PDA

View Full Version : help with switching tanks

jhank
01-23-2006, 07:37 PM
I have had a 55 gallon with about 10 small mixed cichlids for about two months. Friend gave me a 90 gallon. what is the best course for swithching over. can i just use the same water out of 55 and then add more water. kinda like a water change? If i just move the filters from one to the other will it keep my water cycle balanced?[/b]

William
01-24-2006, 12:23 AM
Yes you can use the water from the old one like a water exchange but I recommend that you take the water from the 55 gallon (you can keep your cichlids in a bucket during the time you're transfering water etc) and than slowly add more water to the aquarium each day untill you 90 gallon is full. Lets say for exampel that you add 5 gallons a day.

Moving the filter will help keep the water balanced but it also recommonded that you move some gravel and decorations to the new aquarium. However your new aquarium will not be as good as your old one in regards to breaking down waste matter for the first few weeks (month) a you should therefore feed more sparingly during this time.

You are giving your new aquarium a jump start but will not get a fully functional aquarium right from the start by this method.

Another perhaps better option if you have the time is to setup the new aquarium, adding some, maybe 10 gallon of water, and some gravel to it and than letting it stand empty for a couple of weeks before you move your fish.

jhank
01-28-2006, 01:07 AM
I think i will try what you said about letting it stand empty for a little while
Thanx:)