PDA

View Full Version : Christmas betta

Corndawg
12-14-2008, 04:02 AM
Well, well at the LPS today, decided to pick my mom up a betta for xmas! It is almost a pink color. Ill post pics tonight.

lovleeko
12-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Cool. Does she already have housing for it or is it that part of the gift? I love the pinkish washes in bettas.

Corndawg
12-14-2008, 05:37 AM
Well, for the time being its gonna be in a 1.5gal tank I have lying around. I plan on giving her my 5gal hex when I put my betta in a 10gal. Got a small heater and everything for it, so should be ok. It seems to be liking the new tank as opposed to the cup :sbiggrin: Ill take pics once I get a chance.

lovleeko
12-14-2008, 06:01 AM
That's nice. I'm sure she'll fall in love like the rest of us betta fanatics:19: LOL

Well, for the time being its gonna be in a 1.5gal tank I have lying around. I plan on giving her my 5gal hex when I put my betta in a 10gal. Got a small heater and everything for it, so should be ok. It seems to be liking the new tank as opposed to the cup :sbiggrin: Ill take pics once I get a chance.

Corndawg
12-14-2008, 07:00 AM
sorry for the camera phone fuzzy pics, but heres what I got
http://i33.tinypic.com/294kxs4.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2a7y6g9.jpg

angelcakes
12-14-2008, 08:55 AM
pretty betta:19: :19:

Sharon
12-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Mom is going to be happy!:19:

Corndawg
12-15-2008, 02:46 AM
I hate to say it but I think somethin wrong with the betta. Once in its tank last night, did not move any around the tank. I thought ok, give it time to get used to it. So went to bed. Didnt check it before work, but when I got home, the fish is still not moving anywhere, unless I poke at it, makes a quick dart, then back to not moving. Usally is at top of tank at a 45degree angle with mouth out of water. The tank had cycled water, plus cycled media in filter before fish was even added. Nothing noticeable as far as any sickness on him. Any ideas?....

AABatteries
12-15-2008, 02:47 AM
Lack of oxygen in the water?

Corndawg
12-15-2008, 02:55 AM
It has a airstone running, so I cant see that being it. I dont even run a stone in my 5gal betta tank, and hes completly fine.

AABatteries
12-15-2008, 02:58 AM
Are you able to test the parameters?

Corndawg
12-15-2008, 03:04 AM
AM : 0ppm
NI : 0ppm
NA : ~5ppm
78*F

I made the tank with cycled media from my 10gal.

AABatteries
12-15-2008, 03:15 AM
Hmmm... idk. I'm clueless, hopefully somebody else can help you.

Gemini
12-15-2008, 03:22 AM
Too cold? I don't know either sorry.

Corndawg
12-15-2008, 03:24 AM
78-80F is fine for a betta

lovleeko
12-15-2008, 03:27 AM
He should be checking things out by now. Get betta max. It should perk him right up. Betta max is mild and great for when bettas are just down in the dumps and you really dont know why. You'll probably see him perk right up in a day or so after adding it. A must have. Is he eating? What are you feeding him?

Gemini
12-15-2008, 03:32 AM
78-80F is fine for a betta
Sorry I missed where you posted the temp under the parameters. It was my only thought sorry.

Corndawg
12-15-2008, 03:53 AM
Ok, I will have to try to get some BettaMax. He hasent eaten, tried flakes/pellets, and even some baby shrimp. didnt touch any of it.

lovleeko
12-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Yeah, get some betta max for sure. Some bettas are extremely picky about what they eat but being a pet store betta he should take betta pellets. They usually dont like tropical flakes but will usually take betta flakes. Sounds like your guy is just down and out. Betta max should do the trick. Keep us updated on the little guy. I've read that some people add betta max anytime they get a new betta especially from the pet stores as we all know how they are poorly conditioned there.

Ok, I will have to try to get some BettaMax. He hasent eaten, tried flakes/pellets, and even some baby shrimp. didnt touch any of it.

mac
12-15-2008, 07:03 AM
Hi,
IMO I find that some Bettas are very shy because they don't have any top cover. IMO I would use Ricci. For some reason it seems to give them some confidence.

Other wise everything looks fine. You water is good, and the temp is fine. I would try using some of these Betta foods. They work great at getting them to eat.

mac

Corndawg
12-15-2008, 08:37 PM
From what ive read BettaMax is a discontinued item, I will have to call around and see if I can find some. Is there anything else that gets the same results?

Sharon
12-15-2008, 08:46 PM
They tend to find frozen Bloodworms an irresistable treat. Although Bloodworms are not suitable for an everyday diet, it may get him started. Good luck with him...

lovleeko
12-15-2008, 11:26 PM
REally? That sucks!! I still a small bit left and it doesn't expire for a while. It has been a good long while since I have had to buy any. Good thing I guess. LOL

Yes there is a similar product sold by faith on betta talk. But I think you can only order it from her. She actually sells it as a sub for betta max. It's called betta zing. I'm not sure where you are at. She only ships meds to the U.S I think. It has been a while since I've bought anything from her. It also is like fifteen dollars a bottle. But would come in handy at a later date if you have more bettas. I know it would be better if you could find something in the store versus having to wait on it to ship. I really dont know of anything else. Not right off the top of my head. I guess I'm gonna have to order some betta zing for after my betta max runs out. I'm about to use it on a new betta I got also. So it will be all gone :(

Is he still showing no other symptoms? That would be helpful. If we could figure out what is going on with him. It is normal for them not to eat for the first day or so. But he should be getting an appetite soon. Are his fins clamped?

From what ive read BettaMax is a discontinued item, I will have to call around and see if I can find some. Is there anything else that gets the same results?

Corndawg
12-16-2008, 03:55 AM
Fins dont seem to be "clamped". Still not moving much at all. Hasent eaten or even acted like he was going to. Dosent respond to a me, a mirror, or being next to my other male betta. Didnt have a chance today to pick up anything today. Did add a little salt when I did w/c today. Dont know if it will help, but worth a try. Ill give update 2morrow

lovleeko
12-16-2008, 04:03 AM
Definitely sounds like he is sick. Hope he feels better soon. If it was just him being a bit down I would think a mirror or a neighbor would perk him right up. Hope you figure it out soon. Keep us updated.

Fins dont seem to be "clamped". Still not moving much at all. Hasent eaten or even acted like he was going to. Dosent respond to a me, a mirror, or being next to my other male betta. Didnt have a chance today to pick up anything today. Did add a little salt when I did w/c today. Dont know if it will help, but worth a try. Ill give update 2morrow

Corndawg
12-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Did a 30% w/c today, and put back some salt. Fish seems to be moving about a little more than it was. Still wont eat, or flare at anything. Just kinda went up to the mirror and stared at it! I dunno. Hopefully him moving around more is a good sign hes gettin better, although still spends a lot of time on the bottom, or hanging out on top of the heater.

About what he does...
http://i38.tinypic.com/24m94l5.jpg

lovleeko
12-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Poor guy. maybe he'll get better soon. I did read that aquatronics did go out of biz. That stinks. Betta max is awesome. Oh well, moving on I guess. I'm gonna get some betta zing now. Next best thing. Anyway, hopefully he perks up before Christmas.

Did a 30% w/c today, and put back some salt. Fish seems to be moving about a little more than it was. Still wont eat, or flare at anything. Just kinda went up to the mirror and stared at it! I dunno. Hopefully him moving around more is a good sign hes gettin better, although still spends a lot of time on the bottom, or hanging out on top of the heater.

About what he does...
http://i38.tinypic.com/24m94l5.jpg

Corndawg
12-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Well, lookin a little bit better for the guy. Starting to move about quite a bit more and actually saw him eat a pellet, took awile, but eventually ate it. Going to get him a bigger tank, 3-5gal, after the new year, so hopefully that will help too. But we will see if he keeps gettin better!
http://i41.tinypic.com/v3zsbt.jpg

Sharon
12-18-2008, 11:36 AM
That's great...hope your Mom likes him!:sock:

lovleeko
12-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Awesome. Maybe he is just taking a bit of time to adjust. Keep him near your other betta too if you can. My bettas sulk when I move them away from one another. They wont eat when their sulking.I move them back with the other bettas and food looks tasty again. LOL

Corndawg
12-19-2008, 02:14 AM
Problem being, my betta is on my computer desk in my room. And if I put that one next to it my mom would see it. So its in my closet for the time being. When I open the closet door, the thing goes nuts, he wants to be out! Cant been seen till Thursday tho :(

lovleeko
12-19-2008, 03:09 AM
LOL. Oh, well he might perk up a bit when you can give him a neighbor. Christmas is creeping up. I have to go shopping. :)

Problem being, my betta is on my computer desk in my room. And if I put that one next to it my mom would see it. So its in my closet for the time being. When I open the closet door, the thing goes nuts, he wants to be out! Cant been seen till Thursday tho :(

Corndawg
12-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Well, the betta has been doing excellent last couple of days. Very active, eats well, responds to itself in a mirror. Was able to get a 2.5gal for it, so my mom wont have to worry about getting a new tank. Im just glad it got better right before I have to give it away!
http://i42.tinypic.com/k0kqaf.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/15ppqpc.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/15psgnb.jpg

wolf_eyes
12-22-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm glad to hear everything worked out! He is a beautiful fish, I'm sure your mom will love him

lovleeko
12-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Almost out of the closet for the christmas betta!! LOL Glad to hear he is doing better. Maybe it was all the ammonia he was in in that cup and it took him a while to re coop. I just bought a female betta in preparation for my female tank and she has fin rot :( Didn't notice it till I got her out of her little cup. It is progressing pretty fast so hopefully I come by some luck as well.