PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp proofing filter?

Tolley
12-15-2008, 04:21 PM
How do I go about making my filter intake safe for the baby cherry shrimp? The filter is a Fluval 2+ here is link so you can see what it looks like - http://www.aquaticbiotope.co.uk/ProdImages/Hagen%20Fluval%20Plus%20Internal%20Filter.jpg What do I cover it with and what can i attach it with?

Thanks.

angelcakes
12-15-2008, 04:30 PM
tolley i know it sounds girlie but how about tights,its small meshing that will cover the side holes/slits, or try something similar with meshing that all the shrimp poop can get through

Tolley
12-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Haha 'Mum I need some tights' LOL I will try get hold of some. What would you tie it on with?

angelcakes
12-15-2008, 04:38 PM
as there tights you should be able to just tie them or if youve got any fishing line:19:

Tolley
12-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Ah ok I have fishing line thank Angel! :19:

terrapin24h
12-16-2008, 02:57 PM
i'd get a hunk of filter sponge and put it over the intake. Then it would act as a pre filter, and gunk will get caught in it and the shrimps forage on it. I hear that shrimps love to dine on gooky filter sponges

--chris

Algenco
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
I've used both, the shrimp love to feed on the sponge

korith
12-17-2008, 10:35 AM
A large piece of sponge as suggested would work great. Plus it makes a good source of food for the shrimp to scavenge off of. At any given time there is a handful of them on the sponge. Whenever you do a water change, just take the sponge off and give it a few squeezes in a bucket with tank water, then put it back on.

Oh another looking at the pic of your filter, go with tights like they said. Unless you can find a nice block of sponge that will fit. Cut the hole smaller in it, so it fits snugly over the filter.

gm72
12-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Just another opinion in favor of the sponge prefilter.

terrapin24h
12-17-2008, 05:31 PM
in the case of your filter, you could also get some filter floss and wrap it around the whole filter, and affix using zip-ties, fishing line, or a rubber band or two. It would accomplish the same thing as a sponge would and might be easier to deal with being as that you have an internal filter.

--chris

korith
12-17-2008, 06:02 PM
in the case of your filter, you could also get some filter floss and wrap it around the whole filter, and affix using zip-ties, fishing line, or a rubber band or two. It would accomplish the same thing as a sponge would and might be easier to deal with being as that you have an internal filter.

--chris

Great idea! That actually gives me an idea too, I think I saw something at the dollar store that might work. It was a spongy beer can holder to keep the can cold. Think that might work, depending on what the material is made out of.

Algenco
12-17-2008, 08:19 PM
another shrimp treat, place anything that has been in another tank in with the shrimp and watch them attack!! They love the bio-film that formsthumbs2:

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 10:01 PM
seeing you are talking about schrimp are ghost schrimp really delicate? Can they go safely into a discus tank? They are only about an inch and would you group them to keep them from getting stressed?:fish: :fish:

Algenco
12-17-2008, 10:07 PM
seeing you are talking about schrimp are ghost schrimp really delicate? Can they go safely into a discus tank? They are only about an inch and would you group them to keep them from getting stressed?:fish: :fish:

The discus would greatly appreciate the snack:hmm3grin2orange:

korith
12-17-2008, 10:17 PM

If you expect them to survive, or well have a survival rate in a discus tank, you would need to have a lot of hiding spots for the shrimp. Large patches of moss and such.

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 11:58 PM
So this is not going to be a good idea for a scavenger fore the discus tank... oh well... they don't like plecos either.... ottos...as much as i dread the idea...ottos will have to do.:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
I aslo agree with the sponge! just hold it in place with an elastic band.Its easier than retiing it whenever you clean it!