PDA

View Full Version : garlic to prevent disease in discus???

LORENZO
12-07-2008, 07:17 PM
:goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: Garlic in discus food. Is this a myth or not that if you feed the discus some garlic it will prevent disease or certain diseases. These fish are not particularly disease ridden i am just wondering is this a preventative treatment?? Or is this a myth?

Ryuu
12-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Ive never heard of it, however I do know that garlic helps to get rid of and prevent parasites, as well as make the food more yummy for the fish. It may have a few more good things to go along with it, as for what I'm not sure of.

cocoa_pleco
12-07-2008, 07:37 PM
you can feed it every once in a while to prevent internal parasites

LORENZO
12-07-2008, 07:52 PM
:goldfish: :fish: :goldfish: :fish: now how do you apply it do i get the liquid stuff or just crush it up...squeeze the juice out of it and put it with the bloodworms? So maybe this is not a bad idea once in awhile.

Ryuu
12-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Buy whole garlic, take a clove and crush it, then soak what ever your going to feed the fish in the juice.

LORENZO
12-07-2008, 08:07 PM
so once a month now i shoudl do this as a precaution. why not.

Ryuu
12-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Why not, it doesnt hurt, especially when adding new fish!

Northernguy
12-07-2008, 08:10 PM
:goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: Garlic in discus food. Is this a myth or not that if you feed the discus some garlic it will prevent disease or certain diseases. These fish are not particularly disease ridden i am just wondering is this a preventative treatment?? Or is this a myth?
Internal parasites cannot eat garlic so by feeding them garlic you will starve them to death.I use a little crushed garlic and mix it with pellets or flake food.
I feed all my new fish garlic for up to 3wks straight to make sure they are clean.I am not sure if feeeding it once in a while will do the job.
Do not use too much or you will make your tank smell like garlic.

Wild Turkey
12-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Recently ive come around to this practice, i think its a good one.
One of very few "real" easy precautionary measures that actually work with no possible ill effects.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Actually, it's not a matter of using the garlic oils to soak food in. The garlic itself if what is helpful. Fresh garlic cloves sink, not so fresh garlic cloves float. You simply dice the garlic very finely and feed it directly to the fish. Internal parasites will not feed on the garlic and thus will flush out of the fish, the garlic in turn nourishes the fish.

Sharon
12-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Garlic also boosts the immune system...thumbs2:

Fishguy2727
12-07-2008, 11:32 PM
It doesn't boost their immune system or simply starve out the parasites (you can't starve them out if you are still feeding the normal food). The active component in garlic actually prevents certain enzyme reactions in parasites and does actively kill them. This is effective on internal and external parasites of certain types. There are at least two foods that have garlic in them, at least on has enough to actually use in place of fresh garlic, New Life Spectrum's Thera+A foods.

LORENZO
12-07-2008, 11:34 PM
That clears things up! Garlic in The New Life Specturm very good. Thera food i will remember that. thanks.

Sharon
12-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Garlic the primary active agent in garlic is allicin, and it is a well known antioxidant. Garlic also helps to fight pathogens, making it excellent for combating infections and viruses.

This refers to the human system, but I have found that with many animals and fish, the same rules apply...

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-08-2008, 02:16 AM
It doesn't... simply starve out the parasites (you can't starve them out if you are still feeding the normal food).

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I was not suggesting feeding Garlic in addition to regular food, I was suggesting feeding just the garlic to the fish. That does in fact starve out the parasites.

Fishguy2727
12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
I think someone else posted to do it in addition to the normal food, and most people do it that wat. In fact the allicin in garlic does inhibit certain enzymatic activity, so you don't need to feed just garlic, it is not just an immune system booster, it does actively kill the parasites. Just add garlic to the diet or switch to a food that already has garlic in it and that is all you need to do.

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Actually, it's not a matter of using the garlic oils to soak food in. The garlic itself if what is helpful. Fresh garlic cloves sink, not so fresh garlic cloves float. You simply dice the garlic very finely and feed it directly to the fish. Internal parasites will not feed on the garlic and thus will flush out of the fish, the garlic in turn nourishes the fish.

Great idea.
I dab a bit of garlic juice on their food but tossing it in the tank and having it float sounds great.

abaigael04
12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
My fish won't touch garlic but eat food soaked in garlic juice.. Isn't there a primer on garlic... I think you have to feed it for so long to have it 'work'?

Fishguy2727
12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Yes, it is not just a one or two time treatment. It generally takes weeks or more, many simply feed it all the time to avoid all sorts of problems.

Gemstone
12-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I am chipping in my two cents worth here..but not only is garlic great for fish..adding it to your dog or cat's diet deters fleas and is also great for them...the animals I mean..not..the fleas...:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
12-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I am chipping in my two cents worth here..but not only is garlic great for fish..adding it to your dog or cat's diet deters fleas and is also great for them...the animals I mean..not..the fleas...:hmm3grin2orange:

What about DOG BREATH!:ssuprised: Won't the garlic make it toxic? lol:help:

LORENZO
12-10-2008, 11:48 AM
i ordered yesterday... some NLS that will have garlic in it!!!! STocking up on food now for christmas. I will let you all know how this NLSpectrum food works on the discus. I am going to keep their diet very mixed though. Can't wait for the sinking colour bits.