PDA

View Full Version : spotted puffer semi agresive or mean

mightymike59
12-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I have 2 spotted puffers in tank with tiger barbs and cherry barbs and algea eaters which are quick. Now i already had to remove banjo catfish to another one of my tanks because the puffers would not leave him alone . I find them now chasing and trying to sneak up on the barbs should i remove them from this tank or will the barbs be able to keep ahead of them

terrapin24h
12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
I could be wrong, but i thought puffers were classified as predatorial fish. Iow, even the toughest barb don't stand a chance. I've been reading up on dwarfs for the last few months, and as a result stumble through the occasional non dwarf articles. Even in the saltwater world, there are very few fish that seem to be totally safe. You might want to have your post moved to one of the other forums on the site that deals with this kind of thing, that's where the experts are, generally. Good luck

--chris

kaybee
12-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Green spotted puffers aren't suited for community set ups. Additionally as they mature you'll be hard pressed to keep multiple green spotted puffers in the same tank.

How large is your tank?

Nobodynotime
12-08-2008, 11:14 PM
I've never had a problem with mine he just flutters around my 55 gal as happy as can be...he's in with several other types of fish including 2 large tiger barbs, cherry barb and a striped raphael cat that is always in hiding so the puffer would have a hard time getting at him anyways. My only complaint is how much he eats, the little piggy would eat himself to death if he had the chance!

kaybee
12-08-2008, 11:43 PM
How big is the puffer?

Nobodynotime
12-08-2008, 11:45 PM
How big is the puffer?
Mmmm I'd say a little more than 3 inches long not including his little fins. Not sure how big they top out at but so far hes been a charmer.

kaybee
12-08-2008, 11:52 PM
They max out at twice that size.

Fishalicious
12-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Green Spotted Puffers are born in freshwater and migrate up to brackish to nearly full blown saltwater. They should be kept in brackish starting pretty young and then slowly raising it over the months/ year.

They are not community fish but fish personalities can vary... they can though if the mood takes them take most of your other fish down with ease and in a painful way.

Multiple spotted puffers are also not really a good idea... they are pretty territorial and as they age will not tolerate their own.

Wild Turkey
12-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Ive always heard they should be in their own tank as well. But of course there are always exceptions.

Edit: there ya go Jess has the info ^^

Nobodynotime
12-09-2008, 12:12 AM
They are not community fish but fish personalities can vary... they can though if the mood takes them take most of your other fish down with ease and in a painful way.

Yeah I can imagine...when I drop a couple bloodworm cubes in there he'll take a huge chomp out of it, while its still frozen!

terrapin24h
12-09-2008, 03:29 AM
Yeah I can imagine...when I drop a couple bloodworm cubes in there he'll take a huge chomp out of it, while its still frozen!

drop some snails in there and watch what happens. You'll rapidly be acquainted with the ferocity of the puffer. pound for pound, i'd put them in the top 10 for the most aggressive commonly available fish. I have a friend that used to tell a story about a cat that learned the hardway not to stick your paw in the tank. There was no blood, but the cat limped for a day. I love that about puffers, which is why i want to keep a couple in a 10 gal. we'll see though.

--chris

Northernguy
12-09-2008, 04:41 AM
This interesting read has all kinds of good stuff about your fish.It may help!http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/puffers-in-focus/an-introduction-to-green-spotted-puffers/

cer
12-09-2008, 11:59 PM
The puffer will murder the barbs.