PDA

View Full Version : Questions about amano shrimp.

plant boy
12-09-2008, 06:50 AM
I was considering getting amano shrimp for my 60g aquarium.Right now I have in my tank the following,

3 black phantom tetras
3 long finned red minor tetras
3 cardinal tetras
3 cory catfish
2 albino anistrus plectos
3 otocinclus

One of my questions is,does any of my fish that I have listed mess with amano shrimp or kill them?Another question is,when I first get them how long do I let the bag float in my aquarium water?Do you have to add any of the aquarium water into the bag,and then let it sit for a while?

korith
12-09-2008, 07:00 AM
One of my questions is,does any of my fish that I have listed mess with amano shrimp or kill them?Another question is,when I first get them how long do I let the bag float in my aquarium water?Do you have to add any of the aquarium water into the bag,and then let it sit for a while?

Not sure about the fish if they would attack the shrimp or not. But I usually acclimate the shrimp to the tank the same way I do the fish.

Gemini
12-09-2008, 07:00 AM
You should acclimatise them the same as fish. So float for awhile and then slowly add tank water.
Anything that can fit the shrimp in its mouth may well eat it. Provide plenty of plants to increase their chances.

Dave66
12-09-2008, 07:02 AM
None of the fish you listed will bother the shrimp except possibly the Corys, since Crustaceans are part of their natural diet. And you must drip acclimate the shrimp, as they are simpler organisms, and much less adaptable to changes in pH, hardness and osmotic levels than most fish are.

Dave