PDA

View Full Version : Shark fin Soup

Lady Hobbs
12-12-2008, 12:56 AM
I saw a program on TV last night about how the Chinese are killing sharks at a rapid rate just for their fins for soup in their fancy restaurants. They pull the shark from the water, cut the fins off and toss the body back into the ocean where the shark drowns.

This is as bad as killing an elephant just for the tusk.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/12/10/pip.shark.finning/index.html

Red
12-12-2008, 01:13 AM
yes.. I have seen a show like that.. It is sick and disgusting and people should never buy it. I think that is illegal to do here in the states and i think the whole north america

Lady Hobbs
12-12-2008, 01:14 AM
The rich buy it as a symbol of status. A bowl of it cost about $100 and is so tasteless they have to add chicken stock to it to give it some flavor.

Red
12-12-2008, 01:16 AM
psh.. Humankind in general is sick.. :(

Demi ^_^
12-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Eww! I think that is cruel and heartless... I always try too be respective of other people's cultures, but that is just barbaric and such a waste... :'''(

Dave66
12-12-2008, 09:28 AM
They also capture live seahorses to dry, grind up, and use in traditional medications. When most of the world signed off to prohibit capture of wild seahorses, since most species are moderately to severely endangered. Needless to say, some Asian countries refused to sign, and still take them, dry them, and grind them up.

I respect all cultures, but deliberately causing the eventual extinction of species is the height of foolishness.

Dave

Wild Turkey
12-12-2008, 09:58 AM
This has been a minor problem for a very long time, its an excellent way for small villages to make money off the citys but not have to move to them or work there. Its not a very respectable practice, and 95% of the sharks and thrown back in the manner described in the article, but they can only eat so much meat and usually have no way of curing it, or storage.

These chinamen, however, know better, and have the means to go about this in another way, they are just lazy. The villagers are trying to protect their existence and simplicity of life, not a status symbol.

I find the way in which the sharks are discarded to be the most disturbing, but the complete lack of fishing enforcement is a close second, i get out on the bay for 15 minutes and DNR is up my ass.

You cant even sit on a pier anymore without them pulling up and checking your license, etc. Its not a bad thing, but maybe we could donate a few officers, we have enough for sure.

It is somewhat frustraing when they are writing me a ticket for taking over 2 dozen, when the guy trolling lines isnt even checking the sizes.. meanwhile these guys are fishing in a STATE PARK and no one is around to even maintain a presence, much less write tickets.

I feel like the little guy often gets the tail end of fishing laws, while the commercial fisherman get way more leeway.

angelcakes
12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
They also capture live seahorses to dry, grind up, and use in traditional medications. When most of the world signed off to prohibit capture of wild seahorses, since most species are moderately to severely endangered. Needless to say, some Asian countries refused to sign, and still take them, dry them, and grind them up.

I respect all cultures, but deliberately causing the eventual extinction of species is the height of foolishness.

Dave
thats made me feel sick:scry:

Lady Hobbs
12-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Dave....

They had those seahorses on sticks they were selling during the Olympics.

Turkey........the netters are up to a lot of restrictions, as well. Takes a lot of money to maintain those big shrimp boats, nets and men to work for you and they were making sure they were scrapping the bottom clean of shrimp. Hurricanes messed with their shrimping as well as Red Tide so they made sure they got all they could get when they could shrimp. Many went to crab trapping but again they had restrictions, how many traps they could have and where. Not like you see on TV were thousands are dragged in by nets.

There will always be a group of people who push it to the limit not carrying about the generations after us. Those who have destroyed coral reefs, whale hunters, killing wild cats for their fur, elephants for their tusks, etc. We need to keep the balance of nature not destroy nature.

If it wasn't for deer hunting permits, people would be out every night killing off the deer population and selling the meat.

I don't see going nuts after someone who caught a fish 1 inch too short or maybe the guy took 4 instead of 3. It's not like he can carry 500 pounds of fish. It's the industries that are ruining things, not the little guy.

Wild Turkey
12-12-2008, 05:52 PM
I don't see going nuts after someone who caught a fish 1 inch too short or maybe the guy took 4 instead of 3. It's not like he can carry 500 pounds of fish. It's the industries that are ruining things, not the little guy.

I dont think ive ever heard a statement more true.

I didnt mean that the villagers are in the wrong, just saying they do it. They dont make any kind of dent like commercial fishing will. Just making a point that its not just a chinese thing.

The Wedge
12-12-2008, 07:35 PM
The problems and calamities of the world are driven by money...sadly we have to have a monetary system and money to survive currently. But it is the greed, gluttony, envy, and self-serving people that are the problem. It is not the 's fault doing this for mere survival...It is the pretentious self-driven, self-righteous, and self-centered people who are going to cause the human race's eventual demise. Simply, because they are incapable of thinking about anything else than their self. I feel pity about how truly miserable they must be. We are this way by nature...that is why need to take positive contrary action. Change is the only thing that is constant...Pain is resisting change. We can only change the world one person at a time. It is not futile if the end result is peace.

Demi ^_^
12-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Greed - the one word that is embedded in all this..

Some people just want way too much.. Killing the whales for example, for their blubber, oil and meat - their was a world-wide ban for this practise, but Japan got permission after saying 'it was for research' - When they were clearly over-killing for anything but research..

Poor elephants are slaughtered for their husks, whales are killed carelessly and painfully - the world is a cruel place.. Noone is caring for the future generations..

You have to think about the future. I am 13.. I realise that by the time I have children... Will their be any whales left? Will their be any elephants? We should care and provide for the future..

Wild Turkey
12-12-2008, 11:46 PM
You have to think about the future. I am 13.. I realise that by the time I have children... Will their be any whales left? Will their be any elephants? We should care and provide for the future..

Pretty insightful for 13. :thumb: major agree

smaug
12-12-2008, 11:56 PM
I remember feeling the same way when I was young,I was certain there would be nothing left when I "grew up"it was frightening and disheartening to hear all the bad news out there from so many sources.The truth is this,yes we live in a greedy society,as all society's have been since time immemorial.Don't lose heart young lady the planet and its inhabitants are far hardier then the press would have you believe.It will take time but we will overcome this issue just as the human race have overcome for tens of thousands of years.

abaigael04
12-15-2008, 08:28 PM
I actually just watched a DVD on this last night. :scry: Very sad and I could barely watch when the shark got thrown back in.. alive but with no fins. Torture ... and I don't agree it is all small people.. you should have seen the TONS of fins some of these people had drying on their roof... The other problem is it is in international waters (or some of it is) and so... who polices it?