PDA

View Full Version : Floating Female In The Tank?

s72450
12-10-2008, 04:25 AM
I have a female betta tank, four females plus four zebra danios and two albino cories. I've noticed one of my females has some fin damage and has been sluggish so I'm worried. I honestly havn't noticed the other girls being aggresive to her, but I want to get that fin damage healed up.

I have several other smaller tanks but only three with heaters, one if my 29g, the other is a 10g, and then my 5.5g. I really can't move her into the 5.5 because my male is in that tank and then the 29g is semi-aggresive. I also have a ton of plants in the 10g she is currently in so I don't want to use salt, although I know that promotes healthy fins.

So here is my question. I have a small container, well slightly larger than most bowls that bettas are housed in at stores. Could I float this in the 10g so as to not take her out of the tank completely? I could put salt into the bowl so she could heal. I'm worried about doing this though since the bowl would be floating on top of the water and would be near the light.

Any thoughts?

Wild Turkey
12-10-2008, 05:47 AM
You could, but be prepared to change the water in the container.

Usually keeping corys in certain tanks creates these types of problems. Without them you could just use a divider and add a little salt to the tank.

s72450
12-10-2008, 06:13 AM
Do you think the cories are responsible for the fin damage?

Wild Turkey
12-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Do you think the cories are responsible for the fin damage?

No, in fact they are the last fish i would suspect, the problem is they are very sensitive to salt, so treating with salt meds or salt (cures for ich especially)
becomes a lot more of a pain. I assumed that was why you wanted to treat the betta separately in the first place.

I would find a new tank for the betta, or something to that effect. Im sure the culprits are the other bettas, and i doubt it wont happen again if you return the betta to the community tank.

s72450
12-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Yeah I knew they were sensitive to the salt and I've also heard it's not good for your plants and it's a heavily planted tank.

candycane
12-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Maybe it would be easier to buy her a 1 1/2 or 2 gallon fishbowl for a temporary home. That's what I use to quarantine my Bettas when I first bring them home.
You can buy a mini heater, but it will only raise the temp to a few degrees above room temp though. Good luck!!

Sir Tristen
12-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Another tank for healing is a good idea anyway if you can afford it, but it probably won't cure the problem. As WT said, somebody is beating up the girl, and they probably won't stop if you put her back in after hospitalization. It could just be the females establishing a pecking order still. How long has the tank been going? Have you read about female betta tank setups? I've heard it can be a bit brutal at first.

Northernguy
12-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Isolate your beta and try some Betafix.It promotes healing for beta fish .

s72450
12-13-2008, 05:11 AM
She's back in the big tank now and doing well. Her injuries were a result of my other females from my first sorority tank. I have them in a 10g now that is heavily planted and has four zebra danios and three cories. I've found that this lessens the need to fight with the girls, in fact I've not had any fighting going on.

"Eve" seems really happy in her new tank and is swimming around happily.

lovleeko
12-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Glad to hear she is doing better. Sometimes it is better for the hierarchy to keep odd numbers. Though I have done extensive studies on betta sororities, I have never had one be successful. I keep being tempted to try again. I might try it soon when I fix the problems I'm having with the cycle in my extra tank.

Anyway, glad your lady is doing better!! thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
12-14-2008, 05:44 AM
Why are you using salt? It's not needed for Betta's.

s72450
12-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Really? I've read elsewhere that it was good for regrowing fin and healing up damage.

Lady Hobbs
12-14-2008, 07:29 PM
No more than good clean water will do. I have used salt for open wounds but Melafix is less harsh and just as efficient in healing.