PDA

View Full Version : Betta persephone

Mvjnz
12-17-2008, 02:07 AM
I was just offered some of these, but can't find much info when googling them. Does anyone here keep them?

s72450
12-17-2008, 06:28 AM
I've never heard of this before, is it a breed of Betta?

Dave66
12-17-2008, 06:39 AM
It's a species of Betta, of which there are several, some which are mouthbrooders.

Here you go, Mvjnz (http://www.ibcbettas.org/smp/species/persephone.html). If you want to know more, just ask.

Dave

wolf_eyes
12-17-2008, 06:50 AM
wow those are some beautiful fish

Mvjnz
12-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks Dave:)

That site provided pretty much what I wanted to know, and I've told the guy I'll buy them, he just needs to ask his girlfriend if it's ok for him to sell them..

He has 4, but I might just go with 2 of them, depending on price.

Northernguy
12-17-2008, 02:35 PM
WOW ! They need some seriously soft water.A ph of 5!
Neat looking fish though!:22:
Mvjnz are you getting some?

Mvjnz
12-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Still waiting to her back from the seller. He says he keeps his at pH 7.

I've also been offered some smaragdinas now, and I'm contemplating whether or not I can justify buying both species:)

mac
12-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Hi,
I have seen and heard of these. But unfortunalty I can't get them in NZ as far as I know. :spam: I was really wanting these.

Here is a link that might help. Also I find Fish Base great to use.

http://www.fishbase.us/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?id=52394

mac

Red
12-18-2008, 02:30 AM
hmm i have only head of them, do not know much about.. But when you do get them pictures would be very nice :) GL with them

Northernguy
12-18-2008, 02:45 AM
I hope you get the ones you want! :19:
I'm looking forward to pics when you get them!:22:

Mvjnz
12-18-2008, 03:03 AM

I'm having so much trouble deciding what to do. The person with the smaragdinas only has one pair left, so I'll have to let her know pretty soon. I don't even know if the guy with the persephones will be able to sell them to me, so to pass up the smaragdinas before I know if I'm getting the persephones would be silly.

But I don't know when I'll hear from him... Maybe I should email him and ask..

Mvjnz
12-18-2008, 06:07 AM
It's settled, I'm getting 3 or 4 persephones:) (He's not sure how many he has, but I'm getting all of them.)

Not sure when I'll be able to pick them up, either this weekend, or not until after the 29th, due to us going away.

Not sure if I will get the smaragdinas. I'm getting some money for Christmas, so I can afford it, but I can only imagine my partner's reaction when I tell him how much they are... He will think I'm mad!

Dave66
12-18-2008, 06:34 AM
Cool, Mvjnz, Betta species off the beaten track are always interesting. You'll have to give us a report on your impressions of the persephones after they settle in.

The trick is to never tell the significant other what the cost is :) Or anyone else, for that matter . . . . . they might have you committed.

Dave

Mvjnz
12-18-2008, 06:59 AM
Yep, I've had an interest in wild bettas for a while now:) Would love some channoides one day...

I'll definitely take photos etc:)

s72450
12-21-2008, 04:29 AM
This must be the time of year for interesting species of Bettas because I noticed today at PetCo they had a whole display for King Bettas, this really large breed of Betta that resembled a female to me. They had beautiful rich coloring though.

Mvjnz
12-21-2008, 04:42 AM
I've never seen wild bettas in any pet store here, most of them are really difficult to come by...

But seeing as this thread has come up again, here's an update. The guy only found 2 persephones when checking his tank, so I'm only getting 2, and he also offered me 2 young smaragdinas at a very good price. This means I'm not getting the expensive breeding pair of smaragdinas which I was thinking about getting. But the nice price also means I have no idea what gender they are.

Oh and before I was getting the bettas, I was trying to get hold of a new killispecies, and was asking around but no luck. Then after I was offered the bettas, someone offered me the killis I wanted, but now I have no room for them, due to getting 2 betta species instead of one.

And that is kind of a bummer, because I love killis. But I am of course very happy with the outcome of my betta hunt.