PDA

View Full Version : water circulation for discus fish?????

LORENZO
12-15-2008, 11:29 PM
How do you know if the fish are getting too much water flow??? And what is enough? You can't have the tank with now water agitation the plants would cringe. But the fish like the quiet end of the tank. I think the rena xp 4 is too strong for them.:goldfish:

Fishguy2727
12-16-2008, 12:35 AM
If the water is clean and there is no debris collecting on the substrate then there is enough current.

If they seemed stress you may want to reduce the flow. You can do this by pointing the outlet from the Rena at the glass, decor (like a big piece of driftwood), etc.

LORENZO
12-16-2008, 09:45 PM
:fish: no they are not too stressed out but i do notice they like the water still. They will go to the corner where it is calmer. I do have the rena flow near the glass and for the swords i would not want water to be too slow. At first i thought i did not have enough and then i went out and bought these under water power heads. hahha ohhh way too much then. The angels in the other tank don't seem to mind. The gouramis hide in the plant that floats on top. The spray bar i was told would not be enough. Just wondering ...

Fishguy2727
12-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Spray bars make a huge difference.

Yes, discus like calmer waters, calmer than some people think (like those stuck on the 10x turnover guide).

The plants don't need that much flow. They are from the same area as the discus, most plants are fine in water calm enough for discus.

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Okay. I should try the rena spray bar and see what a difference it would make. It is just he fish person i bought the set up from at his store said that would not provide enough circulation. hmmm that is an idea. So that would put the water flow across the width of the tank. NOt just hitting the other end of the tank. Thanks.