PDA

View Full Version : Forum News (read for info on updates)

William
12-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Friends....
We have made some changes around the forum today. These change both add new forums and remove one of the existing ones.

After much discussion between Myself and the Mods and due to complaints from our Membership, we have decided to close the Controversial forum for the good of the community.

This has not been an easy decision as we have had some great discussions in that forum but some have not been so great and have lead to discontentment and arguments between members, threads closed and feelings have been hurt. Sometimes even destroying old forum friendships. The section has also demanded a lot of time from the mod team, time that otherwise could have been used toward helping people with fish related questions and improving the site. To all of you who enjoyed the controversial section I would like to express my sympathy that it is now being removed. You are not alone; I will miss it as well. This will not effect your post count.

Chatterbox will remain for little tid-bits you wish to share and for discussing non fish related issues.

We have added a fish compatibility forum as a lot of the topics discussed around here is related to this topic. This forum can be found s a sub forum to the general aquarium forum.

We have also decided to add two new photo forums. One forum for all of you who would like critic on your photos and advice on how to make them better. The other forum that will be a general photo forum where you can post your pictures of whatever you want. This forum is not fish related but I decided to add it anyway as learning to take photos of other things is an important step toward learning how to take photos of fish.

To a new New Year and a New beginning.
Thanks everyone, William and The Mod Staff

Northernguy
12-10-2008, 12:11 AM
I kinda like the idea!
The picture forums sounds interesting toothumbs2: . I am always interested in finding out how to get a better pic!

Brookfish
12-10-2008, 12:21 AM
I can't comment on the Controversial forum as I have never posted in it
but thanks for the pic forums, they should lead to lots more member
interaction and participation.

Wild Turkey
12-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Im a little confused on this one, is this an attempt to stop conversations that have to do with politics/religion etc? Or just trying to make it easier on the mods?

Im all about helping out the mods, but i dont think that limiting what we can or cant say further is going to bring in new members, or keep old ones.

Some clarification on the ultimate goal of this may be helpful,

Perhaps a new set of rules for chatterbox would be a good idea? Otherwise, I feel that this wont limit the amount of posts or their content, just that they will end up in chatterbox instead.

Just one mans thoughts

As everyone knows, i love the contra section.(loved) I think it was a big part of getting to know each other.

Nobodynotime
12-10-2008, 03:17 PM
As everyone knows, i love the contra section.(loved) I think it was a big part of getting to know each other.

I'll second that.

Sir Tristen
12-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Never posted in the controversial section myself. I can see where the mods are coming from in this. There were hurt feelings, and I feel that can be detrimental to what I love about this forum, but I can see the desire to have a healthy debate as well. I guess I'm still for the change over all. As far as the pics go, that will be great!!!

Thanks to William and the mods:)

Alfcea
12-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I will miss the controversial section. I understand that I am speaking on behalf of myself only, but I never felt hurt. I thought I was always treated decently and respectfully and I was really pleased to be a member of such an open and mature community... but I guess there were many posts, ideas and conversations that I missed...

But, hey! "What's bad for the individual is good for the society and therefore good for all!" (traditional)

I hope these changes bring about a closer, tighter community...

William
12-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Im a little confused on this one, is this an attempt to stop conversations that have to do with politics/religion etc? Or just trying to make it easier on the mods?

Im all about helping out the mods, but i dont think that limiting what we can or cant say further is going to bring in new members, or keep old ones.

Some clarification on the ultimate goal of this may be helpful,

This is not designed to make the life easier for the mods but rather to bring the community closer together. The goal with this is to try to prevent falling outs and people getting mad at eachother and bringing those arguments over to other parts of the forum. You might not see much of this as the mod team is doing a fantastic job but it does effect things between different members behind the scenes and it causes bad feelings and members leaving. ( not mods)

Wild Turkey
12-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Ok, sorry Will, ive heard things but didnt look into what was going on while i was gone.

I feel that if everyone takes things in good stride, we wont see anymore deletion threads like this, only creation!

Remember when you are here: Everyone here is united by a common goal that if you shared with your average fellow, well, you wouldnt be here.

Im all about anything that helps keep old, and bring in new members. :)

William
12-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Well said. Ands you have nothing to say you are sorry for.
I understand how you feel. I liked the section as well.

Tolley
12-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I agree on your decision to delete the controversial forum as it did 'divide' some members.