PDA

View Full Version : My elderly, constipated betta...

Courtni522
01-26-2007, 06:10 PM
My boyfriend's mother recently moved and was unable to take two of her betta fish with her, so we took them. They are both pretty old as far as bettas go, but we've been trying to keep them healthy. One of them has recently started floating on his side near the top, although if he gets startled he gets a spurt of energy and darts around for a few seconds before giving up and floating back to the top on his side. I researched and found some tips in case it was a swim bladder problem or bloating/constipation problem, such as letting the water be a little warmer and feeding him bits of smooshed pea. The pea feeding gives him relief for a day at the most, and he seems normal, but eventually he ends up floating near the top again. The water is clean, and we try to make sure he undergoes little to no stress. Is it possible that he is more prone to constipation problems because he is so old? Would it be feasible to switch to a diet entirely of peas? Is that healthy? Previously we had been feeding him beta flakes or freeze dried blood worms. HELP! I really don't want him to die...

cocoa_pleco
01-27-2007, 01:06 AM
I think its bloat. Dont feed him for a week and then see how he is.
(they can go for a month or more without food)
Does he/she seem fat and/or scales protruding?????????

Incredulous_Ed
01-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Do you keep him in a bowl or aquarium?

cocoa_pleco
01-27-2007, 01:18 AM
yeah. Filtration and tank size affect alot

Incredulous_Ed
01-27-2007, 04:53 AM
Another good question is his is tank heated?

cocoa_pleco
01-27-2007, 09:54 PM
yes. tanks with no heat can affect the fish. Even though you do not need a heater for a betta, its good for them, and will help him get better. you want a temp at about 77f

Incredulous_Ed
01-28-2007, 12:38 AM
Actually it is best to have it around 80, and if you have add a heater, make the change gradually

DemonShark
01-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Yes I agree with ED 80 is better keeps most dieseases at bay

Courtni522
01-28-2007, 07:34 PM
To answer all your questions quickly as best as i can, i have 3 bettas, all separated into their own tanks. they are not huge tanks but they are about 1.5 gallons, which i was told was actually more than adequate judging off of how bettas prefer to live in the wild. i do not have a direct tank heater, but i have a low heat lamp positioned several feet above their tanks, which keeps their tanks about 79 degrees (i have digital thermometers). my other two bettas are really really healthy, and i just figure i'll have to work harder to keep the oldest one healthy. he's been much better the past few days, he's not bloated or swimming erradically anymore. i guess the pea trick did work, it just took him a day or two to...uh, get the blockage out. gross. thanks for your help though!

cocoa_pleco
01-28-2007, 09:43 PM
no prob:4::4::4::4: