PDA

View Full Version : amano schrimp in with discus?

LORENZO
12-05-2008, 10:17 AM
These schrimp would be a really good addition to a disucs tank? What substrate do they need ? What plants? Easy to feed i hear and wonderful brown algae eaters. Is there any chance they would not eat the shrimp. The fishmann here says they would be okay i have my doubts. they would look beautiful though. Anyone ever keep a small frog -albino in with them?:hmm3grin2orange:

Fishguy2727
12-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I have shrimp in with mine (not sure how many are left) but anything that fits in their mouth will end up there, so they end up just getting eaten eventually. I would try ghost shrimp first since they are cheaper and see how long they last before I would put in the more expensive amano.

LORENZO
12-06-2008, 01:02 AM
oh hello you are around. yes i was thinking of shrimp and what do you get that would take care of brown algae besides a plec ? They kill the plecs. So i am tired of all this brown algae... wonder if it is those omega pellets... Did you ever keep discus?
how do you stay sane with all those pets and fish? You have a reef right? now what would happen if one of those expensive fish croaked?
but yes getting back to the ghost vs amano schrimp you really do think they would get along well in discus tank? Beatiful schrimp they are .. ihave never kept one. .. how much are they?:fish:

SpyderSpy6
12-15-2008, 05:38 AM
I have a fleet of about 7 ghost shrimp in my 75 gallon. I have 6 full size discus and they don't mess with them. The shrimp range from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch in length. The only time they came close was when I dropped them in for the first time. I'm assuming the discus naturally assumed they were food.

The shrimp are excellent clean up crew! I don't specifically feed them and they have lived healthily in my tank for close to a year now. I recommend getting a handful for your fish tank!

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 11:48 AM
:fish: :fish: What a beautiful discus you have there!!! Okay yes ghost schrimp the only problem is finding some of them. So good scavengers are they. Bet they would look good against this red substrate. Could you send me a pic or did you post one. wow very nice discus. I have posted pics the gallery. I am off to find out all the info i can now on ghost schrimp.

LORENZO
12-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Just one question- will a corydoras bother a ghost schrimp. I was just reading that they are vunerable to other fish eating them. They would only be going in a tank with discus and neons and small corydoras catfish. Do you think this should be okay?:fish: :fish:

jestep
02-01-2009, 02:34 AM
As long as the shrimp aren't eaten and the shrimp can handle the high temp you should be fine. Most shrimp I've seen don't do well in 80+ water. I keep my discus at 86 - 88deg.

troy
02-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Old thread!:spam: