PDA

View Full Version : parrot fish what tank mates.

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 08:34 PM
:goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: can a parrot live with two others in a 20 gallon. Beautiful fish. I saw Lady HObbs parrot fish. i did not know what they were. They sell for 25 here not bad. oh beautiful white one. Can they live together ... say well two of them ? What is the ph for them high..like a 7.8 ????? mY water parameters might not let me have them. What kind of behaviour can you expect from these?

cocoa_pleco
12-06-2008, 08:47 PM
nope, IMO parrots should have at least a 55g

Lady Hobbs
12-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Like most fish, they will adapt to the pH of your water. I love my parrots! They have had tetra's, gourami's, platies, silver dollars, etc,
in the tank with them with no problems but I would not even try neons. They were great with the firemouth babies I tossed in with them except I put the babies in there hoping they'd get eaten. They didn't. They do not like my adult firemouths but had they been raised together they would be fine, I think. They do not like my featherfins, tho, but are great with my clown loaches and corys.

They spawn on a log about once a month but I just remove the log and brush off the eggs. They get aggressive some when eggs are in the tank.......go after my hand, etc......but with the eggs gone mellow out again. The male is infertile so you will have no living spawn. (Good for population control)

They are slow, easy going swimmers and don't thrash around the tank. I have never heard of a white parrot, however. Nearly all are an orange, burnt orange and some have black markings but never white. Don't buy any that have been dyed yellow, green, blue and those stupid colors! sheesh

They average 6-8 inches. Some have gotten larger but not on average. No 20 gallon for them!

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 10:47 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: ohhhhhhh 6 to 8 inches oooohhhhhhhh well i guess they need another huge tank. Where can us fish nutters find the room. CAn you get a red one? they were with chichlids today in the store that is why i thought they would have to go in alone with other cichlids. So you could put them with angels gouramis and siamese and plecs and clowns.... Did you say they would go after your hands if you were to remove their eggs?

Lady Hobbs
12-07-2008, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't put them with angels. I have seen them together but I wouldn't personally and think there would be aggression issues. There is a naturally brighter red parrot called Purples......which are not purple but red. Go figure! They are supposed to go fine with severums, too, and probably smaller cichlids. But I found no community fish they didn't get along with.

They're a cichlid and defend their eggs. No different than an angel does. They don't tear your fingers off to the bone. LOL

http://www.geocities.com/parrotcichlid/general.html

Northernguy
12-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Lorenzo! Here is a pic of a football sized parrot.Biggest one I have ever seen.My lfs lady raises all kinds of them and she has never seen one as large as this one had gotten.

LORENZO
12-07-2008, 07:10 PM
:goldfish: :fish: :goldfish: You got to love those parrot fish. They are sooo cute! i just have to have one. but ohhh they look big. They could fit with mine but i don't know overcrowding would not be good. ha maybe if the dicus don't breed. Did i tell you i have another female breeding in the discus tank. Purples...... so the RED is CALLED purples!!!!!!!