PDA

View Full Version : The infamous betta bulbs

betta_Mike
12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey all, recently bought something from petco labeled as Betta bulbs that came in a pack of three. I don't have a special tank for growing plants b/c my dorm has limited space. I currently have them wrapped in a paper towel in a cup with water and plant food under my desk lamp. Is there anyway they will sprout under these conditions?!

smaug
12-07-2008, 10:46 PM
If they have a chance at sprouting the best way to start them out is in a jar full of water sitting on a sunny windowsill.The plant food is unnecessary,the bulbs [if there viable]have the nutrients they need to sprout stored already.Out of the 20 walmart/petco type bulbs I have tried I had 3 actually sprout and only 2 thrive.Good luck.

betta_Mike
12-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Hmmm those odds are a little discouraging, but thanks for the advise. I'll do my best and if just one of them sprouts I'll be happy. Thanks again :D

lovleeko
12-08-2008, 12:04 AM
I just stuck mine in a cup with water in a window. It is my first time using them too though so I can't say much about them yet. Good luck. I'll let you know. Let me know how yours do.

betta_Mike
12-08-2008, 12:55 AM
I just stuck mine in a cup with water in a window. It is my first time using them too though so I can't say much about them yet. Good luck. I'll let you know. Let me know how yours do.

OK sounds cool! I'll keep you posted :D

betta_Mike
12-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Welp, I've almost had these little guys in a cup of water under sunlight for a week. 2 of them started to rot or growing some white fungus so I pitched them. I have fingers crossed for the last one though and hope to see some results!! :D

Wild Turkey
12-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Ive never heard anything good about these either.

An airstone may help prevent mold, keep it low though.

Anyone have a pic of one thats grown?

lovleeko
12-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I have been reading about live plants for uncycled betta tanks and today I bought some java fern and java moss for mine. Wow!!! It looks great. I am so excited about it. I hope they do well. One of my betta bulbs have started to sprout too. So I guess if they turn out I'll have all kinds of options for my tanks. :19:

betta_Mike
12-10-2008, 12:11 AM
yeah i was leaning towards some java fern myself. I saw the thread in the DIY section for the moss wall today and it looked awesome!! I'll wait to see how my last bulb does though I'll have to try out that air stone idea to make sure I don't lose my last bulb before it decides if/when it will sprout. Thanks for input guys :D

DrNic
12-13-2008, 03:59 AM
The best way to germinate those bulbs is usually a cup of water in a window or near a bright light. I do this with these bulbs, because it also makes it easy to pick out the bulbs that didn't grow, and return them for good ones (most packs will give instructions on the back for replacements, you should always get what you pay for). Although there are different brands on the market most of the time betta bulbs are various apon species in case you were wondering.

betta_Mike
12-13-2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the info dude. Sadly i already through 2/3 away, however the third one seems promising. I have it in water under sunlight now and it seems to be doing fine. Can't wait for it to sprout to see what type it is!!!I didn't bother saving the duds because after paying less than 3 $ for three paying for postage doesn't seem worth it. I only have room in my tank for one anyways. Can't wait for it to grow!!!

Shawn5200
09-10-2016, 11:54 PM
Ive never heard anything good about these either.

An airstone may help prevent mold, keep it low though.

Anyone have a pic of one thats grown?

This is about a week in the water