PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm officially the crazy fish lady

lovleeko
12-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I think I have decided that after Christmas I'll buy a betta. A pure bred betta pair which is going to cost me one hundred big ones. This combined with the fact that I woke up late yesterday morning and had to haul butt around the house trying to hurry up and leave because it was two for Tuesday at the LFS. What? I had to get there before all the other crazy fish people. LOL

I hope I'll make at least half of my money back by breeding the pair. This is the breed I've decided on. What do you think?

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/images/satin_flame_st_bf_male2.gif

Wild Turkey
12-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Ok, is it bad that when i saw this title i immediately thought of hobbs? LOL j/k <3 Hobbs.:19:

That betta is to die for lov, i dont think you will have any problems selling off those fry. Good luck!

Edit: Agreed with sir tristen! have you seen my sorry excuse for a betta? lol

Sir Tristen
12-10-2008, 03:51 PM
That is one beautiful fish! I don't know if I could restrain myself from buying that fish (or one like it) if I saw it in a local store. There are bettas and there are :18:bettas:18: , that's one of the second type.

lovleeko
12-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Hobbs, I'm glad I'm not alone. LOL

Thanks WT I know some would make all of their money back and profit some. I guess I'm just a little new to the selling for profit thing. I wanted to sell for as cheap as possible. Really if I break even I'll be happy just to have a pair of satin flames. Plus I'm not real sure how the market is here for specialty bettas. I talked to the LFS. They get specialties once in a blue moon because they are so expensive and it is a shot in the dark as to how many betta gurus will buy them. Since a novice betta owner looks at the price tag with dismay.

Sharkman
12-10-2008, 03:56 PM
yes you are the crazy fish lady lol. Very pretty betta though.

Sir Tristen
12-10-2008, 03:57 PM
They may look w/ dismay, but then again, I bet they've never seen bettas like that before.

Taurus
12-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Hobbs, I'm glad I'm not alone. LOL

Thanks WT I know some would make all of their money back and profit some. I guess I'm just a little new to the selling for profit thing. I wanted to sell for as cheap as possible. Really if I break even I'll be happy just to have a pair of satin flames. Plus I'm not real sure how the market is here for specialty bettas. I talked to the LFS. They get specialties once in a blue moon because they are so expensive and it is a shot in the dark as to how many betta gurus will buy them. Since a novice betta owner looks at the price tag with dismay.

Good Luck lov..I know that is one beautiful betta!!thumbs2:

lovleeko
12-10-2008, 04:03 PM
True, Thanks for the compliments on the choice sir tristen. If there was an IBC breeder near me I could get it for cheaper. But it would be cheaper to pay for the air mail than to drive to the nearest one. I wish I did though because sometimes they will let you buy culls that have experienced tail blow out etc. for cheap. even though they are no longer as pretty they carry the same genes so it would be just as good for breeding purposes. Since I dont plan on showing. Oh well, thats out I guess.

They may look w/ dismay, but then again, I bet they've never seen bettas like that before.

lovleeko
12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
been doing some research into the satin flames genes and found out they also produce opaques and ivories. So I could end up with some pure white ones. I have a friend who is really hoping for that because she is dying to have one. Again though, I'm not sure if that would sell to novice betta keepers. I can already hear, "why isn't it colorful?" LOL

Wild Turkey
12-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Whites are awesome looking to me, thats what i thought my betta was when i bought him, now hes pink ROFL

betta_Mike
12-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Beautiful choice!! Love the flame coloration. One question...Is this a super delta or halfmoon? Either way its gorgeous!! G'luck with the breeding!

Kathyd
12-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Good luck! Excellent choice.

lovleeko
12-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys for all the compliments and well wishes. It's halfmoon.

Beautiful choice!! Love the flame coloration. One question...Is this a super delta or halfmoon? Either way its gorgeous!! G'luck with the breeding!

Brookfish
12-11-2008, 12:09 AM
If you are going to breed Bettas I don't think you could have
chosen a nicer Betta to start with, gorgeous fish.
Btw were you first in line at the LFS? LOL

Lady Hobbs
12-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Ok, is it bad that when i saw this title i immediately thought of hobbs? LOL j/k <3 Hobbs.:19:

That betta is to die for lov, i dont think you will have any problems selling off those fry. Good luck!

Edit: Agreed with sir tristen! have you seen my sorry excuse for a betta? lol

LOL And my thought was I am so glad someone has taken over my title!

Lady Hobbs
12-11-2008, 12:14 AM
I think I have decided that after Christmas I'll buy a betta. A pure bred betta pair which is going to cost me one hundred big ones. This combined with the fact that I woke up late yesterday morning and had to haul butt around the house trying to hurry up and leave because it was two for Tuesday at the LFS. What? I had to get there before all the other crazy fish people. LOL

I hope I'll make at least half of my money back by breeding the pair. This is the breed I've decided on. What do you think?

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/images/satin_flame_st_bf_male2.gif

Nice betta.

lovleeko
12-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks. As for your question, yes basically I was. their were not as many people there as I thought. Last month they were wall to wall. Guess I rushed for nothing. Normally you have to pick a number and wait for them to call your number. The manager over the freshwater part and I always talk while I'm there and this time they were kind of slow and half the employees were standing around talking with me and the manager. LOL Guess the other fish crazies slept in. There were a few people there with their buckets and pales ready to buckle down for the butt load of fish they were gonna purchase. I really didn't get that much either. I really wanted some crowntail bettas but they only had veil tail :(

They were basically wiped out of corys :( So none of those either.

If you are going to breed Bettas I don't think you could have
chosen a nicer Betta to start with, gorgeous fish.
Btw were you first in line at the LFS? LOL

Nobodynotime
12-11-2008, 05:41 AM
That betta looks freakin sweet.... candycane colors for christmas time! Awesome!

Dave66
12-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Great looking male Betta, that. And my significant female other is just as fish crazy as I am, so we are the King and Queen crazy fish folks.

Dave

lovleeko
12-11-2008, 05:49 AM
LOL I just told my friend that all my male bettas turn out to have some kind of red. I dont even own a red female but all my males are red. I just can't move past the satin flame and have almost completely made up my mind. I was still researching the line and genes and what type of fish they produce. So I can get a mix of whites, solids or the traditional satin flames from the pair. Which is all okay with me.

The only thing that sucks is that I can't sell them as satin flames. The name is owned by the creator. Guess I have to make up my own name for them LOL

That betta looks freakin sweet.... candycane colors for christmas time! Awesome!

Northernguy
12-11-2008, 06:03 AM
Wow A Canadian Beta! :22: What a beauty!thumbs2:
I would love to get some of those!
I hope the breeding goes well!:19:

Taurus
12-11-2008, 04:24 PM
And my significant female other is just as fish crazy as I am, so we are the King and Queen crazy fish folks.

Dave

LOL...Dave..you sound just like me. I'm with a female significant other, too!
I never phrase the situation the same way. Girlfriend? Nah..sounds to immature. I think I'll start using FSO, as in this is my FSO when doing introductions. Hmmm..but then I'd have to explain what a FSO is. :l19:

lovleeko
12-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Great looking male Betta, that. And my significant female other is just as fish crazy as I am, so we are the King and Queen crazy fish folks.

Dave

My husband not so much. He thinks they look cool but could not really care less.

Do you guys ever clash over fish. Like what to get next etc.?

candycane
12-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I wish my LFS had a "two-for Tuesday"!!

lovleeko
12-11-2008, 11:10 PM
LOL. It is pretty awesome. I vowed the other day not to buy fish unless it is two for tuesday. Another way to conserve money because I have so many tanks. They also have their ridiculous fish sale. Which is where every month they have a list of fish that are on sale for a good amount off. I will go and get a fish then too if it is one that I want. There is usually a really good deal or two on there and then the rest of the time it is usually tetras and barbs that go on sale. For like one dollar instead of two. But if you were planing on getting a school it is a pretty good deal. Should save me some money if I can stick with the vow. LOL

I wish my LFS had a "two-for Tuesday"!!