PDA

View Full Version : Red Melon 250$$$$ fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LORENZO
12-09-2008, 11:08 AM
OH i was told yesterday that my red melon is indeed now worht 250$ Can you imagine having that in your tank? And you can imagine her mate at the same size! And they are breeding. Should I get nervouse now???? oh this is good. The fishman I deal with was in yesterday and looked at the discus. HE is keen on babies.

Demjor19
12-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Very nice! Having the attached $$$ makes one much more cautious in caring for these fish. Are you expecting fry or eggs anytime soon?

I had a heater malfunction a short while back that raised the water temp to 99 degrees in my 13+ inch Black Rhoms tank. Could you imagine a $30 heater killing a $350 Piranha? It nearly made me sick! Luckily I noticed it in time to unplug the heater and let the temp gradually fall back to 80, then I replaced the heater (obviously).

I have also had a $5 Pacu nearly kill my $300 Tropical Gar! The Pacu has since been moved to a fish rescue facility near me.

Good luck with you fish!

Edit: Do you have a pic of this fish? I'd like to see him.

Northernguy
12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
I would like to see pics too!thumbs2:

Demjor,you didn't lose your big black piranha did you?

Demjor19
12-09-2008, 03:18 PM
I would like to see pics too!thumbs2:

Demjor,you didn't lose your big black piranha did you?

No...she came close though. 99 degrees fahrenheit...I did not think a fish could survive that! My AC heater malfunctioned and ran non-stop over the weekend while I was away and when I got home the thermometer read 99!!! I freaked!

Here is a picture I had taken about 2-3 hours after the heater was unplugged. I think it reads about 92-93.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

Lady Hobbs
12-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Your Discus really are beautiful fish and you have done a wonderful job with them. That coloring they have shows you're doing something right. Whatever you've been feeding them, it's worked!

Your Discus will be valuable for selling if you make sure you don't inter-breed the species and keep the spawning between like Discus.

LORENZO
12-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Very nice! Having the attached $$$ makes one much more cautious in caring for these fish. Are you expecting fry or eggs anytime soon?

I had a heater malfunction a short while back that raised the water temp to 99 degrees in my 13+ inch Black Rhoms tank. Could you imagine a $30 heater killing a $350 Piranha? It nearly made me sick! Luckily I noticed it in time to unplug the heater and let the temp gradually fall back to 80, then I replaced the heater (obviously).

I have also had a $5 Pacu nearly kill my $300 Tropical Gar! The Pacu has since been moved to a fish rescue facility near me.

Good luck with you fish!

Edit: Do you have a pic of this fish? I'd like to see him.In the gallery i posted it i will post it again now in this thread. She is spectacular looking.

BigMac
12-09-2008, 08:17 PM
WOW!

I really like Discus. I wanted to do a Discus tank when I got back into the hobby and eded up deciding against it. My water is too alkiline (sp?) and hard for them to really do well.

After checking out your photo gallery all I can say is your have very happy looking pets thumbs2:

LORENZO
12-09-2008, 08:21 PM
:goldfish: :fish: :goldfish: ohhh I busy now cleaning the breeding tank. So i am hoping very soon to put the parents together in the 75. they can stay with the babies i am hop:hmm3grin2orange: ing for three weeks. By that time they should be able to feed on brine schrimp. This is going to very interesting. i now have two females in the tank that laid eggs. The big melon has not been up to mating yet. here is a good shot of her.11826

Demjor19
12-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Very nice! I have been contemplating setting up a Discus tank too, but have been too busy. Eventually I'll get around to it.

LORENZO
12-10-2008, 01:31 AM
:ssmile: :ssmile: :goldfish: oh you got to get a discus set up. You won't be disappointed nope. They are stunning fish and the way they swim. You should get like six together that is what i did or seven actually and jsut let them mature. The colours are spectacular. 125 i would say in a minimum they have to have the room. Clever fish just like my kribs were. But beautiful creatures. just have to be clean with the water. NO overfeeding them. But the work to keep them believe me pays off. You won't go back once you keep these fish. You want to keep more. I am now going to breed them. oh i hope it works out.

Brookfish
12-10-2008, 03:43 AM
Thats a beautiful Discus mate, stunning specimen.

Nice save on the piranha Demjor!!

Northernguy
12-10-2008, 04:44 AM
Thanks Lorenzo! That is a wonderful fish!:22:

Demjor I'm glad to hear you didn't cook her ,shes also a great fish!

Demjor19
12-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Thats a beautiful Discus mate, stunning specimen.

Nice save on the piranha Demjor!!

Thanks Lorenzo! That is a wonderful fish!:22:

Demjor I'm glad to hear you didn't cook her ,shes also a great fish!

Thank you!