PDA

View Full Version : rainbow savage fish!!!

LORENZO
12-05-2008, 11:56 PM
:help: :help: new rainbow fish acting out! oh yes a bully a bad fish... a bad seed oh yeah. Naughty fish. My other one rainbow i bought this week has gone in hiding... it is frightening my harlequin. IT is going back tomorrow. Nasty fish. I thought these fish were peaceful non-aggressive community fish. This thing just goes right at the smaller rainbow. Worse than a breeding angel. Anyone out there keeping these rainbow fish. It is a beautiful coloured fish as well. Too bad i have to lose him.

Ryuu
12-06-2008, 12:04 AM
I noticed that a lot of "peacfull" fish, can get very very aggressive. I really think that it depends on the fish.

Nobodynotime
12-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Mine are nice and keep to themselves, they never leave each others side. Wierd

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 01:57 AM
:goldfish: first time i bothered with these fish. oh and it is not a nice one. IT is healthy nothing wrong with it. but it just keeps harassing the other rainbow and glowlight. How big is your rainbow do they get to be three inches\?

mac
12-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Hi,
Right for starters we have to know some facts. What size tank is he kept in?
What are the water parameters? What is the temp of the water? What type of Rainbow is it. Rainbow is not a great way to say you have a Rainbow fish, and saying this Rainbow fish did this and that. There are large amounts of Rainbows out there that come from Australia and Pupa New Guinea, so it is hard for us to know exactly what type you have. Also you should not keep Rainbows by them selves. This will add to some stress on the fish. But not any of this type of behavior.

Now as from all my research there is only one aggressive Rainbow fish. Which is this one.
http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://badmanstropicalfish.com/your-fish/rainbow_blue.jpg&imgrefurl=http://badmanstropicalfish.com/rainbow.html&usg=__1-KmS6f5sI_ZH6l8XrpI38xh9l8=&h=251&w=343&sz=18&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=9Ij0i_98is90sM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBowhead%2BRainbows%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3De n%26sa%3DX

I keep Kutubus, which according to a lot of people can be very aggressive. And mine never harm my Crown Tail Betta at all. I also keep Thread Fine Rainbows, Dwarf Neon Rainbows. All of these never give trouble. I also know many who have other types of rainbows with no aggressive behavior.

Now my last question is this.
Are you sure you have a Rainbow fish? Can you post a pic of it.

mac

mac
12-06-2008, 03:19 AM
[COLOR="Blue"] IT is healthy nothing wrong with it. but it just keeps harassing the other rainbow and glowlight.

If it is a true Rainbow it wont be happy at all. Because it is by it's self.

mac

Dave66
12-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Mac is quite correct. Rainbowfish are schooling fish, and it is unnatural for them to be alone or in pairs. If you had bought a school of six or more of the rainbows, you wouldn't have the aggression problems you do.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
12-06-2008, 04:11 AM
If it is a true Rainbow it wont be happy at all. Because it is by it's self.

mac

I have Kutubu, too, but only 2 males and one female and just have to get some more from a spawn. They stick to themselves on one end of the tank, the boesemani's stick pretty much together and the Splendida just storm all over the place. The Spendida are pretty nuts, very frantic swimmers and eaters and the dominate bows in my tank. Of course I had a spawn from them so have many more of them.

My Kutubu are cool with that orange and yellow flashing streak on their head and for the first time today, they turned green. Strange fish.

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 12:04 PM
[COLOR="Blue":fish: :goldfish: This is really good thanks! Mac i will post a pic. Lady Hobbs you have solved the problem. IT is a splendida. Remember that pic i sent you earlier. Well then if they dart like that all over the place brute! Anyway i will just get another one. I have now just the two. Never kept them wanted to try them. Beautiful he is though a shame to give him back. but i don't want a manic fish. I like the gourami pace.Thanks everyone. now to go check that pic Mac sent.

mac
12-07-2008, 02:33 AM
IT is a splendida. Remember that pic i sent you earlier. Well then if they dart like that all over the place brute!

These fish are not brutes. They are just hyper active like Barbs. With out the nipping. When kept right these fish are wonderfully nice. Try and get 3 or so of them like Hobbs. As Hobbs has said 2 males and female, you are fine, that way. Because the fish is able to interact more happily, instead of moving around the tank scared out of it's wits.

now to go check that pic Mac sent.

Are you meaning me, mac?
Because if so I never sent you any pic????????

Cheers,
mac

LORENZO
12-07-2008, 11:40 PM
:goldfish: :fish: :goldfish: okay. But i did get three of them. They never stopped. Hyper things. I will try again. i know everyone says how mild tempered they are. They are stunning fish. Nice a big as well. Would look great in this 125.

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2008, 09:07 PM
As of today, all my Splendida have been moved into their own tank. They are nuts, dominate the whole tank and keep my other bows on one end of the tank. Now that they are in their own tank, they are nice and not so nuts and my turquoise and boesemani's are certainly happier now, too, and no longer trying to hide.