PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing Floss for Cycle

Corndawg
12-09-2008, 01:02 AM
I have a 5gal I am currently trying to cycle. My 10gal has a whisper hob that has the media plus a white floss looking pad. If I put that pad into my 5gal, will it help it cycle? As the 10gal is completely cycled. One more question would be will the 5gal with just a Whisper 3gal internal filter that just has media, no floss or sponge, hold the cycle well? or does it need more for the bacteria to grow? Thanks for any help! :]

OscarFan
12-09-2008, 01:04 AM
First off by adding the filter pad from the 10 gal to the 5 if u were to imediatly add fish it would be able to hod the cycle and in this way "instantly cycle your tank.
Next by media do you mean carbon. If s that will not hold a cycle and u should use a pad of some sort...

Corndawg
12-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Yes the 3gal whisper filter only has a carbon media pad. Is this a bad thing while trying to establish a cycle?

OscarFan
12-09-2008, 01:07 AM
If their is a cloth like thing holding the carbon in place then it is fine.

Corndawg
12-09-2008, 01:11 AM
yes, its basically a plastic frame filled with carbon, and cloth on both sides. Just the kind you can take out and replace. So Im assuming if I leave the floss in the 5gal filter overnight, and put it back in 10gal in morning, both tanks will be fine?

bushwhacker
12-09-2008, 01:50 AM
leave the floss in the 5 gal for a week at least

Corndawg
12-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Ok. Will this effect the bacteria in the 10gal? Or should it be ok without the floss in its filter.

Wild Turkey
12-09-2008, 03:15 AM
What i would do is take that floss, put it into the 5 gal filter and remove the carbon, add some more media to it as well. Add fish the same day, after two weeks return it to the ten gal and and a little more media to fill it the rest of the way. Carbon is not needed.

Monitor levels closely after all those switches, in both tanks.