PDA

View Full Version : dicus farmed as hardy as other cichlids?????

LORENZO
12-07-2008, 08:09 PM
So much for wild discus i would never find one here. imagine if you had a Heckel discus???? it would be like having an altum angel. But are these farmed -tank raised discus stronger now more hardy more disease resistant??? The hobby is still making the discus fish out to be a very delicate fish needed specialized care. IT took me a few years before i would try any.

Ryuu
12-07-2008, 08:11 PM
They still need specialized care right?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Yes they are much hardier then their wild caught cousins. The Discus being bred today are capable of handling higher pH values and even handling a diet that the wild ones cannot. The captive bred discus are also slightly more tolerant of less than perfect water conditions as well. The exception to the water conditions seems to be the juveniles. Juvenile Discus still need very high water quality in order to grow to their maximum size. Juvi Discus that do not get the proper water changes will be stunted and probably max out at 5" in length, that's just slightly better than half their maximum potential.

Fishguy2727
12-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Yes, except for the really high end ones. It really depends on the care they were raised in. If they are bred by a breeder who keeps super high water quality, that is what they will need. If they are bred in mass on farms and go through wholesalers and LFSs they will not be in that type of water quality and the ones that make it to the LFS and settle in will be the hardiest.

Ryuu
12-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Really!? Hmm, ugh MTS...

LORENZO
12-07-2008, 11:59 PM
What is their maximum potential. I can't get an answer on that. I am hoping my red melon(in photo gallery) is not going to get any bigger. I would say she is five inches now. I will keep that in mind. i was rreading that in the wattley book. 11809 the Young ones need the best of care. Soo i am going to havv to do alot of water testing and water changing. Keep the food in a bowl for the babies. Keep it all clean. I will have to be compulsively clean! 11810