PDA

View Full Version : plant that feeds goldfish floating on top????

LORENZO
12-16-2008, 10:28 PM
:help: Maybe someone knows of a plant that floats on top and can cover the whole entire surface. All i know is that goldfish love it. IT is a major pest in my tank. I always have to net it out. It thrives with fertilizer. Any way of eradicating this. Tiny little green specs it looks like and they just smother the top.

smaug
12-16-2008, 10:29 PM
:help: Maybe someone knows of a plant that floats on top and can cover the whole entire surface. All i know is that goldfish love it. IT is a major pest in my tank. I always have to net it out. It thrives with fertilizer. Any way of eradicating this. Tiny little green specs it looks like and they just smother the top.
Sounds a bit like duckweed,I had it and had no trouble getting rid of it by simply skimming it off daily with a net.

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 12:03 AM
hah i bet that is what it is .... yes. Daily that is just it... who has time to go at that daily. But it is soo invasive. I must have brought that duckweed in with another plant. ha should get some goldfish they would enjoy it.

smaug
12-17-2008, 12:18 AM
hah i bet that is what it is .... yes. Daily that is just it... who has time to go at that daily. But it is soo invasive. I must have brought that duckweed in with another plant. ha should get some goldfish they would enjoy it.
3 minutes or so a day is alot of time?Dude!,I spend 20 minute a day or more,if you want it gone for sure then skimming is the only way.

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 12:25 AM
what? you spend 20 minutes a day at it.... ohhh well i took off the lights and the glass tops and did rake it all up. But the fertilizer just makes it grow more. hahah i need a tank of goldfish next. Is it true they love this stuff. i better get at it again tomorrow. Makes the tank dark. The angels are not liking this it prevents them from getting their flakes. hahahahBut 20 minutes a day!

smaug
12-17-2008, 12:29 AM
what? you spend 20 minutes a day at it.... ohhh well i took off the lights and the glass tops and did rake it all up. But the fertilizer just makes it grow more. hahah i need a tank of goldfish next. Is it true they love this stuff. i better get at it again tomorrow. Makes the tank dark. The angels are not liking this it prevents them from getting their flakes. hahahahBut 20 minutes a day!
Yup,goldfish will eat the stuff but they will not erradicate it.20 minutes is slacking,ask fishalicious how much time she spends in her tank:hmm3grin2orange:

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 12:48 AM
:fish: :fish: Now we are talking daily here... you are talking about spending 20 minutes on weed clean up... I did clean the filter yesterday and did a water change... but nothing today.. nope. ARe you saying fishalicious spends more than 20 mintues each day on each tank???? I have a weinner dog to get through rally obedience...i have a bookcase to finish off and Christmas baking. hhah i have not had tome to rinse my gravel. but i did water change my discus this week! i did clean their filter and their diet is not suffering..oh yes bloodworms daily. 20 minutes on your duckweed daily...!!! help !

Mvjnz
12-17-2008, 03:17 AM
Mystery snails also love duckweed, so if you don't have room for goldfish, just get some snails:)

They prolly won't get rid of it completely, but they'll keep it under control.

korith
12-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Hate duckweed. Some of it came in with riccia and other plants I bought and I didn't know any better at the time. Took a while to get rid of it. Somehow you never really get rid of it all.

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 10:14 AM
:fish: Okay some mystery snails ... but I do not know if you can get them here. Would angels not eat them. I will go and take a look and see. Thanks.:fish:

Fishguy2727
12-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Goldfish generally do eradicate it (they LOVE it), as long as they can get to all of it (other flaoting plants or stem plants that make it to the surface can provide a refuge for some duckweed.

I would feed angels sinking pellets anyways.

smaug
12-17-2008, 11:26 PM
My angel doesnt touch vegatative matter. I suppose goldfish could erradicate it if they were fed nothing else for awhile.What would you do with the goldys after they did there job for you?Sounds easier to me to just spend some time skimming it out,thats all I did.

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 11:37 PM
:fish: :fish: :fish: oh don't worry I do not want a cold water fish. Nope i hear those goldfish are filthy little things. But well i did get it out today let us see how quickly it comes back. I don't mind it but when it starts to cover the surface then i have to worry. Not a pretty sight. How are your fish smaug?

smaug
12-17-2008, 11:41 PM
:fish: :fish: :fish: oh don't worry I do not want a cold water fish. Nope i hear those goldfish are filthy little things. But well i did get it out today let us see how quickly it comes back. I don't mind it but when it starts to cover the surface then i have to worry. Not a pretty sight. How are your fish smaug?
my fish are doin tip top ,Im glad the ick has past.Thanks for asking .

LORENZO
12-18-2008, 12:08 AM
hmm i was just reading there is more phosphate in pellet foods than frozen foods. What is a dry pellet food that is not high in phoshate.... my tank is doing well on omega pellets the hair algae has gone now. But i hear omega is full of fat not a very good food. Right now the discus are geting used to NLS. You do have smaug a nice marble angel. i have three of them. I need another tank for more types of angels though. I would like some white angels Long veil tails like the smokey black. Do you have a dedicated angel tank?????

Mvjnz
12-18-2008, 12:28 AM
I actually don't mind my duckweed. It provides shade which the fish like, and also cover for potential fry. Makes the goldfish grow fast, and makes me not have to feed the snails every day.

I also have an Australian floating plant called azolla, which the snails also love.

Fishguy2727
12-18-2008, 01:54 AM
Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans) is amazing for livebearer fry. I put some in all the livebearer tanks at work and now there are fry in all the tanks. Otherwise they are bare and all the fry were always eaten. It floats, so even in low light tanks it is fine, and it is up where the fry want to be.