for about a month now but the tank has been cycled for about one year and has had fish in it for just as long.
thanx for the info and i will get to treating them tommorrow when i can do a water change before adding the meds.

Nautilus291
01-27-2007, 03:42 AM
I just found white spots on one of my gouramis, go figure. I think hes stressed becuase I have the krib in with them. I took him out and im hoping that it doesnt spread. Just in case Im getting the krib out of there. I just got a 29g today so im going to set it up as quickly as I can.

Lady Hobbs
01-27-2007, 01:06 PM
You will Adam. ICK is not killed while on the fish but when it falls off the fish and is reproducing on the bottom of the tank.

Read here how this ICK/ICH lives on.

http://www.fishlore.com/Articles/CuringIch.htm

Lady Hobbs
01-27-2007, 01:08 PM
actually ive had the fish for about a month now but the tank has been cycled for about one year and has had fish in it for just as long.
thanx for the info and i will get to treating them tommorrow when i can do a water change before adding the meds.

Sorry Boston, I thought this was the tank going thru a cycling. Hope you get those buggers killed off right away.

boston
01-27-2007, 08:32 PM
this morning i got some quick cure did a 50% water change and gravel now i have my filters with carbon in them for a while so that all the particles in the water can be taken out with some other stuff.once thats done i will take out the carbon and add a half dose of the meds to the tank for the next 2 weeks to completely destroy the ick.
and pray for all the fish to pull through.
2 meesi catfish
1 cory
2 chinese algea eaters that dont eat algea
1 pleco