PDA

View Full Version : Peacock Mantis Shrimp

Mustang Boy
12-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Well my LFS is moving to another part of the state this thursday and everything in their store is 25% off right now including this small already setup salt tank that with the 25% off is ~$60 and it comes with the tank filter sand fake decorations a little bit of plant and a peacock mantis shrimp and i am strongly thinking about snagging it before somebody else does now my questions are

How do i care for this guy?
Are they reef safe?
Can any fish or other inverts be housed with them?
Any other info yall wanna give feel free too

cocoa_pleco
12-07-2008, 02:02 AM
for the most part they are reef safe, most inverts will be killed, but fast fish can be alright. the only care he needs is clean water, and a cave to live in

Mustang Boy
12-07-2008, 02:05 AM
well he is in one of those 6g cubes with the filter in the hood and all and once i add live rock what kind of fish could i put with him that could outrun him cause all the videos i just saw of these guys they are pretty damn fast when it comes to chasing down food

and also what do they eat

cocoa_pleco
12-07-2008, 02:17 AM
they eat inverts, and some will take frozen food

in that size tank, i wouldnt trust him with any fish. something above 20g damsels are worth a try. if you keep him well fed in the 6g, you could try a yellow tail damsel, but no guarantees it will live

Mustang Boy
12-07-2008, 02:49 AM
thanks for the help when i got to get it tomorrow ill get some ghost shrimp(salt water ones from what my LFS said was in the tank) so he has something to feast one once it gets home

and i will probably get some live rubble while im at it and maybe a couple larger pieces of live rock later on this week

and i hate to ask you more questions but what would be some good corals to put in there with him once he is settled in and everything is running good

cocoa_pleco
12-07-2008, 02:54 AM
never heard of saltwater ghost shrimp, dont think there is such a thing

what kind of lighting does the tank have? i would start out with some zoas, mushrooms, and pulsing xenia

Mustang Boy
12-07-2008, 03:09 AM
i wanna say it was one of these tanks

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+3857&pcatid=3857

so whatever bulb they come with is what i guess is in there but i could upgrade it to whatever i need to when the time comes

unleashed
12-07-2008, 04:22 AM
I would personally keep a peacock mantis in no less than 15g. These guys get pretty big and they can/will smash the glass of a small 6g

cocoa_pleco
12-07-2008, 04:48 AM
i thought it was a nanocube, if its a eclipse i would only try mushrooms for corals

Mustang Boy
12-07-2008, 04:53 AM
it may be a nano cube now that i went back and looked at them but ill know for sure tomorrow morning when i go to get it and when i get home with it and all set up ill post up what it is exactly

cocoa_pleco
12-07-2008, 05:12 AM
good call, cause JBJ makes a 6g nano cube

http://www.f3images.com/IMD/250/JB7111/JB7111_99.jpg

Mustang Boy
12-07-2008, 05:46 PM
alrite i just got back from the store and it is an eclipse 6 gallon tank but i didnt get it yet cause when i got there the door was open and nobody was there and when i entered the alarm went off so i waited around for the cops to show up to tell them what happened then i waited around till noon and nobody showed up so i left a note on the door telling them to call me when they got there

cocoa_pleco
12-07-2008, 06:37 PM
lol that sucks

fins_n_fur
12-07-2008, 06:46 PM
What a weird experience that must have been LOL Good thing for the shop owners that you are honest!

Mustang Boy
12-08-2008, 02:45 AM
yea i know it was definitely a different experience and when i came in later to get the tank the owner was there and was happy that i was the one that set the alarm off and not someone earlier cause the store had been open all night

Mustang Boy
12-08-2008, 04:06 PM
back to the original subject

The tank is now home and has been up and running all night. I have added about 4lbs of live rock(mostly good sized rubble) and the peacock mantis seems to love his home with all the live rock to hide in and around

and in a few weeks ill go look for other LFS that have some good looking live rock to add to the tank to aid in the filtering