01-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I bought a 20 gallon for a Crayfish.

I have a few Question.

food I currently have

Tetra Pellets
Gold Fish Pellets
Brime Shrimp Flakes
Frozen Brime Shrimp

I was wondering is it enough food to feed this stuff to a Crayfish?

Also will he eat this?

I read some of you feed yoour Cray alge Tablets. Is that good Enought or do you recomand something else?

cocoa_pleco
01-24-2007, 10:41 PM
My crayfish was a scavenger. THrow some flakes and bloodworm, and maybe live brineshrimp if you have some.HE should just work his claws in the gravel and snatch tidbits.
I did feed algae wafers, but this is not sufficient enough diet, as he needs meat for protein etc.
SO, flakes, bloodworm, and if you have brineshrimp.
Also, feeder guppies are a possibility. Mine even snatched crickets.

Wallyfish
01-25-2007, 05:10 AM
I think crayfish will eat just about anything.

freshwaterfishlover
01-31-2007, 03:31 PM
I bought my Crayfish yesterday. The store had Dwarf brown Crayfish and Blue Knight Crayfish. I asked the store what was the name of the Crayfish I bought they had no idea. I was hopping it was a Blue Hammer Crayfish that grow only 5", but after looking on line I am sure it is a Knight Lobster that can grown a foot. I was hopping I did not need another tank. When it gets bigger I will need to buy another tank.

The Dwarf Brown ones cost $2.99

Blue Knight Crayfish $24.99

oldstudent9
10-06-2007, 02:45 AM
I have a blue crayfish I bought when he was about an inch long. He is now about 7" and will eat almost anything. His favorite thing to eat is nightcrawlers. I feed him shrimp pellets, flake food, algae wafers, dried shrimp & krill. He also spends about 2 days eating his own shell after he sheds. The only part he does not finish is the tips of his claws. He comes to be fed when I tap on the glass. So far I haven't found anything he won't eat. I can't keep live plants with him since he digs them up and eats the roots. One thing to watch is that mine is an escape artist. He climbs the filter tube & tries to get out of the tank.

squirt_12
10-06-2007, 02:50 AM
I have a blue crayfish I bought when he was about an inch long. He is now about 7" and will eat almost anything. His favorite thing to eat is nightcrawlers. I feed him shrimp pellets, flake food, algae wafers, dried shrimp & krill. He also spends about 2 days eating his own shell after he sheds. The only part he does not finish is the tips of his claws. He comes to be fed when I tap on the glass. So far I haven't found anything he won't eat. I can't keep live plants with him since he digs them up and eats the roots. One thing to watch is that mine is an escape artist. He climbs the filter tube & tries to get out of the tank.
that happened with mine and there was a little hole in the top of the tnak so he got out and i found him walking around in the kitchen the next morning...he lived....lol.

kimmers318
10-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I just recently bought a dozen crayfish for feeding my puffers and have found that they absolutely love old salad and everything that was in it, except the cherry tomato! There was red and green bell pepper, chicken breast, cukes, mushrooms, chicken and the lettuce. They went insane when I put it in there grabbing pieces and chowing down.

squirt_12
10-06-2007, 12:55 PM
I just recently bought a dozen crayfish for feeding my puffers and have found that they absolutely love old salad and everything that was in it, except the cherry tomato! There was red and green bell pepper, chicken breast, cukes, mushrooms, chicken and the lettuce. They went insane when I put it in there grabbing pieces and chowing down.
Want to know what you should do?? YOu should get a male and a female and breed them so you don't always have to buy them.....that would be a good idea...

Gibzy
04-04-2011, 11:17 AM
last week i got a lobster from the pet shop which i think is a blue knight lobster 1.5", today i have noticed that he has changed his shell i dont know if i have to remove it from the aquarium or leave it so he eats it?

i got goldfish in the same aquarium i feed them TetraFin the guy at the pet shop told me that i dnt need to get him any extra food since he will feed on the remains of those TetraFin, Please advice :)

Mac Myers
04-19-2011, 02:43 PM
If you are strictly looking for food then get a few Marbled Crays.

Mac Myers
04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Leave the Shell in. He'll eat it to reclaim needed minerals.