PDA

View Full Version : Film on bulbs?

Corndawg
12-15-2008, 05:35 PM
I wasent planning on having any live plants in my 5gal, but was givin some "Hybrid Aponogeton" bulbs. I recently made a different light setup for the tank (used to be a 7watt incandescent, now 2x 4watt T5) so thought I would try these bulbs. I got 2 of them about half burried under gravel and have been there maybe 4 days. Dont seem to be doing all to much, but one of them has a white cloudy film growing on it. Is this a good/bad thing?

Sharon
12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I bought a pkg of those a while ago...When I opened the pkg several of them were moldy. Could the white on your be mold?

Corndawg
12-15-2008, 05:53 PM
They werent white when I put them into the tank, I guess overnight last night, just started to grow that stuff on it. Its not like spots of mold, its more of a thin cloudy layer, can kinda see it blowing around in the current

Sharon
12-15-2008, 06:48 PM
That sounds like mold growth...

Corndawg
12-15-2008, 06:50 PM
So does this mean the bulb is bad? Or should I just pull out and rinse and just put back?

Sharon
12-15-2008, 06:56 PM
I can't be certain without seeing it. You could try rinsing it and letting it float in the tank, until it sprouts.

Corndawg
12-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Got a couple more bulbs, this time the lily type. Same thing seems to be happening. After 2 days, the bulbs start to get the water mold (?) on them. Does anyone have any experience with these wal-mart bulbs doing this and still growing? Should they be rinsed every couple of days? I dunno what to do with em :x