PDA

View Full Version : How Long After Adding Ammonia Do You Test

geowashlaw
12-13-2008, 02:57 AM
How long do I wait after adding the ammonia to test the levels... I've added about 20 ml to my 55g tank ... hasn't changed the reading at all ....

Wild Turkey
12-13-2008, 03:27 AM
How long do I wait after adding the ammonia to test the levels... I've added about 20 ml to my 55g tank ... hasn't changed the reading at all ....

You can calculate how long it will take to filter all the water in the tank by dividing tank size in gallons, by the gph filtering capacity of ur filter. the answer will be in hours (usually a decimal) like .3 hours, so 18 minutes or so. Figure it does this a few times, and ur fine.
Totally uneeded, just a note.

I would wait an hour or two, i use a big spoon and give it one nice lap around the tank to help ensure truer readings when i come back to test.(no fish in the tank, so it doesnt hurt anything) Make sure its clean of course, i have a spoon i use just for my aquariums.

geowashlaw
12-13-2008, 05:05 AM
well ... seems I was using the instructions from one test kit and the drops from another ... duh ... the instructions for the drops said wait five minutes ... the other instructions said it would show immediately ... so anyways I think the 20 ml pushed it to about 6 ppm, but I'm hoping that won't be too bad ...

Wild Turkey
12-13-2008, 05:06 AM
well ... seems I was using the instructions from one test kit and the drops from another ... duh ... the instructions for the drops said wait five minutes ... the other instructions said it would show immediately ... so anyways I think the 20 ml pushed it to about 6 ppm, but I'm hoping that won't be too bad ...

Lol minor goof, no harm done.

As for the 6ppm you can always waterchange some out

Lady Hobbs
12-13-2008, 11:13 AM
I've added too much at times, as well, and it doesn't matter as it's not an exact science. Some add enough for 4 on their tester each day but the average is 5. I dumped in 8 a time or two. Just didn't have to add ammonia again so quickly, is all. Just don't add too much once you start seeing nitrites. You need to back off then. I don't even use drops. I pour in maybe 1/8 c. then test after it has circulated a bit. If it's close to 5, that's good enough. If not close to 5, just add more.

Turn your heat up and aerate. Bacteria likes that warm water and oxygen.

geowashlaw
12-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys. I checked it this morning and its already back down to 4 ppm... I thiink its the plants ...

bludevlsi
12-19-2008, 06:49 PM
how much ammonia should i add to start the cycle

doug z
12-19-2008, 07:12 PM
how much ammonia should i add to start the cycle

It's all here:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640