PDA

View Full Version : Discus fish swimming in a spiral?

wilsonyoc1
12-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi ppl
I had a Pigeon Blood Red discus, he dead this morning :.(
He was 2 ½ inches big, he was doing fine 2 days ago. Then yesterday I saw him swimming in a spiral and swimming in to the sand. Then this morning he was dead. I also have 3 more discus. 1 blue 2 inches and the others are Snakeskin Discus 1 is about 5 inches and the other is also 2 inches. They are doing good. :goldfish: :fish:

Does anyone know why a fish would just swimming in a spiral?

Fishalicious
12-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Swimming in a spiral is usually a sign that the swim bladder has bust... it causes them to swim in circles...

So sorry for your loss :11:

wilsonyoc1
12-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Swimming in a spiral is usually a sign that the swim bladder has bust... it causes them to swim in circles...

So sorry for your loss :11:

I knew I should have taken him to the ER. Thanks the balloon made me feel better. thumbs2:

Northernguy
12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Welcome to the AC!
Sorry to hear about your fish!
How long have you been keeping fish?

LORENZO
12-13-2008, 10:08 PM
can you do anything about swim bladder problems in a discus or by then is it too late . i have never seen swim bladder problems before.

Fishalicious
12-13-2008, 10:31 PM
There is not a lot you can do I'm afraid.... once it is burst it cannot mend and the fish is unable to swim properly.

LORENZO
12-13-2008, 11:40 PM
:xdog: maybe you would know what it is for a fish to not be able to keep itself upright all the time but somehow can manage to get food and hang in there for weeks. I had this happen once last year to an angel fish. It survived healthily for awhile even though it could not swim properly. I thought that was its swimm bladder then. At first i thought it bumped itself and would get better but no i had to remove it. It was healthy looking at the time. any idea what that could be. NO fungus on the fish either and no wastage. It did maiintain its size. lost balance i guess.

wilsonyoc1
12-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Welcome to the AC!
Sorry to hear about your fish!
How long have you been keeping fish?
I really got into it this year in January. I have done a lot of research since them. I started with a 10 gallon tank then moved to a 36 gallon front bow it was NICE. But I wanted a bigger tank. So I go an 80 gallon tank now. Fun fun. :goldfish: :fish:

Northernguy
12-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Sounds nice,now you gotta get some pics up! lol
What is your water change schedule like? How much,how often?
What are all of your perameters testing at?

wilsonyoc1
12-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Sounds nice,now you gotta get some pics up! lol
What is your water change schedule like? How much,how often?
What are all of your perameters testing at?
Before I had the discus it was a 50% water change every 2 weeks sometimes it was once a month but that was when I had 9 angels in an 80G tank. Now it’s every week but I only change 30Gs off the 80Gs so it’s about 40% water change. I also have a TURBO-TWIST 3X VU sterilizer. The filter is a Marineland C360 and the lighting is just for planted aquariums nothing special.

wilsonyoc1
12-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Here are some Pics of my fish....

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=34381