PDA

View Full Version : Bristle nose ??

Northernguy
12-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I am thinking of getting a bristle nose pleco for my community tank.
The one I saw is 2 1/2" long and light colored.I am not concerned about it eating guppy fry but I am concerned about losing any cory fry.
Will it eat the cory fry?I don't think it will get the guppy fry.

Sharkman
12-09-2008, 10:25 PM
maybe hold off for a little until the cory fry are bigger. I don't see why the bristlenose would eat them as they are really peaceful, but I would just keep the bristlenose well fed so it has no reason to for them.

Northernguy
12-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I know they are peaceful but they are always hungry.I am just worried about it eating almost 1/2" cory fry as it swims along the bottom.

Wild Turkey
12-09-2008, 10:40 PM
I agree, if they will fit, they are a meal. They inhabit the same part of the tank so you are asking for it. Doesnt have as much to do with temperment as hunger.
You may be able to just wait a few weeks and get away with it, but of course the next batch will be a buffet.

Northernguy
12-09-2008, 11:45 PM
I can live with that! I 'll have a nice sized school with these ones.
That'll give me 16.

Wild Turkey
12-09-2008, 11:46 PM
I can live with that! I 'll have a nice sized school with these ones.
That'll give me 16.

Id say thats the way to go then brother, just give it a bit and grab the plec. have your cake and eat it too, so to speak ;)

Northernguy
12-10-2008, 12:05 AM
lol I'll see how long I can stand leaving it at the lfs.

james481
12-11-2008, 12:08 AM
I don't know about anyone else's experience, but my BN Plec is totally indifferent to fry swimming around her, although I do keep her well fed on cucumber and NLS pellets. I've even seen fry hiding under one of the Pleco's fins waiting for the pellets to come raining down, and it seems like she couldn't care less. I would be pretty surprised to see a BN eat anything that can swim out of the way.

Northernguy
12-11-2008, 01:41 AM
I don't know about anyone else's experience, but my BN Plec is totally indifferent to fry swimming around her, although I do keep her well fed on cucumber and NLS pellets. I've even seen fry hiding under one of the Pleco's fins waiting for the pellets to come raining down, and it seems like she couldn't care less. I would be pretty surprised to see a BN eat anything that can swim out of the way.

How large is your pleco?

james481
12-11-2008, 08:21 PM
How large is your pleco?

I guess I haven't measured her lately, but I would guess nose-vent length of about 3-3.5 inches (she's mostly fin...)

LORENZO
12-11-2008, 08:40 PM
:goldfish: :goldfish: OH NOTHING like that bristlenose female albino pleco. Very passive fish really. does nothing but sits on her driftwood .... eats lots of sinking pellets. The clowns do not bother her. What a fish. i have had her now for three years. They are really hard to get here. oh such a cute plump little thing. I doubt she will grow any bigger. Now they would be a challenge to breed! Oh NOrthernguy thanks for the brown discus!:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
12-11-2008, 09:11 PM
The one I have on hold at the lfs is about that size.She is holding it for me until I am ready!Maybe another week.

Lorenzo, no problem!

LORENZO
12-11-2008, 11:41 PM
:goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: what are you paying for that fish??? i had to pay 20$$ and now I can't find any. But so far this little beauty is doing fine. Very healthy. :fish:

Algenco
12-12-2008, 01:59 AM
I've never heard of a bristlenose bothering fry

TazManiac
12-12-2008, 04:10 AM
I would be really surprised if the bristlenose did anything to the fry. Mine were ALWAYS completely passive.

Northernguy
12-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the replies!:22:
Lorenzo ,I believe its 14.99 for the bn.They have a smaller one as well but I just want the one.

LORENZO
12-12-2008, 11:59 AM
:13: :13: OH those bristlenoses i am putting away the funds to get one after Christmas ..i am going to take a chance on getting one young and putting her with the discus instead of the community tank. i told you about that medusa looking bristlenose in there. In my 125 comunity there is this fish and i have no idea what it is. nope. So the bristlenose cannot go in there it might get eaten. i have no algae eaters or plecs in the 125 discus. Or,,, yes i forgot ...it can go in the 75. DO THEY EAT EGGS???? But i will get one young that is how they come in you see too young. But i will take a chance.

Northernguy
12-12-2008, 03:49 PM
You have a fish in your tank and you do not know what it is!
Post some pics and get some info on it.

LORENZO
12-14-2008, 11:34 AM
ha i can't get him. nope. He comes out at night. Big he is... the last time i saw him when i took the tank apart because of too many krib babies he was oh 4 " oh yes looks like a medusa ancistrus...but he does have those feelers coming right out... just likea cat fish. Strange creature. But if and when i do manage to get him i will get a pic. HE started out small with white spots and hid in a brick. I did not know he was still in the tank until i took it apart.:fish:

mac
12-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi,
I have had one of my BN smash my Guppy fry. It is a male at 4 inches long. And very aggressive to anything that swims past him. He will chase them right away from his section of the tank, which is the whole of the tank. Even my fully grown Zebra Loaches are chased.

IMO I would not put it past the fish to eat anything that will fit into it's mouth.

mac

LORENZO
12-15-2008, 11:25 AM
:presents: Do you have a 100 gallon new tank? thumbs2: Did you also say you have zebras? Well i have clowns in one 125 and yo yo -two of them in the other 125. I have only one albino bristle nose and she i s an albino and very docile and would not dear go after a neon! i have to say in my other tank i now think the ancistrus medusa looking thing ate my pristella! oh yes they disappeared one by one. So maybe he ate them . Never heard of the bristlenose being aggressive like that. NOw if i find any bristlenoses around here I am going to have to buy them up.:fish:

mac
12-15-2008, 08:41 PM
[COLOR="Red"]:presents: Do you have a 100 gallon new tank?

It arrives in January.

Did you also say you have zebras?

Yes I do have Golden Zebra Loaches.

My Bristle Nose is a Male at 4 inches, and last night I watched him chase a SAE right around the tank at dinner time.

mac

LORENZO
12-15-2008, 11:36 PM
:fish: :fish: what..you watched a bristle nose chase a siamese algae eater around the tank... it was the true Siamese Algae eater? OH mine would never do that. Funny usually those bristles are lazy and all they want it to pick at the driftwood. That would make for a good video. Is your male bristlenose black or and albino? The albinos are hard to get but oh they are nice little fishies. They show up to. I have to get more driftwood.
:goldfish: what is going in that big tank???

Northernguy
12-15-2008, 11:38 PM
I have a choice of 2 at my lfs. She keeps them in her guppy tank with loads of fry.Everytime I try to find them they are in hiding.
Fish do act different in your own tank though!

LORENZO
12-15-2008, 11:51 PM
have you ever bred a pleco??? You got to love those fish... they have personalities and usually people think they are sooo boring... it is just the opposite. But i want a zebra... but can i justify going and ordering such a fish??? It would probably die of fright in my tank. What would you consider your special fish????

Northernguy
12-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Ozzie is my favorite!My albino O!

mac
12-16-2008, 02:54 AM
:fish: :fish: what..you watched a bristle nose chase a siamese algae eater around the tank...

Yes.

it was the true Siamese Algae eater?

Mine are all Langlie. I now have collected 7 of them.

Funny usually those bristles are lazy and all they want it to pick at the driftwood.

Mine will do that for a while then chase something if it comes to close to to him, or he want to chase. It is like he gets in a mood.

That would make for a good video.

It would. I can video it but, it is at night time. And he will only chase the SAE when it is night. But he will chase other fish when ever. I forgot to say in my first post he will Chase the very aggressive Zipper all the time.

Is your male bristlenose black or and albino?

He is a black one.

The albinos are hard to get but oh they are nice little fishies.

They are very nice, but hard to get.

what is going in that big tank???

Loaches. And Rainbow Fish, plus about 7 SAE's.

Cheers,
mac

henryscat
12-27-2008, 08:11 PM
I just added 2 Bristlenoses to my tank today. They both started by hiding under the curved driftwood i have but once they started to come out they acted like hoovers on my algae. No wonder people say there is never enough algae in a tank for them!

Great wee fish and i'm sure i'll get a whole heap more enjoyment from them in the future!

BigMac
12-28-2008, 07:45 AM
My male has begun putting on these "aggressive" displays. He opens his fins up and shakes violently side to side kicking up a cloud of sand. He does this over territory with the female in my tank.

I have never seen him be aggressive to any other fish, but he is a bit of a bully and so is my female,.when it comes to food in the tank.
I have to try to feed them apart from each other and make sure each of them gets a big wafer or the cory wont get any.