PDA

View Full Version : Live earth worms?

Lady Hobbs
01-24-2007, 06:21 PM
I was thinking of getting some for my angelfish for a treat but heard they should not get earthworms unless they are getting garlic in their food. Now I've just read that silver dollars and loaches go nuts over worms so may try them. Anyone, other than oscar owners, use earthworms for treats.

AquaQueen
01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Well I know you have seem pictures of my Oscar eating the worm but, I have 2 red eye tetras that go nutso for worms, I also have two J.D's, a Turquiose Jewel and a catfish that all LOVE the worms so my oppion is try it if they don't go for them after an hour take them out...they are not interested...that is how I found out the tetras liked them I had one tiny worm and threw it in to see if anyone liked them and the two tetras went for it even broke the thing in half because they both didnt want to give it up and were trying to swim away from each other

Abbeys_Mom
01-24-2007, 09:14 PM
I gave an earthworm to my Oscar once. He wouldn't touch it. I did find out that earthworms can survive in an aquarium for several hours if the lay on an air stone.

cocoa_pleco
01-25-2007, 01:06 AM
I did find out that earthworms can survive in an aquarium for several hours if the lay on an air stone.

Hate to sound like a 8 year-old kid, but SUPER COOL

AquaQueen
01-25-2007, 01:47 AM
what a lucky lil worm smart too!!

crackatinny
01-25-2007, 02:13 AM
I tried them with my dollars, angel, clown loaches, and they just ignored it, oscar and convicts love them.

Lady Hobbs
01-25-2007, 06:25 AM
I was concerned with angels eating them due to their sensititivity to some things. Wouldn't want them to get internal parasites or something like that. I will try them and see how it goes. I know the loaches will go nuts over them. They eat any fish that dies within a few hours, bones and all.

Fishguy2727
01-25-2007, 12:50 PM
There are some great foods out there that will really help them thrive, but I would not consider worms or any live food to be one of them.

Lady Hobbs
01-25-2007, 04:00 PM
OK. It was just a thought but not worth the worry.

Fishguy2727
01-25-2007, 07:29 PM
I had great growth and color improvement in the angels I had for a few weeks (changed my mind and am going with mbunas) with just New Life Spectrum All Purpose Formula.