PDA

View Full Version : Conditional eaters...

cmb1177
12-09-2008, 11:11 PM
I've got a well-planted 22 gal with some harlequin rasboras, neons, bronze corys. Trouble is, the rasboras and neons won't come to the surface to eat. They'll only eat whatever gets pushed down by the filter current, and that's only *some* of the flake food. I keep trying to feed bloodworms, but none of them come up to get it. Now, a few days ago there were a few danios in there in place of the neons. They obviously fed at the top, and I guess this encouraged the rasboras to, as well, cause they did. Since the danios moved out, and the neons in...nothing. They are a lot less active since the danios were moved, too. Water parameters are fine; I check them all time, and the only thing that shows up the day of my weekly water change is nitrate at 10 ppm. I know, or at least I'm sure, I'm at the stocking limit of this tank (6 rasboras, 4 neons, 5 corys), so I'm not assuming that's the problem, if there is one at all. This is my first experience keeping neons, as I've had the rasboras and corys for a while, so maybe this is just part of the neons behavior, and the rasboras are emulating it? I'll post a picture of the setup later, if that will help. Thanks!

mac
12-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi,
I have kept plenty of neons and still do. I have 17 in a 66 gallon Library tank.

IMO I think they are quite the bore. They just hover around the mid section of the water, and from time to time look around for foods. But as for them not going to the surface to eat, IME that is odd. Mine always use to go to the top, and feed with the Betta Rasboras, Rainbows and Pencil Fish.

As for your tank it sound fine for the stocking. What type of Corys do you have?

Your water Parameters are alright. Your tank has been cycled. I can't remember do you have plants?

All my tanks that the Neons where in had plenty of plant cover. And plants at the top of the tank, for top cover.

As for getting food to the Neons, you might want to try and soak the flake food. Then it will sink striate away. just remember this can be a very sticky job. The flakes stick to your fingers very well. So I just dip my fingers in the soaked food, and swirl it around just under the surface. Just not over fast with the swirling.

Hope this gives you some help,
mac

cmb1177
12-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Hi mac; thanks for the reply, and the suggestions! I'll have to try to *sink* it, as you said.

Yes, I do have plants. After my post, I started to think maybe I should try floating some hornwort.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you about the activity of neons; of course, they're beautiful to look at, but that's about it. Their behavior has been, so far, a bit boring to watch, though they are pretty. Like I said in my first post, the rasboras seem to be emulating whoever their tank mates may be, so I don't have very much action in this tank.

The corys I have are bronze; IMO, the exact opposite of neons....not the most eye-catching, but very interesting to watch.

Attached a pic of the tank; maybe it'll help

Thanks again!

Gemini
12-10-2008, 04:50 AM
My neons only come to the top when starving - otherwise they wait for the flake to sink and grab it on the way down.
I would prefer to watch my corys any day to my neons - I thought neons would be cool active top fish. They aren't.
Your tank looks great by the way!! Good job!!! thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
12-10-2008, 05:05 AM
My neons only come to the top when starving - otherwise they wait for the flake to sink and grab it on the way down.
I would prefer to watch my corys any day to my neons - I thought neons would be cool active top fish. They aren't.
Your tank looks great by the way!! Good job!!! thumbs2:
Agreed, i see the same in neons and cardinals alot. Nothing to worry about, but i much prefer to watch my corys over them :)
Danios will encourage other fish to eat more aggressively, since they are such aggressive eats themselves, and when they go for food it seems to get the attention of all the other fish in the tank.

jb300m01
12-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Awesome tank! You can try granules... They are small and sink almost instantly. It just takes a little longer as you have to slowly add them. You don't want granules raining down, unless your cories like them too! (mine do)

Sir Tristen
12-10-2008, 06:22 AM
I would recommend micro wafers. My CPD's do well on them (finely crushed flake too) and the wafers sink fairly well. The tank goes crazy at feeding time. The CPD's feed just above the bottom for now too, but I've heard of them going to the top for some.

mac
12-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi,

Very nice tank. Some floating plants would finish it of very nicely.

As for the Bronze Corys even though they are very plane, to me I find them the best looking of all Corys!

For the Neons I would just get the food down to them, and you will be fine.

Other wise I see no trouble at all.

See you around.

mac

sleeby
12-11-2008, 06:05 PM
and for the bloodworms you mentioned - use a cap or a paper dixie cup and put some tank water in it - just a TBSP or two and then sprinkle the dried bloodworms in that and let soak for a minute or so. That way they will not float on the surface and will sink to your neons, raspboras and cories.

Shrimp pellets would also be enjoyed by everyone in your tank.