PDA

View Full Version : What is this?? Pic

chronic
12-16-2008, 02:29 AM
I just did a water change on my 55g.

Normally I do a 30% water change once or twice a week. But my nitrates spiked for some reason. (I have a hunch its because my filter got jammed with a piece of sand for a day, surprised the motor still works)

But anyway, did a 50% change tonight. And I noticed my pleco was covered in bubbles which looked cool... but, are the bubbles on his slime coat?? I noticed there was this invisible layer that the bubbles were stuck too, and it looks like he's almost sheding.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/1chronicpls/Picture478.jpg

All the bubbles are gone now, and his skin looks fine. Is that jsut his slime coat?? I've never noticed this before. I used to do water changes with buckets, but finnaly got a python. I noticed immediately that it introduces a ton of bubbles into the water for a short period after using it. I've just never noticed this on any of my fish before.

Algenco
12-16-2008, 03:18 AM
it's from the wc, tap water is super saturated with O2 in the winter.
I get tiny bubbles on everything after a wc

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-16-2008, 03:21 AM
Yup, I've had that happen before. The first time I saw the bubbles on my fish I nearly freaked thinking it was Ich!! I was greatly relieved when I saw the bubbles come loose and rise to the surface. :)

teach
12-16-2008, 04:27 AM
Thats crazy i wonder if thats why my water looks cloudy.

Northernguy
12-16-2008, 04:46 AM
Thats crazy i wonder if thats why my water looks cloudy.
That sounds more like a bacteria bloom.
How much did you vacuum last w/c?

chronic
12-16-2008, 05:06 AM
Yeah, but I was wondering.. like, the bubbles were on something around his body. In that pic, you can kind of see that some spots are lifting. It looked like he was sheding.

So that why I was curious, is that his slime coat I saw the bubbles stuck too?Its kind of hard describing it.

Northernguy
12-16-2008, 06:08 AM
Yes,it sounds like it!:22:

chronic
12-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Alright, I've just never seen that before. Wasn't sure if "slimecoat" was that literal. But I guess so lol

cocoa_pleco
12-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Alright, I've just never seen that before. Wasn't sure if "slimecoat" was that literal. But I guess so lol

yep, bubbles. i sometimes get them in my water here too