PDA

View Full Version : 75 Gallon Mbuna Stocking List

KneeKickLou
01-24-2007, 04:28 PM
I've decided against the JDs for now at least becuase my LFS has a sale on there 75gal tanks so I was thinking of setting up a Mbuna tank and just wanted to run my stocking list by you guys.

5-6 Yellow Labs
5-6 Acei
5-6 Cynotilapia afra
4-5 Red Zebra or 4-5 Cobalt Zebra
(someone told me that Labs and Red Zebras will potentially crossbread)

What do you guys think. I plan on having black sand on black background with pale grey rocks to make the colors of the fish really come out. Any suggestions and/or comments welcome. I plan to run at least 2 Eheim 2213's and eventually add a wet/dry filter.

Glasstapper
01-24-2007, 05:08 PM
wow, sounds like that tank is going to popping with color especially since you're doing a dark environment. I don't know much about mbunas, so I can't help much with your stock.

I would love to see some pictures once you're all set up!

Cichlid_Man
01-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Yes,
Labs and Red Zebras will cross-breed, I have heard a lot of that.

Sounds like an awesome choice of fish, but maybe a bit over-stocked?
Be ready for some heavy water changes. You won't have much aggression with over-stocking either.
I keep 14 Mbuna in a 75 gallon, but I think you will be fine.
I am thinking of adding several more Labs!

KneeKickLou
01-24-2007, 05:51 PM
hey Cichlid_Man will I have problems with the Cobalts and the Labs, or just the Red Zebras??

KneeKickLou
01-24-2007, 05:57 PM
wow, sounds like that tank is going to popping with color especially since you're doing a dark environment. I don't know much about mbunas, so I can't help much with your stock.

I would love to see some pictures once you're all set up!

Yeah I'm hoping that I can get the tank soon I'm just waiting to get my money from winning my fantasy football leauge :) It'll be sometime before I get anything in it. I still gotta figure out how im going to aquascape it and get my under gravel jets built (ill let you guys know how those work out too). I'm really excided though I've wanted a Mbuna tank every since I started.

Cichlid_Man
01-24-2007, 07:25 PM
You should be fine.
cobalts will go nicely with Labs.
I don't see anything on your list that raises any red flags..

Good luck!

f1oored
01-25-2007, 05:29 AM
The fish choice seems fine but I would back down the stocking a little. 19-23 fish might be a little much for a 75 when they are full grown. I think 16 might be a better number but this is up to you.

I would also strongly consider crushed coral as a substrate. This will help buffer the water. I really wish I would have done this when I started my big tank. I just started a fry tank with crushed coral and texas holey rock (and I have to say it looks pretty damn good). I'll post a picture tomorrow. Holey rock will probably be out of the question for a 75 but it's an idea.

KneeKickLou
01-25-2007, 05:33 PM
I know that the sand will not buffer the PH but what I was planning on was putting crushed coral into mesh bags and sticking those in one of my two canisters as a buffer/bacteria host. I just really love the look of the black sand and the way the fish stand out agaist it. Now I just have to go give up my arm and leg for it :). We'll see if the LFS will cut me a deal if I buy it with my tank. Here to hopeing

Fishguy2727
01-25-2007, 07:26 PM
That canister space is too valuable as biological media in a high stocked tank since there are very effective buffers out there that will get your pH right to 8.2 and hold it steady. I would go with the buffers over crushed coral.

f1oored
01-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Check some landscaping places for your rocks. Here in Ohio you should be able to find grey slate or grey cobbles for a few cents a pound.

I use crushed coral in mesh bags in my setup and it doesn't buffer the water very much (just an FYI). If you want the black sand you should go for it. It will probably look really great. If your water is anything like here in Columbus you are probably already fairly basic and hard. Good luck and post pictures once you start.

KneeKickLou
01-25-2007, 08:25 PM
That canister space is too valuable as biological media in a high stocked tank since there are very effective buffers out there that will get your pH right to 8.2 and hold it steady. I would go with the buffers over crushed coral.
Can you recommend a good brand of this product???

f1oored
01-26-2007, 12:05 AM
There are premade buffers that you can try. Google "Malawi buffer" "cichlid buffer" or "cichlid salt". Many people also make there own buffer using salt, epsom salt, and baking soda. This is probably going to be the cheapest way to do things. I believe seachem makes a good malawi buffer also.

Fishguy2727
01-26-2007, 03:02 AM
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc. has a line of buffers called Proper pH. They are very good at bringing the pH to a specific point (the line includes 6.5, 7.0, 7.5, and 8.2, you will want the 8.2). I use that and Seachem's Cichlid Lake Salt.