PDA

View Full Version : Hermit murder!!

labnjab
12-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Over the past week I've noticed 2 dead, shell less hermits. I have several empty shells (close to 2 dozen) and only 13, well now 11 blue legged hermits. Is there any reason they would be killing each other, or is it just in their nature? I tend to over feed just slightly so I can provide extra food for them and there is a lot of hair algae in one corner of their tank. I'm sure they were dead and not just molted.

Halelorf
12-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Part of their nature. One of my scarlet hermits was just killed recently. I think there is an equilibrium of hermits for each tank. If you load a tank up with hermits they will begin to kill each other off until there is a reasonable number left. It's not always about food, i've had hermits that were fed great. Target fed each one every day and they still would kill a random one. Sometimes they just like anothers shell or just because. Don't worry about it too much, sucks that they do it though.

The Wedge
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Covetousness......

labnjab
12-15-2008, 05:51 PM
At least their only $2 each. I was considering adding more but now I won't. I'll add a few more snails instead. Thank you

oldhead
12-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah someone should really try and stop the hermit on hermit crime,lol. But yeah I've witnessed mine beat each other down seemingly only cause they happened to cross paths at that particular time. Other than that my Pistol shrimp is their only threat.

The Wedge
12-15-2008, 05:58 PM
The blues can move on to murdering snails too...after they get the taste of blood...they are vikings

deep_blu
12-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Wow! I never heard of hermit murder! haven't experienced anything like that yet. i stay on the east coast of south africa so i'm lucky i can just go to the beach & get more, or when they get too many, i can just take them back! hope i don't hav to deal with hermit murder tho! ;)

kaybee
12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
The blue legs are particularly cannabilistic, especially when they get larger.

labnjab
12-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Are they any less violent crabs, and are good hair alge eaters that would work in a 29 gallon? Like red legs or scarlets

Halelorf
12-19-2008, 10:11 PM
I have scarlets in my 30gallon reef tank. I find for the most part they are ok but every once in awhile they either kill another or one died and they feed on it. I generally think that they attack and kill each other. Majority of the time they are model tank citizens. I have somewhere between 2 and 5 scarlets in my tank right now. I use to have something like 10 in my 15 gallon tank but they went on a rampage and killed each other down to 5. I find snails to be much better for algae control and they don't kill each other.

labnjab
12-19-2008, 10:13 PM
What snails are good on hair. I already have 6 astrea and 1 Mexican turbo, but they seem to stay away from it

Halelorf
12-19-2008, 10:33 PM
I have cerith, astrea, and chestnut turbos in my tank. The turbos and astrea do the most damage to hair algae and the cerith will eat it too but they are much slower than the others.

kaybee
12-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Are they any less violent crabs, and are good hair alge eaters that would work in a 29 gallon? Like red legs or scarlets

Perhaps a non-hermit type, such as a single emerald crab:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/y2kenny19/Saltwater/em.jpg

deep_blu
12-20-2008, 08:32 PM
does anyone know how hermit crabs breed? last few days i've had a couple hermits doing some 'close investigations' of each other. i dunno if they're fighting or trying to do the nasty! hope they're not becoming murderers!!!!

snapdragon9
12-21-2008, 01:26 AM
yeah, my pistol is a beast as well...I now find hermits in margarita snails...looks like the pistol is impartial to snails first!! Maybe having extra shells laying around would work, (i've heard that but not sure if it means anything though...it didn't for me...)

deep_blu
12-21-2008, 05:00 PM
i do have some extra shells in the tank, but i've also noticed that the new hermits i caught are quite a lot bigger than the older ones. the smaller ones tend to stay out the bigger one's way. maybe it's a dominance thing!

labnjab
12-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Perhaps a non-hermit type, such as a single emerald crab:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/y2kenny19/Saltwater/em.jpg

I'll have to see if I can find one of them. Thank you for the suggestion

deep_blu
12-26-2008, 08:08 AM
O my I have a rogue crab!!!!!! i've found 2 dead crabs in my tank in the last few days & i've found the culprit. the other day i caught 1 of the crabs ontop on another shell opening to shell opening. but then i noticed that the bugger had already chased the existing tennant out of the shell & the ousted crab was hanging onto the outside of his previous home!! needless to say i pulled the rogue off & gave the shell back to the previous owner & sumped the little blighter responsible. i've noticed before that this particular crab has seemed to take very close interest in the other crabs so i'm sure he's been responsible for the previous murders. well, he'll kill no more!!

bocrayfish
10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
craby justice is served