PDA

View Full Version : closing down a pond

sueshewoman
12-07-2008, 01:28 PM
hello all.
i have a small pond in my garden but unitill early this year never had fish in it i now have 6 goldfish in there i have 2 water falls going & an air stone ,
my question is do i turn all 3 off over winter or leave them running as i know that you must keep it ice free also do i stop feeding fish & when do i restart
food & pumps they are only little waterfall pumps i clean them every week but it very cold putting hands in there now if i keep them going would i be harming fish waking them every time i clean over the winter . thanks for any & all advice with this 1 .SUE:help:

smaug
12-07-2008, 02:42 PM
The best way to set up a pond for winter time is to remove all water features except for 1 water moving pump.Have that pump set up on a block under the water about 6 inches or so ,have the outlet pointing toward the surface to create a good surface bulging disturbance that will keep most ice from forming in that small area.The idea is to keep an air exchange hole through the ice and do it in such a way as to not disturb the lower [slightly warmer] section of water,that is where the fish will congregate.If your pond does freeze over totally ,do not break the ice with any sort of chipping or concussion as that will stun and ultimately kill your fish.Instead boil a large pot of water and slowly pour it onto the area above the pump this will safely open the ice without damage to your fish.As for waking them up during the winter,they are not really sleeping but are in a state of drastically reduced metabolism and need no food and very little oxygen,they cant be awakened.Make sure you have removed any detritus such as dead leaves and other matter that will rot and create toxins then cover the pond with fine mesh to keep further junk from your pond,this will also protect them from predators while they are in there much reduced state of readiness.Good luck.

sueshewoman
12-07-2008, 06:56 PM
thanks i have now taken out air pump & 1 pump i have the 1 pump as you said . do i take out pots that have plants in them too ,they havent died off totaly i also have a barlystraw bunndle do i leave that in too.SUE

smaug
12-07-2008, 10:33 PM
If they are hardy lilys leave them in the pots under water,other types of potted outdoor aquatic plants I have little experiance with.The barley straw should be removed as its use is over for the winter and its affects will not last till spring.