PDA

View Full Version : Strange white marks on my fighter

Riddick
12-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Hey guys,

I'm somewhat in a panic.

My betta has these strange white/silver lines in his red fins. I'm not sure whether it's finrot or not because as i understand it fin rot starts eating the fins from the outside inwards. In my case these marks are on the middle of the fins going toward the edges of the fins. But i doesn't look like the fins are rotting away. His fins are very droopy.

What might be the problem and what do i do?

Dave66
12-12-2008, 09:49 AM
A photograph would be helpful, Riddick, along with your water conditions, as in pH, hardness, temperature, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Also what you feed him, and how much and how often. Tank size as well, along with gravel, filtration, and decorations.

Welcome to the forum, by the way :)

Dave

Riddick
12-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Hey Dave

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not the most high tech aquarium enthusiast. Only details i can offer is that i test my ph and it was 6.0 but has been for some time. I've occasionally boosted it to 6.5 but because it's a 22l tank it's tricky to get it stable.

I have a biological filter, that tank has been settled for about 8 months now. This red fighter is the pride and joy of all my tanks and i really don't want something to happen to him. The pics i'm trying to take isn't very high resolution so i'm not sure it'll be able to help you much.

What's i've done so far is a 6l water change and i then immediately treated it with Baktopur from Sera in the event it was fin rot.

With this limited info do you have any advice for me?

Riddick
12-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Here are two pics. Hope they are helpful.

Wild Turkey
12-12-2008, 10:35 AM
I would say first and foremost grab a master test kit, without readings of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, theres really no way to tell whats going on in the tank at all. Also i would say waterchange the meds out, and dont treat with meds unless you have identified the cause. Treating fish without warrant can weaken them and actually make them more likely to die from whats making them sick, or make them more likely to get sick. Ironic i know. You could get lucky, but it doesnt happen often enough for me to recommend just dosing and hoping.

Riddick
12-12-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm in an unfortunate position that i can't attain one of those master kits. The funny thing is the other fish i have him with seem unaffected. The only things i can recall i did differently was i put a female Ramrezi into the tank and i treated the water with a fizz tablet called "Jungle Correct pH Tank Buddies". So i'm not sure if it's the fizz stuff or the new fish (that might have bitten his fin during the night) that's the cause for what's going on.

Wild Turkey
12-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Do you have a bank account? Master test kits can be purchased online.
I also dont recommend messing with ph, a stable ph thats not in the fishes "optimal" range is preferably to a ph that fluctuates, even slightly. Its not worth it to change the ph in the small amounts you are talking about, and even so, Ph up/down products dont work at all, the ph will almost always return to its original reading within a short period of time, so basically the ph is constantly changing. You will mostly likely end up going a more natural route if you are really set on changing your ph.

Riddick
12-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Could this mucking around with the pH have cause this? His fins are droopy and i've noticed in the past when the pH is off that his fins droop.

Would it be advisable to put him in my bigger 60l jewel tank to recover? I just tested it and it's pH is 7.0. I'm using the Sera pH tester so it should be quite accurate.

Wild Turkey
12-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I would say just do a few large water changes over the next few days, that will get the meds out and get the ph back to normal, then move on from there.
I think that stopping the Ph flux will help a lot, even if it isnt the sole cause.

Riddick
12-12-2008, 01:43 PM
According to some of the research i did the conclusion was that it might be a fungus. Because i did spot a clump of cottonish white stuff at the top of his fins and it also seems to cover his fins that makes up his tail fin.

The only medicine i can get my hands on is TetraMedica Fungi Stop.

What's your opinion on this one?

Wild Turkey
12-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Dont use meds for bettas that arent made for them, they need special betta meds like "bettafix". Alternatively, you can and i would add a little salt and see if that helps things until you can find some. Any place that sells bettas should have it, but its often out of stock here.

Dave66
12-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey Dave

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not the most high tech aquarium enthusiast. Only details i can offer is that i test my ph and it was 6.0 but has been for some time. I've occasionally boosted it to 6.5 but because it's a 22l tank it's tricky to get it stable.

I have a biological filter, that tank has been settled for about 8 months now. This red fighter is the pride and joy of all my tanks and i really don't want something to happen to him. The pics i'm trying to take isn't very high resolution so i'm not sure it'll be able to help you much.

What's i've done so far is a 6l water change and i then immediately treated it with Baktopur from Sera in the event it was fin rot.

With this limited info do you have any advice for me?

Riddick,
There's absolutely no need to adjust your pH. If 6.0 is the tank's natural pH, that is just fine for your Betta, since their species developed in swampy, peaty water, which is very, very soft and acidic. So, your 6.0 is perfectly fine for your Betta, and remember, a stable pH is what you, and your fishes, want. Do not try to adjust it, as that simply stresses your fishes. Throw that pH adjuster into the garbage can.
The key to aquarium keeping is stability, and established aquariums, which yours is, do a very good job as to stability on their own. All you should do is to partial water changes, the water of the same temperature and chemistry as that in the tank, every week. I do between 20 and 40 percent, depending on the size of the aquarium. You should do 20 percent a week.

The partial change restores the electrolytes that the fish deplete and dilutes the Nitrate. It's like opening the window in a stuffy room.

Your fish actually looks OK, other than the clamped fins, which was either from vacillating pH or medication, or both.

At the very least pick up a liquid-based test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Just because your fish seems to have some white on his fin rays DOES NOT mean he is ill. A shotgun approach to medication just stresses the fish further. Testing the aquarium water first will enable you to make an informed decision what to do next.

And Bettas are a short-lived species, with two years the norm. You've no idea how old your Betta was when you bought him, and since you've had him 8 months . . . you'll probably have him just a few months more, if that, I'm sorry to say.

Dave

Riddick
12-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanx Dave

Unfortunately the little guy isn't looking very good this morning. It breaks my heart because he's been my favourite fighter i've had.

I appears his fins are falling off and he's lost alot of colour. On his body there are these white "patches" you could say.

I've had a few other fighters that started off with the same symtoms. Initially it's the strip marks in his tail and very rapidly there after he starts getting worse. The fins start drooping and start losing colour and later on the body it looks like the fish was "burnt". This sounds crass but i'm not sure how to describe it otherwise.

I would like to know probable and possible causes for this. This is the 3rd fighter i lost this way. I also recently added a female Ramrezi to the tank. She's been hiding the whole time and i'm starting to wonder whether she might have nipped his fin and he might have gotten an infection that way. I don't know. It's just mega-frustrating to sit here and watch it dying infront of me..

lovleeko
12-14-2008, 05:58 AM
Sounds like your dealing with fin rot. Are you saying you are keeping a female betta with him? If so you need to take her out. Not so much for his sake as for hers. This would be why she is hiding. You can only keep males and females together while they spawn. After that they need to be moved. And even while spawning the females can still get hurt.

Add tetracycline or maracyn 2 for the fin rot (once you determine that is what it is). I would suggest looking up some photos and articles about betta fin rot. And then after you treat it successfully you can add the bettafix to promote fin growth more. Betta fix doesn't really have enough muscle to kick the fin rot by it self. I have to agree with dave on this one. Normally male bettas are a year old at least when you get them from the store. This is so his fins are more extravagant. He may be nearing the end of his life. Also if you can find some betta max in your area or order online, it will help your betta when he is down and out and you can't nessacarly diagnose what the problem is. It is mild and is a good pick me up. But again doesn't have as much power for serious issues.

Thanx Dave

Unfortunately the little guy isn't looking very good this morning. It breaks my heart because he's been my favourite fighter i've had.

I appears his fins are falling off and he's lost alot of colour. On his body there are these white "patches" you could say.

I've had a few other fighters that started off with the same symtoms. Initially it's the strip marks in his tail and very rapidly there after he starts getting worse. The fins start drooping and start losing colour and later on the body it looks like the fish was "burnt". This sounds crass but i'm not sure how to describe it otherwise.

I would like to know probable and possible causes for this. This is the 3rd fighter i lost this way. I also recently added a female Ramrezi to the tank. She's been hiding the whole time and i'm starting to wonder whether she might have nipped his fin and he might have gotten an infection that way. I don't know. It's just mega-frustrating to sit here and watch it dying infront of me..