PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions about angel fish please

lovleeko
12-17-2008, 02:02 AM
I am thinking about getting an angel. Some of you already told me they will get along with dwarf cichlids (Bolivians and blue rams). Do they get along with each other. I'm totally clueless about angels. I can't seem to find a great source of info about their tank mates. Anyone know a good source? Can I put two in a 55 gallon? The tank mates I'm a little worried about are the bleeding hearts (as usual). Thoughts? Suggestions?

Red
12-17-2008, 02:06 AM
IMO it is a hit or miss, and if they spawn they get real mean, and will harass all the other tank mates.. I think it all depends how mean they are when they breed..

lovleeko
12-17-2008, 02:09 AM
So maybe getting just one would be better?

IMO it is a hit or miss, and if they spawn they get real mean, and will harass all the other tank mates.. I think it all depends how mean they are when they breed..

lovleeko
12-17-2008, 02:44 AM
LOL. I couldn't find the angel fish section. Thanks to the mod squad:hmm3grin2orange:

Algenco
12-17-2008, 03:24 AM
You shouldn't have any problems, just make sure tankmates are too big to eat

lovleeko
12-17-2008, 09:49 PM
K thanks. I hope not.

You shouldn't have any problems, just make sure tankmates are too big to eat

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 09:53 PM
:fish: :fish: :fish: Why do you hesitate lovleeko to put bleeding hearts in with the angels. i find them good with angels. The gouramis work really well with angels. They do need a large tank though. They need room and they will grow quickly. Bleeding hearts I am not finding to be aggressive but i know others do. I have three bleeding hearts in with my angels and three in with the discus. They have not bothered my neons or harlequins. Angels do better in groups. Don't put three together.

smaug
12-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Angels do fine by themselves,I have kept mine that way for over a year and a half now.IMO that is the best way to keep them if you dont have the stomach for watching them kill one another.

TazManiac
12-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Definitely keep just one if you plan on having other tank mates. Two or more is fine if it is a dedicated angel tank and you have the room for them to pair up and have their own space.

lovleeko
12-18-2008, 01:51 AM
The bleeding hearts can definitely get aggressive. So that is why I'm worried. I am really worried about my rams with the bleeding hearts. We'll see I guess. And my friends gouramis killed her angel fish so I would be extremely nervous about that. It is good to know that yours are getting along with the angels though. There is hope. I think I will just get one though. For one they are so big and two, I'm just scared of the aggression.

:fish: :fish: :fish: Why do you hesitate lovleeko to put bleeding hearts in with the angels. i find them good with angels. The gouramis work really well with angels. They do need a large tank though. They need room and they will grow quickly. Bleeding hearts I am not finding to be aggressive but i know others do. I have three bleeding hearts in with my angels and three in with the discus. They have not bothered my neons or harlequins. Angels do better in groups. Don't put three together.

lovleeko
12-18-2008, 01:52 AM
Thanks guys for the onions on angels. I think I will just get one. I don't want them to attack my other fish.

mac
12-18-2008, 01:58 AM
Hi,
I see not trouble with keeping just a single Angel. I have one by him self with Loaches and Rainbows with out any trouble. Acutely he has been a real laugh at time. It is amazing how fast he has become. And now he just dives into the food like the Kutubu Rainbows do. IME my Angel has grow very fast.

As for your Bleeding Hearts being aggressive, I doubt you will have trouble with them and a Angel. Just IMO I would get a reasonable size one though, just incase the Bleeding Hearts get aggressive. Just wondering how many Bleeding Hearts do you have?

mac

lovleeko
12-18-2008, 02:09 AM
I have six bleeding hearts. I have thought of increasing their numbers but I am always wondering if I'll have to get rid of them. I don't want to model my tank around them. I really love them but they have caused me a few problems.

Really? I was thinking of getting a small one. I sort of wanted to raise it.

Hi,
I see not trouble with keeping just a single Angel. I have one by him self with Loaches and Rainbows with out any trouble. Acutely he has been a real laugh at time. It is amazing how fast he has become. And now he just dives into the food like the Kutubu Rainbows do. IME my Angel has grow very fast.

As for your Bleeding Hearts being aggressive, I doubt you will have trouble with them and a Angel. Just IMO I would get a reasonable size one though, just incase the Bleeding Hearts get aggressive. Just wondering how many Bleeding Hearts do you have?

mac

mac
12-18-2008, 02:24 AM
I have six bleeding hearts. I have thought of increasing their numbers but I am always wondering if I'll have to get rid of them. I don't want to model my tank around them. I really love them but they have caused me a few problems.

Really? I was thinking of getting a small one. I sort of wanted to raise it.

Well when I first bought my Angel he nearly died. The Kutubus where far from pleased with it. And gave him a good chase at feeding time. If it was not for his size, 5 inches high, 3 inches long IMO he would have died. He use to just stand his ground and fight back. But all that stopped after a short time. And they are all great together. I think what ticked the Rainbows of was he wanted to set up his spot where they where. But that was sorted out.

As for the Bleedings IMO would get more. Just say 4 more. that way they have more to spread out their fighting, between them-selves.

mac

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Any idea what type of Angel you are going for lovleeko?
not that it matters of course, I just have a soft spot for Koi's, lol

lovleeko
12-18-2008, 03:14 AM
I am not really sure yet. I like the kois too. I guess I'm going to go to the LFS and see what kind they have. I was thinking of getting one from petsmart. Even though I dont like to get fish that much from there, they give you a full refund and if something happens that would be nice.

Any idea what type of Angel you are going for lovleeko?
not that it matters of course, I just have a soft spot for Koi's, lol

Brookfish
12-18-2008, 03:25 AM
Pity you didn't reside a bit closer, I would send you a nice Koi
but shop around and find one you really like, i'm betting it will
be a stunner!

lovleeko
12-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Yeah I think we are a bit more than a hop skip and a jump huh :) The kois are nice. I have been looking at a lot of different types online. The LFS does have quite a bit of them to choose from. They have some that are already pretty big too but their really pricey. PLus I usually try to get smaller fish, for one I like to see them grow up and develop, two I want to have them for longer and since smaller normally means younger, its the best way to do that. Thanks mike. I will post pictures as soon as I get him/her. I am so excited.

Thanks for all the help all.

Pity you didn't reside a bit closer, I would send you a nice Koi
but shop around and find one you really like, i'm betting it will
be a stunner!

LORENZO
12-18-2008, 10:43 AM
No one near here or lovleeko could have my huge koi male. Very colourful the koi are. But I love the black. You just need a big tank so they can grow up with room and mate up and find their own territories. I wis I was near I would take those bleeding hearts off your hands. I just think they are beautiful fish. I have not found them to be overly aggressive ... I hope they don't get that way because I won't be able to scoop them out. Very pink these ones here i have oh yes nicely coloured up !!1:fish: :fish: I will have to work on a pic and post i t.

lovleeko
12-18-2008, 03:34 PM
lorenzo, I do love the bleeding hearts as well. I just have had them rip one of my fish to shreds and once they were done they hunted her down. They didn't just get into a fight, they sought her out. When they were younger they got along with everyone, even a betta once shared a tank with them. Then I put another colored betta in and that freaked them out so they attacked her and hunted her. IT is weird what sets them off. They are beautiful with the greatest colors. I am just not willing to sacrifice so many long finned fish I plan to keep to keep them. Though they were once my favorite.