PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Tank Advice & Help

Demi ^_^
12-05-2008, 05:01 AM
KK, I have been thinking about what I really want for Xmas, so many combinations and tank ideas have popped into my head (I have MTS TOOOOOOO bad lolz)

I am thinking: what about a breeding tank?

Say about 20g+...

What would I need?

& also, I was thinking of like, the Angels being in the main 42g, but when I want to definately have some bubs, I could put the pair in the breeder and wait for the eggs... would that work?

LORENZO
12-05-2008, 10:38 AM
HEllo maybe you could put the pair in a 30 gallon. Don't want the parents over stressed. Or take sword leaf-sometimes they spawn on that and move that to the breeding tank. I have a similiar problem now in trying to get discus moved to a breeding tank. ONe could get into this collecting of tanks!!!

Demi ^_^
12-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks!

I am now thinking it would be better to do what you said about moving the leaf or rock/etc embedded with the eggs... I think that would be better and easier LOL.

I talked it over with mum and she said: I'll think about it, you just be good and see what santa brings ya! and I know what that MEANS! :))))))

I am thinking 15-20g with bare bottem, heater, sponge filter, thermometre... Would I have to have a CUC? Or could I have anything in their to keep the cycle going even when their are no fish or eggs in there?

Northernguy
12-05-2008, 04:01 PM
You will need a fish in the tank to keep it cycled.

Demi ^_^
12-05-2008, 11:28 PM
KK ummm... what type of fish? This is where it confuses me... what type of fish could go in adn stay in without eating the eggs or fry I put in there?

Northernguy
12-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Get another school of tetras to keep it cycled!That should equal out the bio-load!

Demi ^_^
12-06-2008, 12:36 AM
But would the tetras eat any fry or eggs? I want to use this breedinbg tank not only for My Angels eggs, but maybe any cory eggs/etc... I'll have to have a research looksee lolz

Demi ^_^
12-06-2008, 05:18 AM
Yayyy! Mum has been looking on eBay all day at tanks for me for Xmas! I told her about the breeding tank I want and she is now looking at 2-2.5ft tanks :))))))))))

What else do I need? A bare bottom, a sponge filter, heater and thermometre?

What other fish? If any? I am really worried about this bit coz I need a fish that won't eat eggs and fry, plus I want it too be hardy...

DrNic
12-13-2008, 04:23 AM
From my experience there are 2 ways to breed angels.

If you can find a pair that will parent raise you can use a 40-55G barebottom tank for the pair with a sponge filter. This will give the fish and fry plenty of space.

On the other hand some pairs can't raise their own young (they are eaten or ignored, etc.). In these cases its best to keep the pair in a 20G tank (can be gravel bottom), then pull the eggs out and grow them up in a barebottom 30-50G tank.

In either case, be sure to setup the tanks so you can change their water quite a bit. My pairs would usually get 50% weekly, fry 25-50% daily. Angels usually like 78-80*F. If you plan to breed I wouldn't really keep many other fish in the tanks, they will probably eat the eggs, or get attacked by the angelfish when they lay the eggs. The only fish I use is bristlenose plecos but even then this is only in tanks where I pull the eggs. (As soon as the lights go off the plecos will eat the eggs.)

Hope this helps.

Wild Turkey
12-13-2008, 04:39 AM
But would the tetras eat any fry or eggs? I want to use this breedinbg tank not only for My Angels eggs, but maybe any cory eggs/etc... I'll have to have a research looksee lolz

I think NG means, keep the school in there until you put eggs/fry in and at the same time put the school in the other tank. The old switcheroo

If so, I agree great advice

A divider is another possibility, and there are also other ways of separating them without moving them out, if you so wish.

Northernguy
12-13-2008, 01:43 PM
LOL That is exactly what I meant!thumbs2: