PDA

View Full Version : Betta got pop eye!!

lovleeko
12-05-2008, 03:37 AM
:14: I'm really upset by this. I keep my bettas water extremely clean. From what I know about popeye it is caused by bad water conditions. I can't believe this!!! I have to get up and go strait to petsmart tomorrow and get meds for her eye. I might have to take her out of the five gallon and put her in a one gallon to make water changes easier. Since I'll be changing every three days. This stinks!!:scry:

Wild Turkey
12-05-2008, 04:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your betta, i doubt it was caused by an error on your part, how new is the fish?

I would keep it in the 5 gallon and suck it up(pardon the metaphor) :shappy:

lovleeko
12-05-2008, 05:19 AM
I've had her for a little while now. Maybe three months. SO that's why I was freaked out by the thought of it. I test the water. Nothing has been up with it. It's been great. I am so annoyed. I have one established tank giving me probs and a big tank in the middle of a cycle. Plus regular maintenance with the bettas and other established tanks.

On the up side I seem to have caught it pretty early. I'll go buy the meds in the morning. It seems some consider it easy to treat and some not. I have my fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear about your betta, i doubt it was caused by an error on your part, how new is the fish?

I would keep it in the 5 gallon and suck it up(pardon the metaphor) :shappy:

Northernguy
12-05-2008, 05:56 AM
Thats bad news,Sorry to hear it!
I hope you have more luck than I did.I lost a guppy from it.

Wild Turkey
12-05-2008, 01:20 PM
If you caught it early it should be quite treatable, nothing to loose your head over.
I realize tank maintenance and startup can be a beotch, but after a while it will get easier and you will get more effective at it.

Believe it or not one day you will have the time to just "sit and watch". I promise

Right now im experimentally cycling a tank, seeding another tank, dealing with bacterially cycling the bettas 10g, getting rdy to seed yet another tank, and of course regular maintenance on two, its only gonna get worse, however it could be worse, some people have more established tanks than i have empty ones right now.

Once you get your two tanks established and running smoothly things should get a lot easier and more enjoyable.

lovleeko
12-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the encouragement WT. I hope so for sure. I get what you mean though. Even when I get done cycling the other tanks once I add them to the list of established tanks I'll have quite a bit of tanks.

I did catch it pretty early though. One of her eyes is pretty okay. The other one is just starting to swell but is very hazy. I'm going to be hard at work trying to save the eye. I really dont want to loose her.

Kathyd
12-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Sorry to hear about that! I hope he gets better. Keep us posted.

angelcakes
12-05-2008, 05:52 PM
sorry to hear,good luck