PDA

View Full Version : Letting vent to pent up rage.

mac
12-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi guys.

Just heard back from the main importer for the South Island of New Zealand, and they say they are only able to get a few of these Rainbows.

• Glossolepis incisus -Red Rainbowfish
• Melanotaenia affinis -New Guinea Rainbow
• Melanotaenia boesmani -Boesmans Rainbow
• Glossolepis wanamensis -Emerald rainbow
• Melanotaenia goldiei -Goldie River Rainbow
• Melanotaenia lacustris -Turquoise Rainbow
• Melanotaenia splendida rubrostriata -Red-Striped Rainbow

It is really gutting. I wished i could have some words with the who are in charge of importing fish.:18: :spam: :18:

Well I can only get the Red Rainbow-fish Turquoise Rainbow Boesmans Rainbow And lastly Thread Fin Rainbows, and Dwarf Rainbows, and other species of the small Rainbows. Just not many of the Papua New Guinea ones.

Well now I am going to have to sort out a new list of fish for my 100 gallon tank. I was wanting the Kutubus and these Glossolepis wanamensis. But I cant get the Glossolepis wanamensis. Gutting.

So I think I am stuck with the Boesmans Rainbow Red Rainbowfish to choose from along with the Kutubus. Ohh before I forget apparently i can get the Spledid Rainbows!!! I wouldn't mind these fish.

Well just thought I would let every-one know the terrible news.

mac

Wild Turkey
12-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Sorry about the spot of bad luck there mac, you'll figure something out im sure that will be just as good or better ;):19:

LORENZO
12-15-2008, 11:21 AM
:fish: Watch those splendida ones I bought three the other week oh they were fast swimmers... swam after everything. manic swimmers. now maybe I managed to buy just those hyper fish. I know they are supposed to be peaceful but the splendida are not going to swim like gouramis. Try some discus they will fill up your tank. But I know rainbows are beautiful fish.

gm72
12-15-2008, 11:31 AM
That's too bad when you can't get the fish you want to keep. I understand whole-heartedly. I can't find squat around here.

I'm sure your Plan B will be just as outstanding though.

mac
12-16-2008, 02:04 AM
That's too bad when you can't get the fish you want to keep. I understand whole-heartedly. I can't find squat around here.

I'm sure your Plan B will be just as outstanding though.

Thanks mate. I hope to get my second plan to work out just as good as the first.

Sorry about the spot of bad luck there mac, you'll figure something out im sure that will be just as good or better ;):19:

Thanks WT. I shall try and work things out. The main thing is I will have to be even more careful with my fish choosing.

:fish: Watch those splendida ones I bought three the other week oh they were fast swimmers... swam after everything. manic swimmers. now maybe I managed to buy just those hyper fish. I know they are supposed to be peaceful but the splendida are not going to swim like gouramis. Try some discus they will fill up your tank. But I know rainbows are beautiful fish.

Thanks mate. Yes these fish can be quite the speedy type. But IMO I think I should have no trouble at all. That is if I do get them. More than likely I wont.

What I am thinking of is the Kutubus as the main school, and some other school of Rainbows. It is just what type. I still like the Iran Reds. I also like the Boies. So HMMM. I guess the only way to solve this problem is to just do a lot of researching, on the ups and downs with these fish.

mac

Brookfish
12-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Sorry you could't get the stock you wanted Mac but i'm sure
your alternative choices will be just as good.

Lady Hobbs
12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
They have started banning the import of many rainbows due to the over-harvesting of them.

I had to separate my Splendida from my turquoise and boesemani. They get larger, are far more active and were taking over the tank. However, your tank is larger than mine which makes a big difference. For some reason, they settled right down under subdued lighting and were placed alone. Go figure.

Lady Hobbs
12-16-2008, 02:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDsQT7hr9V4&feature=related

Holy Smoley, I thought my tank was crowded!

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 12:07 AM
:2: :2: oh that was a fun utube video. Now what an idea for a 75 once the discus breed. yes..all those rainbows. They look good with rummy noses. The fishstore here has a big tank with rummynoses and rainbows.I suppose they would do well in 6.5 ph.

mac
12-17-2008, 01:26 AM
:2: :2: oh that was a fun utube video. Now what an idea for a 75 once the discus breed. yes..all those rainbows. They look good with rummy noses. The fishstore here has a big tank with rummynoses and rainbows.I suppose they would do well in 6.5 ph.

The only trouble IMO with that video was that the tank was way over stocked with the Rainbows. So IMO I would limit the amount you would keep in the tank. Other wise Rummy Nose and the Rainbows would look great.

mac

Lady Hobbs
12-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Yes they would. I would like to try to separate mine into rainbow species tanks but that would require more tanks=more money so prolly will not.

mac
12-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi,

Yes a Rainbow fish species tank would be nice. The only trouble is the money. But when there is a will there is a way.

Acutely I have just come up with a plan for my 100 gallon.

10 Kutubus.
5 Iran Reds.
7 SAE's.
7 Golden Zebra Loaches.
Possibly 1 Red Tail Shark. All depends on the nature of the young one I have. If he is good mannered when he is larger I will keep him, if not I will place him in the 50 gallon along with Tiger Barbs.
And Kulies.

mac

Northernguy
12-17-2008, 02:43 PM
I was looking at some rainbows yesterday.They are wonderful looking fish but they are 30 bucks each up here.The same price as a 1 1/2" Discus!

mac
12-17-2008, 08:36 PM
I was looking at some rainbows yesterday.They are wonderful looking fish but they are 30 bucks each up here.The same price as a 1 1/2" Discus!

Man that is dear. Even more than I have to pay. The dearest I will go is $20.00. Unless I get them from a small town pet-shop. but their is little chance of them having them.

Cheers,
mac

cer
12-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Try online?

mac
12-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Try online?

That is the trouble. I can only order fish on-line that are aloud in the country. And NZ dose not want to get fish that are wild caught, or not heavily bread.

I am doing more research about ordering on-line. So you never know. But i am not sure.

mac

cer
12-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Do you have a license?

mac
12-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Do you have a license?

I don't get what you mean? I have a license to drive. But that is all.

mac

cer
12-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Oh sorry. I did not know you do not have them down there. You can get them to get native fish. Eh, maybe they just have them in North America.

mac
12-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Oh sorry. I did not know you do not have them down there. You can get them to get native fish. Eh, maybe they just have them in North America.

Ahh I see. Not as far as I know. If I want native fish I go and catch them from a lake or river. But it has to be native as far as I know.

Thanks for the reply.

mac

cer
12-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Your welcome.

carsonfishgirl
01-10-2009, 02:34 AM
Hi All, I am new to the site but wanted to contribute. Mac wrote around a month ago about the fish that are becoming difficult to impossible to find. One was Glossolepis wanamensis -Emerald rainbow. Before moving to No. Nevada US, I lived near Las Vegas where there were a couple good fish stores. At that time I added a pair of Emerald Rainbows to my collection. They have become active breeders and I have probably two dozen in my nursery tank. At birth they were the size of eye lashes. Now at 6 months they are still little, but thriving and growing in their own time. It is a thrill to be blessed with a breeding pair, with their numbers nearly extinct. I wish I could get these placed in experienced hands when they grow up, but dont' know how to move them safely.

I will be putting up some photos over the weekend of the male in his splendid breeding colors. Is anyone else having successful breeding of rainbows? I would love to hear your system. Mine favor laying eggs on hornwort. The fry are fed a special powder fry food by Mike Reed; it can be purchased online. The powder circulates through the tank for several hours so the fry always have something available.

I welcome hearing from anyone who is keeping & raising Rainbows, and has suggestions for improved ways of doing anything.

Thx, Carsonfishgirl:goldfish:

mac
01-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Thank your for your great news. I am not jealous. But pleased. I hope they survive nicely and you can find good homes for them. For me if I were in your position i would set up as many tanks as you can start breeding on large scale. For me I would set up 20 ++++ to as many tanks needed in attempt to get these fish back on the market.

I would love to see some pics.

I have Kutubus who are breeding well. Just my Loaches eat the you very fast. I am getting a 80 gallon long tank made soon so I can breed them my self properly.

Ohh by the way welcome to the forum.

mac

Northernguy
01-10-2009, 04:04 PM
carsonfishgirl it sounds like you are doing quite well.:22:
I would also love to see some pics. thumbs2: