PDA

View Full Version : Bummed Out!

Northernguy
12-11-2008, 02:32 AM
This is my bird Charlie!
He was quite a character.I could never get him to talk but I had no problem getting it to whistle with me.
He caught a cold the other night.It dropped to -25 and cooled down the house too much I guess.
Bummer ,he was only 7yrs old.

Gemini
12-11-2008, 02:47 AM
Sorry to hear that NG. :11:

Rue
12-11-2008, 02:59 AM
Sorry about your budgie.

I doubt one cold night killed him. Birds are more resiliant than we give them credit for. However, if he was in a drafty area for a long period of time, or wasn't eating properly, that would certainly not be good.

Birds are pros at hiding illness as well.

If you have any specific questions, you can ask me, I've had birds for over 25 years.

Wild Turkey
12-11-2008, 03:03 AM
Sorry for the loss buddy:11:

Lady Hobbs
12-11-2008, 03:24 AM
Darn it. So sorry to hear this. Birds get pneumonia very easily.

Northernguy
12-11-2008, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the replies
I have been trying to seal off all the drafts in this house for ever.Its always something different.We had a brutal night the other night and it was just crazy cold that night.He was fluffier than usual before I went to bed.The next morning he was in the bottom of his cage.I picked him up and wrapped him in a towel to warm him up.I gave him to my wife to hold as he passed.
At least he wasn't alone.
I do plan on getting a couple more soon!I would like to get a parrot but way too much money.

KrytterKrys
12-11-2008, 05:34 AM
aw poor thing :( i have a few budgies and a conure myself though :) in fact my baby sun is laying next to me right now sleeping on his back! lol such clowns they are! :P

Sharon
12-11-2008, 11:47 AM
So sorry, NG...:scry:

Rue
12-11-2008, 05:01 PM
The candle test is the easiest way to check for drafts. If the flame flickers, there's a draft. Use a beeswax candle around birds. Other types can kill them (long story).

There are heat panels esp. designed for birds that you can purchase. However, in a pinch, put a cover on the cage for the night and have a desk lamp aimed at the cage. That will give the bird a break from light itself, but still provide heat (and also from any draft). Just make certain the fabric doesn't touch the light bulb (fire hazard).

mrs fishpatrick
12-11-2008, 05:19 PM
sorry to hear about your loss

Red
12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
that sucks man..
Im sorry for the loss..

Northernguy
12-11-2008, 05:51 PM
The candle test is the easiest way to check for drafts. If the flame flickers, there's a draft. Use a beeswax candle around birds. Other types can kill them (long story).

There are heat panels esp. designed for birds that you can purchase. However, in a pinch, put a cover on the cage for the night and have a desk lamp aimed at the cage. That will give the bird a break from light itself, but still provide heat (and also from any draft). Just make certain the fabric doesn't touch the light bulb (fire hazard).
Thanks all ! I appreciate the replies.
Thanks Rue, I have a skirt around the bottom of the cage and a full wrap for the top.I also have an old lamp directly under the cage with a 60watt bulb for heat.I did what I could.
I have a new spot in the living room for my next venture.Less drafty than the kitchen area.I just wish they weren't so sloppy with everything and I sure hopo they don't squwack at the TV.
We only rent the house so the amount of work thats needed ain't coming out of my pocket.There is not near enough insulation in the walls for the location of the house.Thats a lot more than cosmetic work unfortunately.

angelcakes
12-11-2008, 06:29 PM
sorry for your loss buddy:scry:

lovleeko
12-11-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. Sorry for your loss:11:

Northernguy
12-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks both of you!
Thank you all! I really appreciate all the replies.

Lady Hobbs
12-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Have you considered having an electric heater and placing it near your bird....if you get another? They are pretty nice units now, thermostats, blowers and auto turn-off settings on them should they get tipped over. They can keep a whole room a nice even temp. I would not invest in a parrot unless you can regulate your room temps better, really. No drafts on them at all......like near a window, etc.

Northernguy
12-13-2008, 01:20 PM
I have a new spot set up for when I get another.
I was just trying to avoid having all that gravel in the carpet.
Thanks for the tips Lady Hobbs!

Rue
12-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Gravel?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Lady Hobbs
12-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Get that cover that sits under the cage that catches it. Helps a lot.

sandy_n
12-27-2008, 08:02 PM
I know I'm a little late here but sorry to hear about Charlie. He was a cute little guy!

wrathfulwarbling
12-17-2013, 01:06 PM
The candle test is the easiest way to check for drafts. If the flame flickers, there's a draft. Use a beeswax candle (http://www.ORTHODOXCANDLES.com) around birds. Other types can kill them (long story).

I'm very sorry for your loss. Next time you buy a bird try using a beeswax candle like what Rue said. You can also buy an electric heater that can cover the entire room.

Cliff
12-17-2013, 01:08 PM
This thread is 5 years old now.

You might want to check the dates before responding

The OP has not even been on the site in about 2 years now