PDA

View Full Version : Cycling question

geowashlaw
12-11-2008, 12:12 AM
okay I set my tank up on saturday afternoon (96 hours ago). Planted it with plants. on monday I put a huge cup (24 oz.) of water out of my current tank into it and also rinsed out the filter from my current tank in it. Today the readings are Ammonia: 0 ppm; Nitrites: 0 ppm; Nitrates 0 ppm; pH 7.2 .... looks like no cycle ... am I expecting too much too soon?

Wild Turkey
12-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Well, you almost have the right idea. Adding water from the other tank wont do much except maybe introduce some nitrates, which wont do anything.
Any of these will work
Take a good portion of the filter media from the established tank and put it in the new tank's filter and add fish that day.
Run the new filter on the old tank for 2 weeks, then move it over and add fish that day.
Take some of the gravel from the established tank, bag it, insert it and start adding your ammonia for fishless cycling. It will speed up the process some (maybe)

Other wise, just start adding the ammonia for the fishless cycle and hold onto your horses.... and test tubes your gonna need em ;)