PDA

View Full Version : Mixing frontosas and tropheus

john33
12-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi there, was wondering if somebody could help me. Firstly, I have seen photos of frontosas and duboisis together in the same tank. What exactly would one feed them because I know they have completely different dietry requirements? Secondly, can frontosas be kept with any of the tropheus species? Finally, what size tank would be ideal and how many fish should be kept together?

kaybee
12-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Frontosa's do best in groups of four or more, so a 125gal tank minimum.

Tropheus are fairly aggressive but perhaps geared more toward their own kind so the combo might work (with that said, frontosas may do best in more tranquil settings, and since you need lots of tropheus to prevent them from wiping each other out, the proposed tank may be too hectic for the fronts).

A happy medium as far as food goes would be something like New Life Spectrum pellets. The tropheus' will likely outcompete the frontosa's during feeding time.

While you're interested in keeping both fronts and tropheus, both species are perhaps best suited in species tanks. In the examples you've seen of tropheus/frontosa tanks, how long were they successfully running and how large were the frontosas (any fish under 4" is never completely safe from ending up in a full grown frontosa's stomach).

Crispy
12-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi there, was wondering if somebody could help me. Firstly, I have seen photos of frontosas and duboisis together in the same tank. What exactly would one feed them because I know they have completely different dietry requirements? Secondly, can frontosas be kept with any of the tropheus species? Finally, what size tank would be ideal and how many fish should be kept together?

Big tank for frontosas... 125g at least. You're fronts will thank you. As for what to put with them, you should avoid anything thats aggressive, as fronts are fairly peaceful and shy. Calvus are good tank mates... I have eartheaters in with mine (my tank is south american/tanganyika mix) and all the fish get along great. Never a nipped fin!! Even when breeding!!