PDA

View Full Version : zebra plec ? where to get ? ? $$$$$

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 12:17 PM
i have to get my hands on a fish like this. I saw the gold nugget the other day. nope i would like a zebra bar far the most stunning plec out there next to the nice sailfin plecs. How big does a zebra get. i am going in search today when i get some plants.

William
12-06-2008, 12:21 PM
You can read a lot of info on Zebra plecos here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/zebra.php)

They are suaully very hard to geta hold of and the best way is usually to contact a breeder. The breeders usually have a que and you might have to wait 6 month or so before your order is filled.

William
12-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Btw I see you will likely makethe bronze activity award level today. Don't forget to request it so that you recieve it tomorrow.

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 12:28 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]:fish: A medal??? How does one request that? Did you look at the pic of my red melon in the member gallery? I want to know about the coloration of that fish? Is it what they call a true red melon or a mix? I want to breed it eventually. Right now i have A blue diamond and a turquoise that are breeding. Today i set up a 75 gallon breeding tank for them. Thanks for the help with the Zebra. But i am reading that they are finicky eaters and hide. Can't they live together in groups? But i only want one. I have no idea what they cost here. Perhaps 75$. I do not know of a breeder but the fishmann i usually deal with might bring one in. ARe they extremely shy if kept with peaceful fish? I have also heard they can be not always but they can be nasty!

William
12-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I would expect that you have to pay 250-500$ but you might get lucky.

I do not feelcompetent enough to identify yor discus strain so I will leave that question to someone else.

Regarding how to request the award. Please see my answer in the other thread.

Lady Hobbs
12-06-2008, 06:27 PM
[color="Blue"]:fish: A medal??? How does one request that? Did you look at the pic of my red melon in the member gallery? I want to know about the coloration of that fish? Is it what they call a true red melon or a mix? I want to breed it eventually. Right now i have A blue diamond and a turquoise that are breeding. Today i set up a 75 gallon breeding tank for them. Thanks for the help with the Zebra. But i am reading that they are finicky eaters and hide. Can't they live together in groups? But i only want one. I have no idea what they cost here. Perhaps 75$. I do not know of a breeder but the fishmann i usually deal with might bring one in. ARe they extremely shy if kept with peaceful fish? I have also heard they can be not always but they can be nasty!

Lorenzo......Click on Awards/Medals forum........scroll down to Bronze Activity where it says 250 posts (make sure you get the right one) and then click on REQUEST alongside of it. And then be patient as William will give you award on the day for handing them out. It does not happen that moment.

What you should do is R. click on your pictures in the gallery, check "save picture as" and save it to a file on your desktop or in your picture file. That way we can see your photos without having to go in search in the gallery albums all the time.

Like this: Love that black tail.

Algenco
12-06-2008, 07:42 PM
got a ton of money? 4m/8F wild caught $8400

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishp&1229132382

William
12-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I really need to try to get some to breed. A fish that realy could be consider an investment. A failed one if I can't get them to breed but....

Algenco
12-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I really need to try to get some to breed. A fish that realy could be consider an investment. A failed one if I can't get them to breed but....

That guy is in Germany, shipping would be a lot less to you.
Put me on the list for some F1

smaug
12-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I googled zebra plecs to help you look for one and I stumbled upon this thread on another forum.Dang,these people are serious!
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=148078

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 08:37 PM
No luck can't find one here. Christmas time i do not dare order in a fish. IT might be possible though the fish dealer sees no problem but i could end up paying 8o$ hmmm exotic creature. i have driftwood i would get more for him. Or her. hahha just thought if all the other plecs can survive in this tank well i could try a zebra. It would thrive if given a zucchini a week i hear. Very finicky ... that is what would bother me . IT could get sickly if it gets to finicky and i do have alot of catfish. Two big plecs well chubby plecs.

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I googled zebra plecs to help you look for one and I stumbled upon this thread on another forum.Dang,these people are serious!
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=148078
:goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: thanks i am reading that now. thanks alot. i love this fish. Never thought i would be good enough to manage to keep one. But if discus can live in a tank surely this can.

William
12-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Aquarium bred Discus are much hardier than these guys.

fins_n_fur
12-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I have been toying with this in the back of my head for a while, but the 300 euro price tag for a pair is what's keeping me back.

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 11:20 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]okay what do i do here if i want to go out there and get a zebra... i get driftwood.... zuchs for him... sinking tabs of seachem foods. Keep the water quality high... would a discus leave a zebra alone ...but then again the water parameters would be off. I don't think a zebra would like it as acidic. Just thinking of that center piece of driftwood in a tank with a zebra. 30 0 a pair the same or a little less than a breeding pair of discus...i don't know what a breeding pair of discus would fetch. my other female discus decided to lay eggs today but they were eaten. Now there are two in the tank wanting to breed. :goldfish:

Algenco
12-07-2008, 12:49 AM
No, they wouldn't have their preferred environment with discus.

Zebras are found in fast flowing sections of the river.
Breeders keep them in bare tanks with lots of terracotta spawning caves and high current flows directed at the caves

cer
12-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I saw one for $200

Demjor19
12-08-2008, 04:19 PM

Were on the same page here! I almost bought a small group of them a while back, but couldnt justify the initial investment. Of course if they bred it would be well worth it!

They are usually around $300-$400 a piece here.

fraggle
12-26-2008, 05:32 AM
Crikeys! If you lot are paying that much for a zebra, I'd hate to see what the price of one here is Oz is considering I pay nearly $300 for a clown pleco!!! LOL Would have to re-mortgage my house to breed them, LOL

Dave66
12-26-2008, 05:48 AM
I quote myself:
"Many small stone caves can be constructed with the mouths of the caves facing the current. They may spawn in them, or the tight gaps between the rounded stones, or both. Substrate can be sand or the tank can be bare bottomed.

The male will jam his head (males have larger heads than females) into the mouth of his chosen cave and it's up to a gravid female to convince him to move for a moment so she can lay her eggs. She rushes out, he rushes in and fertilizes the eggs. It may take the pairs a few tries to get the spawning routine right, but when they do, you can expect about a dozen eggs per spawn.

The eggs will take a week to hatch, and about 2 weeks to absorb their eggs sacks and begin feeding. The fry will take meaty prepared and frozen foods right away, and baby brine shrimp are taken with gusto by the little zebras.

The slow growth of the fry and the small number of eggs is why demand always outstrips supply. It can take three months for the fry to reach a salable size of an inch."

From my Loricariad primer stickied at the top of the pleco forum.

That is why they are so expensive; small spawns and at least 90 days before the fry reach a salable size. Demand for both captive-bred and wild caught examples is so high seller can post whatever price they choose to, and people will pay it. If zebra plecos were as prolific and fast-growing as common plecos are, the sellers wouldn't have the income largesse they are currently enjoying.

Dave

johnpeezy
12-26-2008, 06:25 AM
the zebra pleco is (supposed to be) banned from export, the same thing has just happened to the queen aerobesque. If your lucky(and do some searching www.zebrapleco.com *hint*) you may be able to find a local breeder who will put you on a list for upcoming batches.

I know a private breeder from new york and spokane both charge between 120-160 dollars per pleco and both only sell in quantites between 5-8.

preference is given to local pickup rather then shipping.

120 dollars sounds cheap in all, but 700 dollars is quite a bit for 5 +/- 1 inch fish.

the investment is definitly a long term one, for them to achieve breeding size usually take about 3 years from this size.

I'm waiting on 5 myself and possibly will be able to get them next month.

my suggestion to you:
1.) track down a local breeder
2.)practic3 w/ B/N plecos (I use L204)
3.) pick his/her brain
4.) buy a decent quantity of plecos (and a 40 gallon breeder)
5.) mimic his/her tank setup

Northernguy
12-26-2008, 03:24 PM
johnpeezy are you going to be breeding to sell?
If so keep me in mind please!:22:

johnpeezy
12-26-2008, 05:02 PM
johnpeezy are you going to be breeding to sell?
If so keep me in mind please!:22:

lol, let me get back to you in about 3 1/2 years
by then I may know if I'm breeding them to sell

Northernguy
12-27-2008, 03:36 AM
lol I'll wait here!:22:

cer
12-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Zebra plecos stay small.

LosC
12-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Try aquabid.com