PDA

View Full Version : Prehistoric Shark

f1oored
01-25-2007, 06:49 AM
Would like your thoughts on this video.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2007/01/prehistoric-shark.html

Sasquatch
01-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Looks more like a sick and deformed shark than a pre-historic one.

It's obvious it's not too responsive, the camera man bumps into it and it doesn't do anything.

The deformed back, oversized head and cloudy eyes all point to malnutrition. My fatheads had a similar appearance when they got old and stopped eating.

My 2 cents, it's an old shark on it's last legs (fins?) and someone was lucky enough to catch it on tape.

jeffs99dime
01-25-2007, 06:26 PM
that's different!

f1oored
01-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Whatever it was, it wasn't healthy. It died a few days after capture. It is a nasty looking fish though.

cocoa_pleco
01-25-2007, 08:39 PM
wonder if theyre common enough and they can breed?:confused:

Its eyes kinda looked like the live fish at my local food store. Popeye and cloudy eye and fin rot are so visible on the fish, and theyre as big as oscars and they keep like 10 in a 33g tank. I just wanna but them all and keep em as pets.
How can people eat those diseased things??

Also, are the clams for sale live at stores freshwater?? can you keep em as pets?

cocoa_pleco
01-25-2007, 08:42 PM
and weird lookin gills on that thing.
JAWS senior. lol

Drumachine09
01-26-2007, 03:49 AM
I found it!!!1 Nessie was taking a little vacation time off of the coast of japan.
Ladies and gentleman, we've got'em!thumbs2: :19: thumbs2:

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2007, 04:28 AM
hahahaha. He needed a break from hunters:1:

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2007, 05:41 PM
seriously... what is that white stringy stuff comin from his gills? major parisites?

Glasstapper
01-27-2007, 12:57 AM
I read the article about it. It's called a frilled shark and there hasn't been many sightings of them because they mostly stay at a depth of 2000 feet. They don't need much vision at that depth because there's no light. Most fish that are still alive at that depth haven't evolved much at all. They haven't needed to evolve because there isn't much that affects the ocean at those depths, not even humans.

Anyway, this particular shark only surfaced because they think it was either caught and damaged in a net or trap that some fisherman set that deep for bigger fish. Or they think it maybe just got sick and disoriented. You can see how lethargic it is.

My thoughts? I think overfishing affected this shark's food chain and it swam up too far looking for food. It's used to heavy water pressure, so the new depth could have damaged it and disoriented it resulting in killing it. It makes me very sad, but I'm glad we got to catch a glimpse of one of the very many strange creatures that live where humans can't go.

cocoa_pleco
01-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Poor guy seems to waddle like a 15 year old bloated duck.
weird white worms on gills

Glasstapper
01-27-2007, 01:12 AM
I don't think those are worms. He's called a frilled shark, so I'm thinking maybe that's some sort of gill filtration? Like frilled gills? I wish we could just research them just like we do on our fish.

cocoa_pleco
01-27-2007, 01:14 AM
if it were parisites, he'd need about 500,000,000 gallons of pimafix in his big tank.:hmm3grin2orange: