PDA

View Full Version : Is my snail dead?

lovleeko
12-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I know nothing about snails and I bought some today. I got two of them. they are mystery snails. And OMG I love them. They are so cute!!! But I put them in the tank and one is just sitting there doing nothing. The other one took off and is hanging upside down from a fake plant. LOL. The other still has not moved. I read something about them playing dead. How am I supposed to know? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sharkman
12-09-2008, 10:15 PM
How long has it been laying there in the same spot? Are there any other fish in the tank that could harm it? Did you acclimate the snails or just drop them in?

Wild Turkey
12-09-2008, 10:18 PM
This is actually an easy one.... take him out, smell it.

If its dead you will know very quickly, otherwise but him back.

I would do some research on mysteries, before ur warranty expires. they are a lot more complex of a keep than most assume.

Northernguy
12-09-2008, 10:26 PM
After you smell it check out this site! lol
http://applesnail.net/

lovleeko
12-09-2008, 11:00 PM
It doesn't smell bad. then again it has only been a few hours. Thanks NG for the link.

Sharkman, there is basically nothing in the tank LOL. there is a platy a tiny juvenile guppy and a botanical ram. So no one that would hurt it. And it basically hasn't moved since I took it out of the bag. Yeah I acclimated him. A little longer than what was necessary probably. I was kinda busy so they got a little longer acclimation than they needed. He has been sitting there in that spot for about two hours I think. He was laying upside down for a moment there and I think I saw him out a little more than he was before so I think it's alive. I turned him back over. Not sure if he did it or if someone knocked him over. why do I keep saying him LOL

gm72
12-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Another easy way to tell if a snail is dead is to try to open the operculum (shield that covers the opening to the shell). A live snail will close it tightly if you touch it. A dead one won't do a thing with it...because it's dead.

Do you ever type something and then smack yourself in the forehead and say "well no kidding." Wow, deep insight there, huh? :sconfused:

Wild Turkey
12-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Dead mysterys will smell VERY bad, almost immediately after death.
They will foul ur water just as fast, so if you find he does stink, remove him and test levels immediately. Just keep checking him, hes most likely just shocked from the change in environments.

One of the biggest problems with my snail tank was when one mystery dies (from old age or anything) it fouls up the water so fast it endagers the other snails, and the more you have, the harder it is to spot the one that isnt moving.

Do you know the care requirements for them?

lovleeko
12-09-2008, 11:23 PM
LMAO I might have to try that if I can't get some movement out of him soon. Thanks

Another easy way to tell if a snail is dead is to try to open the operculum (shield that covers the opening to the shell). A live snail will close it tightly if you touch it. A dead one won't do a thing with it...because it's dead.

Do you ever type something and then smack yourself in the forehead and say "well no kidding." Wow, deep insight there, huh? :sconfused:

Sharon
12-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Take a small sniff...I sniffed mine rather aggressively, and the smell is indescribable!:ssuprised: