PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Mystery Snail is sick (I think)

vamorris
12-11-2008, 09:54 PM
My Black Mystery Snail, Stanley, has always been really active, motoring all over my 2 gal fish bowl he shares with my female Betta. I tell everyone he's the fastest snail in the west, but for the last few days he has been really quiet, hardly moving and when he does, he moves really slow. Also, when he is on the glass, he looks like he's shrunk.

Except for putting one of those extended-release fish tabs for Bettas in the bowl over the Thanksgiving holiday as I was out of town for 5 days,I haven't changed anything or done anything different in the bowl. I hope that didn't do it!

Please - Stanley is the coolest snail - does anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to what may be wrong with him?

Wild Turkey
12-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Water change the meds out and see if that fixes it. Always research a med before using it in a tank with snails (ones you like) because alot of them can be harmful to them.

Otherwise, whats the temp in the tank? How old is he?

Honestly mystery snails are kind of annoying keep if you do it right. They need a high ph and a high calcium diet or their shells will rot away eventually. Crushed coral and kale are excellent for this. You can also crush up algae wafers, add calcium, then refreeze them.

Whats the name of the tabs?

terrapin24h
12-11-2008, 10:18 PM
feeder tabs(which is what i think you're talking about) flood the water with stuff which can cause ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate spikes. Do a large water change and don't forget to use de-chlorinator. As a general rule, snails can't put up with the cruddy water conditions a betta can. Granted, they are tough, but i don't as much as a betta. Also, some species of snails can't breath air, and they are at more of a disadvantage. Another thing that could be causing him to slow down is a water temp drop. Is your heater working?

--chris

terrapin24h
12-11-2008, 10:32 PM
rereading your post i see that we are tlaking about a 2 gal bowl; now that i see you have a 2 gal fish bowl with the snail and betta i really think we're talking about polluted water. Do'm a 50% water change and see if that help.

--chris

Wild Turkey
12-11-2008, 10:38 PM
I agree, if they are tabs for feeding the betta ( i didnt want to assume ) then definitely do those water changes ASAP.

Do you have a test kit?

I didnt want to bring it up before, but most people would say 5 gals is minimum for bettas, personally i think its 2.5+ but only in some cases, the tank being planted nicely would be one.

Northernguy
12-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Welcome to the AC!
What you should do right after the water change is get a small tank.A 10 gal tank is is cheap.Do water changes every few days.
If you can get yourself a 10 gal complete kit.They are very affordable and so much better for your fish and snail.It will make your beta act like a fish instead of a statue.
Please read the free E-book on the left.It will also answer your questions.

AABatteries
12-11-2008, 10:59 PM
You might be able to get away with a java fern in there.

vamorris
12-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone for your prompt replies!

I forgot to mention that I did do a 100% water change on the 6th day when I got back, and I'm going to do another one today. I do that once a week. It's weird - I put the same tabs (I don't remember the name right now, but they are little fish-shaped tabs about a 1/2" long and come in different colors) in 3 different bowls and non of them dissolved much except the one in Stanley's bowl - it was all over the place.

I don't know how old he is; I've only had him a few months, and he's small. I have a Gold Inca snail at home. I've read they like greens, but neither one of mine will eat them. I will try the other things that were suggested.

Thanks again!

Wild Turkey
12-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Your tank maintenance enthusiasm is excellent! However 100% water changes are excessive and somewhat stressful. Id suggest 50% weekly. What else to do you to the tank? Filter?

lovleeko
12-12-2008, 05:26 PM
A 100 % water change a week should be good. That should be plenty to keep the levels in there good unless you are overfeeding miss betta. Do you think that could be an issue? My females are even more voracious than my males it seems. Probably because their fins are shorter and they burn more energy swimming. If not keep up with the weekly changes. If you test your bowl a couple of days after cleaning it, you can time the ammonia if you always feed the same amount of food. Or around the same amount of food. You'll find if you do you usually get consistent reading for small amounts of ammonia on the same day and then you'll know to change your bowl on the day before you got the reading. (was that confusing? LOL)
I know loads about bettas but just acquired my snails three days ago so I'm no help there. In fact I think I'll have to get rid of them because my water is extremely soft and most of my fish prefer this.

Wow! Thanks everyone for your prompt replies!

I forgot to mention that I did do a 100% water change on the 6th day when I got back, and I'm going to do another one today. I do that once a week. It's weird - I put the same tabs (I don't remember the name right now, but they are little fish-shaped tabs about a 1/2" long and come in different colors) in 3 different bowls and non of them dissolved much except the one in Stanley's bowl - it was all over the place.

I don't know how old he is; I've only had him a few months, and he's small. I have a Gold Inca snail at home. I've read they like greens, but neither one of mine will eat them. I will try the other things that were suggested.

Thanks again!

Northernguy
12-12-2008, 05:29 PM
lovleeko ,I am sure you meant 50% w/cs.
That is the most I would recommend.
I still thnk you should be investing in a proper tank!

lovleeko
12-12-2008, 07:37 PM
It's a two gallon bowl. A 100 % water change isn't going to hurt anything in an uncycled bowl and is recommended.

lovleeko ,I am sure you meant 50% w/cs.
That is the most I would recommend.
I still thnk you should be investing in a proper tank!

Wild Turkey
12-12-2008, 07:46 PM
It's a two gallon bowl. A 100 % water change isn't going to hurt anything in an uncycled bowl and is recommended.

I disagree, 100% is too much for the fish and is stressful. 3 or 4 50% over a few days is much better than 100% all at once, no matter what the bio-situation. But, if the user hasnt done anything that would break the cycle, i would guess this tank is cycled since he mentioned it was up and running at thanksgiving and that was weeks ago.

Of course, assumptions are a bad thing, and having his water parameters would help as always.

100% water changes are never recommended unless something has gone seriously awry.

The best advice ive heard so far is upgrade to a ten gallon, they are 11$ at petsmart or 25$ with a hood that can take cpl lighting.

lovleeko
12-12-2008, 08:16 PM
I will have to agree to disagree with you on this one. A betta bowl with no cycle and no filter will need to be throuly cleaned sometimes. Now you could do a 50% here and there to help out with nitrite ammonia etc. But it is going to need to be washed out sometimes having no filter. My betta tanks that have no filters get changed 100 % . I age the water make sure it's the same temp etc. They barley even know if happened. They are absolutely not stressed out after I do this. One reason why is I make sure the only difference is that the water is clean. Same temp, same ph, the water is aged. The betta goes back to his or her normal doings as soon as they get released back in there. I have never heard of someone never doing a good cleaning on an uncycled bowl. Most betts sites give the same info. every gallon of water gets a weeks break. In other words if you have a three gallon tank you can wait three weeks to change the water completely if you do small water changes once a week. But after the third week. Wash the tank bowl etc. I abide by this rule. I have kept bettas way before I ever thought about having any other type of fish. I have always done this. Bettas are absolutely not good scavengers and especially if you have gravel in the tank. So this becomes even more important if you overfeed or betta eats less than expected. I guess it's inevitable that we wont agree all the time. :)

Wild Turkey
12-12-2008, 08:19 PM
I guess it's inevitable that we wont agree all the time. :)

I agree, seems like just a misunderstanding though,

I was working off the assumption he had a filter.

You were working off the assumption he did not.

In that way, we were both wrong, we shouldnt assume anything.

More info will help us resolve this, vamorris

lovleeko
12-12-2008, 08:29 PM
LOL Your right we shouldn't assume. I just assumed a 2 gallon bowl had no filter. But it's possible. So again, your right. :) Hey we agree again. LOL

I agree, seems like just a misunderstanding though,

I was working off the assumption he had a filter.

You were working off the assumption he did not.

In that way, we were both wrong, we shouldnt assume anything.

More info will help us resolve this, vamorris

Northernguy
12-12-2008, 09:07 PM
The original post didn't say nothing about a filter and hasn't been on in a few days.
I just hope they are out getting a proper tank.:22:

lol Do we all concur?

Wild Turkey
12-12-2008, 10:29 PM
The original post didn't say nothing about a filter and hasn't been on in a few days.
I just hope they are out getting a proper tank.:22:

lol Do we all concur?

AGREED:hmm3grin2orange:

mekuski
12-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Thank you for this wonderful information! My poor snail just died simply because I wasn't aware of these facts. I'd had "him" and my male betta together for over three years and was concerned it was the change in my housing that caused the demise. I was thinking that the bowl temp may have had something to do with the problem as he'd slowed down once the weather turned, but I also noticed the shell being very pitted. I'll get my light back out of storage and set up before a new friend comes home. Tanks again.

Northernguy
12-17-2008, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the AC!:22:
Why not just invest in a small tank and let your fish have room to swim.Your snail may haved lived longeras well!

terrapin24h
12-17-2008, 05:27 PM
but I also noticed the shell being very pitted.

Your water isn't right. That pitting is a sign that the water is too soft and too acidic and is eating your snail's shell. You need to get some dissolved solids into your water and get your GH and KH set before you bring a new snail into the tank lest the same thing will happen

--chris