PDA

View Full Version : Starting to go Brackish. Need Pointers

JaredCBell
12-14-2008, 03:44 AM
My 29g consists of 2 figure 8 puffers, and 1 green spotted. They are all about 1 1/2 to 2 inches big. All have been in freshwater only. I was wondering, When should I start changing to brackish?

How much at a time?
Which salt would you recommend? (brand)
Which Hydrometer would you recommend? (brand and type)

Also, is there anything else I should know about brackish that most people miss when first starting out? I am continually reading but I want user input. "iss thee beesst!"

kaybee
12-14-2008, 06:20 AM
In time you'll probably have to separate the two species as the green spotted puffer (GSP) will require it's own 29gal as it matures. The GSP will become twice as large as the Figure 8 and may develop a low tolerance for its present tankmates. It will probably make short work of the crab you have in the tank as well.

You could start increasing salinity now at no more than 0.002 per week to allow a gradual change over of your beneficial bacteria colony. A happy medium with the two types of puffers you have is probably 1.010 SG, and a refractometer is preferred over a hydrometer. So at the rate of + 0.002 per week, it will take 5 weeks.

The GSP will eventually require higher levels of salinity to thrive (1.015 to full SW conditions), the Figure 8's are fine at 1.005-1.010SG. In my opinion, any reputable marine salt mix will do with these fish.

JaredCBell
12-14-2008, 06:33 AM
In time you'll probably have to separate the two species as the green spotted puffer (GSP) will require it's own 29gal as it matures. The GSP will become twice as large as the Figure 8 and may develop a low tolerance for its present tankmates. It will probably make short work of the crab you have in the tank as well.

You could start increasing salinity now at no more than 0.002 per week to allow a gradual change over of your beneficial bacteria colony. A happy medium with the two types of puffers you have is probably 1.010 SG, and a refractometer is preferred over a hydrometer. So at the rate of + 0.002 per week, it will take 5 weeks.

The GSP will eventually require higher levels of salinity to thrive (1.015 to full SW conditions), the Figure 8's are fine at 1.005-1.010SG. In my opinion, any reputable marine salt mix will do with these fish.

Do you have any e-books or links to any good sources of proper ways of adding the salt? Like how you mix it and how much you add to raise to certain levels, etc..?

thanks.

p.s. great avatar. Cant wait till the 24 hour christmas eve marathon on tbs. I leave it on all day in my home!

truckin35
05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
be caeful i tried this and three fish died the freshwater and saltwater bacteria are different i think you need to do a drip line but i am not sure how to do this

Algenco
05-08-2009, 07:59 PM
be caeful i tried this and three fish died the freshwater and saltwater bacteria are different i think you need to do a drip line but i am not sure how to do this

a drip line is simply an airline with a valve used as a siphon to drip at a set rate, if you can get an IV line so much the better.
It's just another way to slowly raise the salinity, you can achieve the .002 per week increase by small additions of salt 3-4 times per week

kaybee
05-08-2009, 10:25 PM

Drip line is not a requirement.

Figure out the amount of salt is required for the increase, completely dissolve it and add it to the tank.

When I converted I think I determined how much salt was required to attain the 0.002ppm increase then divided that quantity by 7 and added that result daily.

Another method I tried was slowly adding small quantities of super saturated salt water (brine? i.e, 1.060+) to the tank (with the volume of the tank diluting the specific gravity down).

splitadams
05-09-2009, 03:50 AM
theres very few puffer species that can be kept together and gsps and figure 8s certainly dont make the exeption, you'll probably find that the gsp will kill the fig8s, a gsp may require full marine as it maures aswell. pick up a hydrometer or refractometer and rise the salinity by .002 per week you should be fine,
what i did was do a 50% water change each week but the water i put back in the tank was .004 higher than the tank salinty (eg. if your tank salinity is 1.010 and you make a mixture or 1.014, when theyre mixed the total salinity should be around 1.012), also keep in mind that its a good idea after mixing salt to let the new saltier water to sit for a couple of hours before putting it into your tank and recheck the salinity for changes.

and once the total salinity you were aiming for is reached, brackish fish like the salinity to fluctuate, so each water change i try and vary the mixture by .001 or.002

also check out www.thepufferforum.com youll be able to find out anything about puffers here